Damsel

Discuss all the SW in the media and share links to videos etc.
Kongman77
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Damsel

Post by Kongman77 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 pm

Not shrunken women but in the new film on Netflix, Millie Bobby Brown is handheld by the dragon near the end if there is anyone interested?
I can't get any screen grabs but I thought I'd let the community know as I said, if anyone is interested?

kira123
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Re: Damsel

Post by kira123 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:55 pm

It's all good. Show us what you got.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 pm

Here is the scene (spoilers, obviously):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bd3ogis2JY

PickUpArtist

Post by PickUpArtist » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:26 am

Thank you! Exactly what I came to this forum to ask about / post, and you saved me the trouble!

I'm all about handhelds, shrunken or not. They're the main thing. I don't get SWs in jars -- it's all about the interaction!

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am

foreverlurk wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 pm
Looks like a good watch. Spunky heroines and giant dragons! So what's not to like about that, eh! :)

That's just my kind of CGI, lol!

PickUpArtist wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:26 am
I'm all about handhelds, shrunken or not. They're the main thing. I don't get SWs in jars -- it's all about the interaction!
I couldn't agree more! Proper interaction between a doll sized woman and a giant's hand (including the fingers) seems to have become a forgotten art. And I'm talking collage using actual 'human' subjects of course.

We rarely get anything better that a tiny woman stood on a giant's palm, or if she's larger, seated upon it. Neither of which is very challenging to create. But usually it's just a woman placed in giant surroundings next to various oversized objects (or in a jar or a hamster cage), and that seems to qualify as a sw collage.
sally g, reincarnated.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 am

Little Sally wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am
PickUpArtist wrote:
I couldn't agree more! Proper interaction between a doll sized woman and a giant's hand (including the fingers) seems to have become a forgotten art. And I'm talking collage using actual 'human' subjects of course.

We rarely get anything better that a tiny woman stood on a giant's palm, or if she's larger, seated upon it. Neither of which is very challenging to create. But usually it's just a woman placed in giant surroundings next to various oversized objects (or in a jar or a hamster cage), and that seems to qualify as a sw collage.
It's more challenging which most people don't choose to take the time to create. You have to paste the hand, the tiny on top of the hand, then the hand again, removing everything that is behind the tiny, leaving only what would be in front. Then, as in the below image, another hand, then the leg of the tiny and another of the hand, removing everything but the thumb. Along with the appropriate background, then you have a collage, not just pasting a picture of a woman on a background, which is easy and quick.

Or this simpler one with just three layers:

Of course, part of the challenge, regardless of your skill at photoshopping, is selecting images that go together with the hues matching, not contrasting. I see so many of those that look terrible, such as in the quickies below:

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:38 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am
PickUpArtist wrote:

DocRick wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 am
It's more challenging which most people don't choose to take the time to create. You have to paste the hand, the tiny on top of the hand, then the hand again, removing everything that is behind the tiny, leaving only what would be in front. Then, as in the below image, another hand, then the leg of the tiny and another of the hand, removing everything but the thumb. Along with the appropriate background, then you have a collage, not just pasting a picture of a woman on a background, which is easy and quick.

(images)
Indeed, it's basically just understanding what layers are and how to use them, and although some people have the basic knowhow they haven't the patience (or maybe lack the skill or the right program) to improve on their work. Such as the basic cleaning up of the subject and adjacent layers (or making their task harder by choosing lo-res subjects to begin with).

I'm loathe to give advice or critiques unless I'm asked in private, and if it's a program I'm not familiar with, then that might be awkward. But anyone can improve if they want to, given a little time and some practice.
sally g, reincarnated.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:35 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:38 pm

Indeed, it's basically just understanding what layers are and how to use them, and although some people have the basic knowhow they haven't the patience (or maybe lack the skill or the right program) to improve on their work. Such as the basic cleaning up of the subject and adjacent layers (or making their task harder by choosing lo-res subjects to begin with).

I'm loathe to give advice or critiques unless I'm asked in private, and if it's a program I'm not familiar with, then that might be awkward. But anyone can improve if they want to, given a little time and some practice.
I guess it's harder to do on a phone than a desktop PC. But as you say, it's just practice, patience and trying new things. If you knew how many collages I worked on for hours, just to trash them because I didn't like the way they turned out........ :cry:

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:43 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:38 pm

DocRick wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:35 pm
I guess it's harder to do on a phone than a desktop PC. But as you say, it's just practice, patience and trying new things. If you knew how many collages I worked on for hours, just to trash them because I didn't like the way they turned out........ :cry:
I'm still doing that too Doc. It's called being your worst critic! lol!

But yes, I couldn't work on a phone or a tablet and be satisfied. I like to work at as hi-res as possible, so my trusty desktop and wide screen monitor have been a must.
sally g, reincarnated.

pokonota
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by pokonota » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:56 am

PickUpArtist wrote:
Thank you! Exactly what I came to this forum to ask about / post, and you saved me the trouble!

Well, my animations and comics are all about interaction. By the way. As other members may attest
I make SW 2D hand-drawn animations, manga and comics (F/f) :-D, please check them out on my Gumroad: https://swanims.gumroad.com

pokonota
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by pokonota » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 pm

foreverlurk wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 pm
My favorite bit is when she's under the dragon(ess)'s paw and the giant finger tilts the girl's head to the side. Idk why but I found that super hot: https://youtu.be/1bd3ogis2JY?t=37
I make SW 2D hand-drawn animations, manga and comics (F/f) :-D, please check them out on my Gumroad: https://swanims.gumroad.com

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 pm

pokonota wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 pm
My favorite bit is when she's under the dragon(ess)'s paw and the giant finger tilts the girl's head to the side. Idk why but I found that super hot
Me too somehow, it's weird because I'm not into monsters or anything but that movement was well done.