Dolls for stories?

A place to talk about stuff that is not specifically fitting into one of the other categories
Spider9137
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Dolls for stories?

Post by Spider9137 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:24 am

I purchased a Barbie doll at Dollar General a few weeks ago ... $5.00, short dark hair. I figured I'd use this as a basis for some photomanips ... but more importantly use it for size comparison. I was writing a story about a SW and a Monopoly board (not knowing something similar was taking place on the board here). I was describing the dice as Indiana Jones-size "boulders" for the Barbie-height tiny woman. When comparing the Barbie doll to an actual Monopoly board, I realized the dice would seem more like bowling balls to her. Needless to say, I did quite a bit of rewriting ... She didn't have to sprint to reach the other end of the Monopoly game ... a few normal steps (for her) would take her from "Go" to "Just Visiting Jail" ... and so on ...

Has anyone here used props like this to better imagine the size ratio for their SW protagonist or antagonist? First time I've done this, and I kinda like it ... makes me feel like I'm doing field research, for a more "authentic" SW story.

Tags:

scidram
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Re: Dolls for stories?

Post by scidram » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:54 am

Yes, I've used a variety of dolls for reference when writing SW stories. And I measure A LOT of things around the house, so I can have an idea at what height a doorknob is out of reach and so on. All authors have to do a certain amount of research if something outside their area of expertise comes up in their stories. Otherwise, it doesn't read as authentic.

erunvor
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by erunvor » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:04 pm

I think it's a good idea. I always got annoyed when sizes seemed to vary in stories. For example, when somebody would describe a shrunken woman as being barbie sized, but would be able to fit her in their pocket or completely in their hand when Barbie is too big for that.

Chris Pixy
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Chris Pixy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Yes I have! My boyfriend and I have posted some...hardcore pics on here of dolls that we use to create the illusion. These dolls are anatomically correct and extremely fun to play with. I love watching him! It has become part of our regular SW sex life!
Here is a link to the dolls website:
http://www.phicen.com/
These are the preferred props and are 1/6th scale as is Barbie.
"That's me in the middle!" :oops:

TheBigG
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by TheBigG » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:17 pm

erunvor wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:04 pm
I think it's a good idea. I always got annoyed when sizes seemed to vary in stories. For example, when somebody would describe a shrunken woman as being barbie sized, but would be able to fit her in their pocket or completely in their hand when Barbie is too big for that.
You under estimate the size of my pockets