Margot Robbie promises her 'Barbie' movie will surprise viewers

Discuss all the SW in the media and share links to videos etc.
Giant-Man1984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Margot Robbie promises her 'Barbie' movie will surprise viewers

Post by Giant-Man1984 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:15 pm

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/margot-robb ... _Mg0kinHIF

Seeing shrunken Margot Robbie in a movie is a dream come true for me.😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 Probably the interactions will be more F / f than M / f, but that's fine for me anyway. Of course, hoping they are adult interactions with little Margot. :D :D :D :D

shrinky
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Margot Robbie promises her 'Barbie' movie will surprise viewers

Post by shrinky » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm

A live-action Barbie movie directed by Greta Gerwig and written or revised by Noah Baumbach? I don't think there are going to be any size gags at all if you ask me. Could be a good movie, but I doubt there will be anything in it for the patrons of this particular message board. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

kira123
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by kira123 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:01 am

shrinky wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm
A live-action Barbie movie directed by Greta Gerwig and written or revised by Noah Baumbach? I don't think there are going to be any size gags at all if you ask me. Could be a good movie, but I doubt there will be anything in it for the patrons of this particular message board. I hope I'm wrong, of course.
Yeah, Hollywood has been pretty dumb and PC lately. But we can still hope for the best that it won't turn out that way. We already learned enough of that the hard way from movies like Life Size and Downsizing.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:42 pm

shrinky wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm
I don't think there are going to be any size gags at all if you ask me.
Well, looks like shrinky was half-right, there is size content in the teaser, but she is shown as a Giantess (of course...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zIf0XvoL9Y

(I get the "2001" reference, and I know it's just a teaser, but still...)

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:07 pm

This took me by surprise today. I actually saw an image of the teaser yesterday, but for some reason it didn't hit me that Barbie was giant size. I'm still hopeful that the movie will feature some size content, be it in the film itself or in its promotion.
"There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter."
https://www.deviantart.com/somehatter54

shrinky
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by shrinky » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:20 pm

The trailer is hilarious.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:06 pm

Trailer #2 is up :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyt3Ov4zz0

Nothing size-related, and I'm starting to doubt there will be any size content at all, but seems like a fun movie anyway.

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:14 pm

foreverlurk wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:06 pm
Trailer #2 is up :

Nothing size-related, and I'm starting to doubt there will be any size content at all, but seems like a fun movie anyway.
Agreed, it does seem to be funny, and at least the Beach Boys style soundtrack is fun fun fun too! :)
sally g, reincarnated.

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:17 pm

Trailer #2 is up :

Yeah, this really looks like just another "famous character jumps into Real World and does meta-stuff" so far, but I'm coming away from this with 3 points that could still lead to a surprise:

-In broad terms, *why* does this plot seem so basic and familiar? Are Gerwig and the writers unaware of how often this has been done while saying we'll be "surprised?" I don't know how savvy in general Gerwig is about stuff like this, but I really get the feeling the plot (vaguely) outlined trailer is a drop in the bucket - it just seems too obvious.

-We don't have a good idea, not just about why exactly Barbie goes to the Real World, but what the relationship is between Barbie and the real people. Like, what *is* Barbie if she isn't a doll? She appears human-sized walking into Will Ferrell's office and presumably she's confronting Mattel about the use of her image or some-such, so what is she that people want to make a doll of her?

-Among the gazillion other stars, at :51 was Kate McKinnon as...something. I'm gonna guess it was a version of Barbie or some other brand doll that was abused and abandoned (she flops broken to the floor and it looks like her hair was cut and colored haphazardly). I doubt she's only there as a quick gag so maybe her situation suggests something bigger about the plot and Barbieland's relationship to humans?

I know, speculation is pointless, but gosh it's fun :P

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:06 pm

rscholar wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:17 pm
I enjoyed reading your thoughts there RS (Gosh! Some of you guys are so erudite when discussing these topics, it's like an education just reading what you say).

Though the bottom line seems to be, we aren't ever going to get any meaningful fulfillment from the film industry in products like this, but at least it should be a fun watch (probably). I feel it's just another case where we'll grasp at any straw for some comfort and hope.

But maybe one of these days.. ?
sally g, reincarnated.

Josh the Cyborg
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Josh the Cyborg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:14 am

Based off the Promotional Material I think we might get Something akin to the First Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse Web Series. Like it might be a Live action movie but set in a Toy world complete with Toy Physics. I hope to see Something Size related that is related to Barbie's Actual Size, but Mattel has always tried to play it Safe with Barbie and stay in the Middle and Simultaneously make Barbie Appeal to every Audience they can. Its why they held out So long on Giving Barbie and Friends Different Body Types and why they Cancelled the OG Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse which honestly wasn't offensive at all but Mattel was afraid of it being Accused being Sexist because of it leaning so heavily into the Barbieverse Canon even though it was in a very Jokingly way. Though I think Mattel may be going back to making Barbie Goofier again which to me is Welcome. While I would love to see SW content in the Movie in the "Real World" the Doll World takes place underfoot of, I will be welcomingly Suprised if we see an actually Tiny Margot Robbie outside of a Cameo of the Enevitable Barbie doll version of her that will be Sold after the Movie releases.
Also if Mattel is aware of US they have probably Assumed they don't need to do anything to Appeal to us Because Barbie is Already Tiny.

Ok I can't hide the Fact that I am a huge Adult Male Barbie Fan now....

(Thats also why when Mattel Finally did give Barbie Body Types, they didn't just Appeal to the Media dogging them and use "Realistic" Proportions but they gave her all 4 to 5 Female Body types, because the Mathmatical Average was not going to Apeal to as much People as Possible.)
just you're Local Doll Loving, Shrunken Women Obsessed Loon
-Lexcelius

Josh the Cyborg
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Josh the Cyborg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:39 am

rscholar wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:17 pm
Trailer #2 is up :

Yeah, this really looks like just another "famous character jumps into Real World and does meta-stuff" so far, but I'm coming away from this with 3 points that could still lead to a surprise:

-In broad terms, *why* does this plot seem so basic and familiar? Are Gerwig and the writers unaware of how often this has been done while saying we'll be "surprised?" I don't know how savvy in general Gerwig is about stuff like this, but I really get the feeling the plot (vaguely) outlined trailer is a drop in the bucket - it just seems too obvious.

-We don't have a good idea, not just about why exactly Barbie goes to the Real World, but what the relationship is between Barbie and the real people. Like, what *is* Barbie if she isn't a doll? She appears human-sized walking into Will Ferrell's office and presumably she's confronting Mattel about the use of her image or some-such, so what is she that people want to make a doll of her?

-Among the gazillion other stars, at :51 was Kate McKinnon as...something. I'm gonna guess it was a version of Barbie or some other brand doll that was abused and abandoned (she flops broken to the floor and it looks like her hair was cut and colored haphazardly). I doubt she's only there as a quick gag so maybe her situation suggests something bigger about the plot and Barbieland's relationship to humans?

I think it was quickly Covered up but I think there was an Early Plot Leak that Margot is Playing a Barbie who was an Outcast in Barbieland because she wasn't Barbie Enough or Something, if thats the Case than I expect Margot to be playing either a Clutz or Girly Girl with a bit of Tom boyish-ness or Clutzy Tom Boyish Girly Girl.
just you're Local Doll Loving, Shrunken Women Obsessed Loon
-Lexcelius

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm

So while searching the internet, I found these. There from the latest (or upcoming) edition of Vogue magazine.

"There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter."

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Wed May 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Some Wanderer wrote: ↑
Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm
So while searching the internet, I found these. There from the latest (or upcoming) edition of Vogue magazine.
Vogue, really? Interesting... looks like a collage someone from this community could have done.

Those are very nice but I'm still thinking this movie will have zero SW moments in it.

Giant-Man1984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by Giant-Man1984 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 pm

Holy God!!! Margot Robbie is damn hot as a shrunken woman. It would be a real waste, if in "Barbie", we don't have to see it that way about her. But from the 2 trailers it seems that her world and ours, she is of normal size

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 pm

Just my humble opinion of course, but they should have made it in a "Toy Story" style....dolls when humans are around, but "come to life" when they are on their own. Could have a lot of interesting interactions with people playing or handling the dolls, with closeups of real actors faces responding to their handling of them.

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Wed May 24, 2023 11:11 pm

DocRick wrote: ↑
Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 pm
Just my humble opinion of course, but they should have made it in a "Toy Story" style....dolls when humans are around, but "come to life" when they are on their own. Could have a lot of interesting interactions with people playing or handling the dolls, with closeups of real actors faces responding to their handling of them.
Nothing wrong with that idea Doc, and they have the technology to use "real" people throughout that sort of scenario too.

But of course we all know we shouldn't hold our breath in the hope it'll happen.
sally g, reincarnated.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Thu May 25, 2023 12:51 am

Little Sally wrote: ↑
Wed May 24, 2023 11:11 pm

Nothing wrong with that idea Doc, and they have the technology to use "real" people throughout that sort of scenario too.

But of course we all know we shouldn't hold our breath in the hope it'll happen.
Very true. The actors could just have to maintain "the pose" while humans are present or handling them. Like this:

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Thu May 25, 2023 1:18 am

Just a quickie.....I couldn't find a good quality photograph.

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Thu May 25, 2023 4:15 am

Wed May 24, 2023 5:04 pm
Vogue, really? Interesting... looks like a collage someone from this community could have done.

Those are very nice but I'm still thinking this movie will have zero SW moments in it.
I'm not holding my breath if the movie will have any sw content in it. However I was hopeful that the film's promotion could give us something which it has and that's better than nothing.

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Thu May 25, 2023 6:11 pm

WB has released the "Main Trailer" with more on the plot.

https://youtu.be/hNEmArEojhI

alexshrinker
Visitor
Visitor

Post by alexshrinker » Thu May 25, 2023 6:49 pm

A little disappointing

bobvan2
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by bobvan2 » Sat May 27, 2023 6:49 pm

alexshrinker wrote: ↑
Thu May 25, 2023 6:49 pm
A little disappointing
Does not look promising in the SW dept.

bbqplat
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Post by bbqplat » Tue May 30, 2023 1:37 pm

Yeah, the thing is that Barbie (the character) has never been canonically the size of Barbie the doll. It's like how GI Joe isn't about a bunch of tiny dudes. It's not a Polly Pocket situation.

Still will probably see it, the fact they've got an actually talented director to make it (who seems to believe in it) has me intrigued.

jeffrey-dallas
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by jeffrey-dallas » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:13 pm

"You're like, really tiny."
"Thanks. I had no idea."