The Power of the Mind

The board to share all your fiction
coolguy69
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

The Power of the Mind

Post by coolguy69 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:08 am

The first thing most people noticed about Amanda was that she was short. At 4’11”, she was the shortest of her peers. A growth spurt at age 12 had sent her up to that height, but from then on, she never grew an inch. As she went into high school and beyond, everyone else grew, while she didn’t change. And interestingly, even as an adult, she enjoyed it.
Before everyone around her was taller, when Amanda was a child, she had a profound taste for fairies, borrowers, and other fantastical stories of small women. Reminders of her height were sometimes frustrating, yet there was always a part of her that wanted it. A mantra in her thoughts were “I want to be small”. It always gave her comfort and peace of mind.
The past 18 months, she had been tapping into a new wave of body-and-mind healing, The Wim Hof Method. In this method, people use the Power of the Mind to overcome what their pains are, what their limitations are. In the process, she learned how to control her emotions, her thoughts, and calm her mind. And in this honing of her abilities of controlling herself, she accidentally learned a new skill.
She could actually hone in on how to feel smaller.
It was a perspective shift, as she stood in front of the mirror after a cold shower. For two weeks, she would chant to herself, “I want to be smaller. I want to be smaller.” And on the 14th day, she noticed something. She was shrinking, to her mind’s eye!
The moment she snapped out of it, she was normal again. It was a perspective shift, a power of the mind. She wasn’t actually shrinking, she was wholly imagining it. This pushed her further. She continued to hone this skill.
On day 23 of this practice, it happened. “I want to be smaller. I want to be smaller.” And in the mirror, she shrank. And she closed her eyes. And opened them again. And looked. She was still smaller in the mirror. And the counter, the bathroom counter was taller! Her eyes widened, and she blushed. Had she actually shrunk? What was this? Two, maybe three seconds of pondering this – and she lost her focus and grew back to her normal height.
“Wow”, she muttered, amazed by this ability.
She continued to train. By day 30, she was able to make herself a little tinier for 10 minutes. By day 42, she could do it automatically, without focusing. And by day 69, she had done it.
She could shrink herself on command. The Power of the Mind.
Continuing this, she learned how to shrink, smaller, and smaller. 4 feet tall. 3 feet tall. By the time Halloween rolled around, she was able to shrink herself down to just 27 inches tall. Standing in front of the bathroom counter that now towered over her, she reached up for her toothbrush, and could not nab it, even standing on her tippy toes. She felt tiny, and she felt complete. Something about this experience was magical. What she learned was that if she “felt” tiny, she would remain tiny. As she continued to struggle around, reaching up for the bathroom door handle, or climbing up into her bed at her tiny size, she continued to stay small. It was a trick of the mind, after all. Once her mind was set adrift, such as by falling asleep, or if she decided it was enough and that she wanted to actually brush her teeth, it was then that she would grow back to normal size.
She had done all of this on her own. For the Halloween party, it was time to show off this superpower to her friends. And what better costume to wear than Alice in Wonderland?
She showed up in her garb, the blue and white dress, white stockings, black shoes, hair dyed yellow. It was obvious to her friends why she wore the costume – at her height, she was the shortest person at the party. It was more a question of why she hadn’t dressed up as Alice beforehand. But she had a reason beyond the personal theme of her height. She was about to show everyone something special.
For the show, she brought a vial that said “drink me” on it. It was like she was a magician performing in front of a crowd. She just needed a stage.
In the kitchen, a few people were hanging out, dressed in their own Halloween costumes. And short little Alice walked into the room.
“This potion can shrink me!” she announced to the crowd. The statement got a few people’s slight laugh and playful going-along-with-this-skit of cheering her on to drink.
“Woooo!!!” said Scream, holding up a shot of tequila. “I’ll drink to that!”
“Cheers!” said Wonder Woman. And there were six of them total, all clinking their glasses.
And as Amanda drank, she focused her mind on being small. “I want to feel smaller” was no longer a mantra, it was a state of mind.
And she shrunk.
“WHOOOOAAA!!!!” Scream shouted, empty tequila glass in hand. “What the… fuuuuuuu….dge?” Blushing, Amanda looked up at him.
“I told you!” she peeped out. At this size, her voice was softer, higher pitched. In a word, it was tinier.
“That’s so cool! So how do you make it stop?” said Wonder Woman. “I wouldn’t wanna be stuck that way.”
“It’s okay. It’s just practice with the mind!” she peeped. “here, watch!” And she focused her mind on growing back.
But with everyone staring at her, she couldn’t.
She was stuck. At a tiny 30 inches tall, everyone around her was gigantic. Wonder Woman became Wonder Hulk, a beautiful giantess of 8 feet. And Scream became the next Dead by Daylight killer – a stealthy, 9 foot tall, lumbering black fountain of nightmares.
The experience only made her feel smaller. And she shrunk down, even more, without drinking her “magic” potion, to 24 inches small.
“Did she just get smaller?” Scream said. “Duuuuuude……that’s radical”
“I’m a little worried,” Wonder Woman said. “You okay, Alice?”
Amanda just looked up and blushed. She felt infinitely tinier from dwindling down further and could not stop. In a panic, fear, whatever the feeling was that was making her tiny heart pound, she closed her eyes. “It’s just the mind. I trained for this. I’m not small. I’m not small!!!”
But opening her eyes, everyone had only become larger, and she was the centerpiece of everyone’s attention. There was wonder, there was concern, there was amazement. Her panic was driving her to feel even smaller than before, which, was the Power of the Mind. But this time, she was no longer in control.
No one knew that if they kept being around her and giving her the attention she had, she wouldn’t be able to grow back.

Supernaut
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

I really hope that there is more!

Post by Supernaut » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:07 am

This is an awesome idea, and very well-written!
My best friend gave me the best advice ;)
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Re: The Power of the Mind

Post by chaser984 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:26 pm

I fine bit of flash-fiction. I hope she get things under control after she disappears from sight.

coolguy69
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Re: I really hope that there is more!

Post by coolguy69 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 pm

Supernaut wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:07 am
This is an awesome idea, and very well-written!
Thanks!
chaser984 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:26 pm
I fine bit of flash-fiction. I hope she get things under control after she disappears from sight.
Not quite what I had in mind, since I prefer my ladies to be in-sight and with a more romantic flavor, but a fine idea indeed :)

I had the idea commissioned (I enjoy the idea as I practice the Wim Hof method myself, and indeed 'The Power of the Mind' is real), and these are the results!

https://www.deviantart.com/onclejazz/ar ... -946868602
https://www.deviantart.com/onclejazz/ar ... -946868914
https://www.deviantart.com/onclejazz/ar ... -946869066