Blah, Ennui, and Listlessness

A board to discuss all your real world problems.

Or to troll about politics I guess :D :P
Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Blah, Ennui, and Listlessness

Post by Prof Sai » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:36 pm

With the world tearing itself apart, I feel a sort of paralysis. I gather there is a lot of this going around. I meet groups and everyone just wants to chat and not DO ANYTHING. And on my own, it's hard to find any goal that seems doable and practical. What to do?

i am insane
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Blah, Ennui, and Listlessness

Post by i am insane » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 pm

Keeping in mind I'm a nobody who isn't qualified to do anything.... in a general sense, this sounds somewhat like depression, and I'll point out the usual stuff I do when I talk to my friends about it:

Get sunlight whenever possible. Practice self care, don't overwork yourself if you can help it, make an effort to do things you enjoy, etc.

On goals... well, what do you want to do? Do you want to be productive? Help? Achieve something? Figure out, at least in a general sense, what you want, what motivates you. Once you do, pick out something you know you can do to help that goal along, even if it's not big. If you want to... get in shape, for example, make a goal like doing 'X amount of exercises a day'. It doesn't have to be big, it just has to be something you know you could achieve, not just once, but every day. Start small, build from there.
Power is choice.

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Hey! One of the replies disappeared? (Sal). Everyone is running away from me!

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:18 am

i am insane wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 pm
On goals... well, what do you want to do?
I guess what I want... is to have friends. People who invite me to be with them and and then do fun things.

i am insane
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by i am insane » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:02 am

Prof Sai wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:18 am
i am insane wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 pm
On goals... well, what do you want to do?
I guess what I want... is to have friends. People who invite me to be with them and and then do fun things.
Alright, well, stupid as it sounds, the answer as far as I can tell is as simple as just.... trying to make friends. Which isn't exactly helpful, I realize.

Perhaps more realistically the better answer is to put yourself in a position to be able to make friends who do fun things you like. For example: around where I live there's this... I'm not sure what to call it, but game place, where people can play games inside together. This is a thing I like doing, to some degree, and if I was less of a disaster on several levels and not constantly too exhausted to be a person, I could go there, have fun, and hopefully find people with similar interests that way.

So, taking this with large amounts of salt, I'd advise you to look around your area, or to research around it, and find a place that, 1, is an activity that you like, and 2, people will spend time in together. Then... spend time there while trying to be open to people, and see if you make a connection with someone. This is complicated by covid, of course, but... that's the best I got.
Power is choice.

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:40 pm

Thank you.