Gen V - The Boys Spinoff

Discuss all the SW in the media and share links to videos etc.
foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Re: Gen V - The Boys Spinoff

Post by foreverlurk » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:14 am

Mercurius wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:42 am
OK, guys. Prepare for disappointment.
Well, I for one didn't think the SW scene was disappointing, maybe because my hype was kept in check.
rscholar wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:59 am
I swear somehow it's more endearing explicitly *because* she's so small, like her just standing there at that size was an act of vulnerability and baring herself to him.
YES, this, this a thousand times. Well said.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 am

A funny detail comparing Emma before and after, guessing she's 2 in to 6 in?

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:10 am

eddiegiantman wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 am

Holy crap, that's why her shoes were left behind! Awesome catch there!

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:21 am

rscholar wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:10 am

Holy crap, that's why her shoes were left behind! Awesome catch there!
I also thought the shoes were lost during the through and through but that also fits.

I just love her Polly Pocket clothes already stretching out.

ROGU3_20
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by ROGU3_20 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:47 am

eddiegiantman wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 am

Well Sam did say she grew a little bit. Looks like he noticed it faster. Sharp eye that guy was.

scidram
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by scidram » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:45 am

Yeah, Emma went big in episode 4, but it's not the end of the world. As others have said, we saw something in episode 1 that we never imagined we'd ever see in our lifetimes in a mainstream high-production value television show. Regardless of whether we never see her tiny again, that's a win. Even more of a win because she is clearly the most likable character in the series--and that's according to a majority of critics/reviewers of the show.

And yeah, my preferences are more of the SW variety, but I never expected this show to cater to my interests above what works for the world of the show. Emma going giant was teased in previous episodes, and it makes sense that she wouldn't have gone there prior to episode 4. In the episode 3 lunch scene with her mother, Mom asks if Emma has been eating enough because she looks a few inches shorter. Mom, who is definitely image-conscious, is obsessed with Emma being just the right size, and would much prefer her daughter to have the online thing as a tiny girl than a big one, purely for image reasons--something along the lines of tiny is cuter and more marketable, while giant isn't pretty.

But something else that I noticed is other than when Emma binges the meatballs in episode 4, we only see her picking at food, mostly protein bars. This is an intentional choice because all along, Emma knew what would happen if she eats too much. And this begs lots of questions about her natural metabolism. We know she shrinks when she purges, but what happens if she fasts? Would she shrink slowly? Does she wake up an inch or two (or a few) shorter each morning after not eating all night? And I think it's already been asked what happens if she pees and/or poops? I find all of this thoroughly fascinating, so no matter whether she's tiny, giant, or both in future episodes, I'm all in. TEAM EMMA ALL THE WAY!

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:21 am

scidram wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:45 am
Yeah, Emma went big in episode 4, but it's not the end of the world. As others have said, we saw something in episode 1 that we never imagined we'd ever see in our lifetimes in a mainstream high-production value television show. Regardless of whether we never see her tiny again, that's a win. Even more of a win because she is clearly the most likable character in the series--and that's according to a majority of critics/reviewers of the show.

And yeah, my preferences are more of the SW variety, but I never expected this show to cater to my interests above what works for the world of the show. Emma going giant was teased in previous episodes, and it makes sense that she wouldn't have gone there prior to episode 4. In the episode 3 lunch scene with her mother, Mom asks if Emma has been eating enough because she looks a few inches shorter. Mom, who is definitely image-conscious, is obsessed with Emma being just the right size, and would much prefer her daughter to have the online thing as a tiny girl than a big one, purely for image reasons--something along the lines of tiny is cuter and more marketable, while giant isn't pretty.

But something else that I noticed is other than when Emma binges the meatballs in episode 4, we only see her picking at food, mostly protein bars. This is an intentional choice because all along, Emma knew what would happen if she eats too much. And this begs lots of questions about her natural metabolism. We know she shrinks when she purges, but what happens if she fasts? Would she shrink slowly? Does she wake up an inch or two (or a few) shorter each morning after not eating all night? And I think it's already been asked what happens if she pees and/or poops? I find all of this thoroughly fascinating, so no matter whether she's tiny, giant, or both in future episodes, I'm all in. TEAM EMMA ALL THE WAY!
I think either we or some other outlet suggested that excretions wouldn't count because the food was already digested or there was still something in her stomach. I think it's more plausible that she's shrinks every morning because she hasn't eaten. I'm just confused about fasting vs. purging: the latter makes the shrinking happen quickly, but there hasn't been an indication if starving herself has the same effect even though her stomach would be just as empty. It'd be nice if they'd address it.

Emma just deciding to grow does indicate to me that she at least had an idea it could happen - seems unlikely it was just a snap decision to test it at that critical moment. Your point about marketing as tiny and cute, along with the notion that Emma *had* to know she could grow, made me speculate a long-shot twist:

Emma's mom explicitly forbids her to grow and has her concentrate on acting because growing would be a relatively useful power and her mom doesn't want her to become a crime-fighting superhero *because she's worried about her getting hurt/killed*. It's obviously really unlikely because all the other abuse and instilling unhealthy habits, but just maybe her mom still cares about her in an *extremely* warped way. I think that'd be a cool character twist - it's a revelation of legitimate love, but it's so sick it's as bad or worse than just letting her go.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:37 am

It does seem like she's been though this before hence why it seems she knew it could happen. Hence her feud with her mom and her mom controlling her still. It is crazy how had she not been Marie's roommate, not stayed and hugged the one guys penis, not met the social media darling that exposed her, not wrecking her self esteem only to get it back and trusting the Magnetic Nepobaby, she likely would still be making Little Cricket videos and not be part of the bigger yet menacing world that actually might help her.

The big question obviously is are we getting more Little Cricket Emma which seems likely despite the teaser for EP5 hinting a little more Big Emma.

Also Gen Vs writers room is prepping for S2 and NY Comic Con is this weekend, it is trending #1 on Prime so a S2 is likely but are getting more Emma is the question.

Jeebus
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Jeebus » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 am

eddiegiantman wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:37 am
The big question obviously is are we getting more Little Cricket Emma which seems likely despite the teaser for EP5 hinting a little more Big Emma.
I would bet that if there's another provocative scene with Emma this season, it's with her as a giantess, and that teaser might even show part of it. We'll be lucky to see her shrink again even once or twice. But I'm having a bad week, so maybe I'm just being cynical.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 am

Jeebus wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 am
eddiegiantman wrote:
I would bet that if there's another provocative scene with Emma this season, it's with her as a giantess, and that teaser might even show part of it. We'll be lucky to see her shrink again even once or twice. But I'm having a bad week, so maybe I'm just being cynical.
Pretty sure we might get something as Emma is shown sneaking back in the dorms so we will see.

I can't see it immediately immediately tomorrow due to family commitments but later the night.

ROGU3_20
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by ROGU3_20 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 am

eddiegiantman wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 am
Jeebus wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 am
eddiegiantman wrote:
Pretty sure we might get something as Emma is shown sneaking back in the dorms so we will see.

I can't see it immediately immediately tomorrow due to family commitments but later the night.
I honestly pray we get some, its looking a whole lot less now.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 pm

ROGU3_20 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 am
I honestly pray we get some, its looking a whole lot less now.
We will see, this episode is the one I have less faith on since this is mostly about Puppetvision.

Mercurius
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Mercurius » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:13 am

Yep. This week's episode has ZERO SW moments and one GTS moment with her in the pool. That's it.

Raso719
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Raso719 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:29 am

Mercurius wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:13 am
Yep. This week's episode has ZERO SW moments and one GTS moment with her in the pool. That's it.
Is that just aftermath from the prior episode or a new sequence?

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 am

Raso719 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:29 am
Mercurius wrote:
Yep, aftermath.

It's brief too

This was a short episode, next week is also not promising only because it's about to focus on Cate with a hint of more Puppetvision (Emma as a puppet) and the Boys connection with one of the guest stars.
SpoilerShow
You do find out she’s always been able to grow but her mom made her promise not to after an incident. She gets bunch of positive reinforcement and goes viral for being big which she is super happy about. So this might be a bad sign but I do think Little Cricket will pop up again.

ROGU3_20
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by ROGU3_20 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:29 am

eddiegiantman wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 am
Raso719 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:29 am
Mercurius wrote:
Yep, aftermath.

It's brief too

This was a short episode, next week is also not promising only because it's about to focus on Cate with a hint of more Puppetvision (Emma as a puppet) and the Boys connection with one of the guest stars.
SpoilerShow
You do find out she’s always been able to grow but her mom made her promise not to after an incident. She gets bunch of positive reinforcement and goes viral for being big which she is super happy about. So this might be a bad sign but I do think Little Cricket will pop up again.
I found that puppet segment ironically funny then to immediate horror once its all back to reality. How sweet it is for Emma (as a puppet) to manifest as his voice(?) of reason.

Jeebus
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Jeebus » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 am

They're definitely not leaning away towards growing or implying it has negative consequences, and it already bumped Emma's career. It's just a gut punch for most of our hopes in this character. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but hope is the killer.

Also just realized she's Jiminy Cricket and the puppets are a reversal of that

ROGU3_20
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by ROGU3_20 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:10 pm

Jeebus wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 am
They're definitely not leaning away towards growing or implying it has negative consequences, and it already bumped Emma's career. It's just a gut punch for most of our hopes in this character. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but hope is the killer.

Definitely, she's an anchor for Sam in ever way. even after she lost her memories of him and the chemistry they made.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Jeebus wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 am

I feel she'll shrink again if only because she's becoming a hero and likely shrinking will get her out in a jam as big.

Just don't expect it next episode, EP7 is the one where it is the same length as EP1 where it seems everything hits the fan there so we will see. We are still in a small/big ratio where Little Cricket is shown more over her big persona.

Raso719
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Raso719 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:25 pm

Idk it really feels like they're doubling down on the idea that shrinking is a metaphor for being controlled and her insecurities where as growth is a metaphor for her liberation.
As much as thr writers like to troll and subvert, I don't think this is something they'll back out of. There seems to be too much heart (or misguided prostration and preaching being confused as heart) in Emma's story to muddy the narrative with the idea that "shrinking is good actually". If anything maybe we'll see her tiny because she starves herself out of depression or insecurity but I doubt she'll do it again outside of extreme necessity.

So, what's her face the blood bender (im not remotely invested in this show, not gonna even pretend).... is she getting a similar treatment? Like didn't she cut herself and shit? Is her "character growth" that she'll just use everyone else's blood instead of her own? That might inform us of how Emma's power usage will develop.... hints about if it will run parallel or contrary.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:00 pm

Raso719 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:25 pm
Idk it really feels like they're doubling down on the idea that shrinking is a metaphor for being controlled and her insecurities where as growth is a metaphor for her liberation.
As much as thr writers like to troll and subvert, I don't think this is something they'll back out of. There seems to be too much heart (or misguided prostration and preaching being confused as heart) in Emma's story to muddy the narrative with the idea that "shrinking is good actually". If anything maybe we'll see her tiny because she starves herself out of depression or insecurity but I doubt she'll do it again outside of extreme necessity.

So, what's her face the blood bender (im not remotely invested in this show, not gonna even pretend).... is she getting a similar treatment? Like didn't she cut herself and shit? Is her "character growth" that she'll just use everyone else's blood instead of her own? That might inform us of how Emma's power usage will develop.... hints about if it will run parallel or contrary.
Possibly but who knows, we still got 3 episodes to go, there might be a chance things will go south and require shrinking. Again, she's basically the Boys Cassie Lang so I guess we'll see where things lie. It's just mostly
SpoilerShow
her being giant and celebrated and breaking the top 100 at school which I understand is the big reason why SW folks are nervous.
As for Marie, she's always been on their radar. She senses a lot of things (tells Emma when her next period is and figured out a tracking device was in her.)

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:58 pm

I have 2 takeaways now that we know she can be both sizes:

-How exactly will either of them still be practical? Both triggers require prepping and access to supplies (lots of food, tiny clothes, etc). Unless it's a situation where she can plan ahead, she's going to have to compromise on something somehow in a tight situation - shrinking will be exhausting and take time, growing will require her to carry seemingly a lot of stuff to gorge on. Plus, either way she'll be naked (not that I'm complaining mind you ;) ).

-What kind of outfits will she have/does she already have? I imagine the doll wardrobe in ep 1 was mainly a background detail, but you can *not* be telling me the 3 doll outfits we've seen (2 of them for a scene or less) are going to be it forever. And if she were (god help us) committed exclusively to growth, is she going to somehow get an outfit that grows with her every time or she just going to run around with like a folded-up tarp or something? I'm not under the impression the universe of The Boys has some kind of Unstable Molecule nonsense that can allow for a size-changing outfit so it kind've feels like the writers may have backed themselves into a corner a little bit.

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:43 am

rscholar wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:58 pm

-How exactly will either of them still be practical? Both triggers require prepping and access to supplies (lots of food, tiny clothes, etc). Unless it's a situation where she can plan ahead, she's going to have to compromise on something somehow in a tight situation - shrinking will be exhausting and take time, growing will require her to carry seemingly a lot of stuff to gorge on. Plus, either way she'll be naked (not that I'm complaining mind you ;) ).

-What kind of outfits will she have/does she already have? I imagine the doll wardrobe in ep 1 was mainly a background detail, but you can *not* be telling me the 3 doll outfits we've seen (2 of them for a scene or less) are going to be it forever. And if she were (god help us) committed exclusively to growth, is she going to somehow get an outfit that grows with her every time or she just going to run around with like a folded-up tarp or something? I'm not under the impression the universe of The Boys has some kind of Unstable Molecule nonsense that can allow for a size-changing outfit so it kind've feels like the writers may have backed themselves into a corner a little bit.
1. She'll be like Antman I assume and keep a doll dress in handy a la Ep 3. Plus, I assume purging she's gotten used to. That or rips some fabric when small.
2. Once again, 1 but they did introduce some suit tech like with Golden Boy so it is possible it could shrink and grow but Emma's a freshman so it is likely she won't immediately win/ get sent to a city immediately.

scidram
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by scidram » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:39 pm

rscholar wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:58 pm

Shrinking is far more practical. Doll clothes are cheaper and easier to carry around than a folded-up tarp. Same with the food she'd need to carry around in order to make herself grow.

Speaking of which, she binged those meatballs and grew (off screen) immediately. So either she has a super-fast digestion/metabolism process or her size is directly connected to the amount of contents in her stomach. The latter seems the more likely explanation based on the information they've shown/told us thus far: purging shrinks her, bingeing grows her, and otherwise, we've only seen her nibble at food.

Also, in the scene where she and Marie are sitting watching the video taken at the party, Emma's hoodie looks oversized on her while she slouches on the sofa beside Marie. Is this a hint that she didn't get exactly back to her "normal" size? And what exactly is her normal size? Regardless of the fact that she's a size-switch, I'm utterly fascinated by the mechanism for it. Give me more details! I want backstory! EMMA RULES!

eddiegiantman
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by eddiegiantman » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:59 pm

scidram wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:39 pm

Shrinking is far more practical. Doll clothes are cheaper and easier to carry around than a folded-up tarp. Same with the food she'd need to carry around in order to make herself grow.

Speaking of which, she binged those meatballs and grew (off screen) immediately. So either she has a super-fast digestion/metabolism process or her size is directly connected to the amount of contents in her stomach. The latter seems the more likely explanation based on the information they've shown/told us thus far: purging shrinks her, bingeing grows her, and otherwise, we've only seen her nibble at food.

Also, in the scene where she and Marie are sitting watching the video taken at the party, Emma's hoodie looks oversized on her while she slouches on the sofa beside Marie. Is this a hint that she didn't get exactly back to her "normal" size? And what exactly is her normal size? Regardless of the fact that she's a size-switch, I'm utterly fascinated by the mechanism for it. Give me more details! I want backstory! EMMA RULES!
It is also notable her actress is 5'1 so it helps with Emma is funny enough always looking small.