Separate posts for each chapter

A place to talk about stuff that is not specifically fitting into one of the other categories
CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Separate posts for each chapter

Post by CKent45 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Elana, I doubt you will want to do anything about this because you're basically of the mindset to let people do as they will, but I've noticed there is a habit of posting stories in the stories section developing where the authors post separate topics for each chapter in their story.

This practice is EXTREMELY FUCKING ANNOYING INCONSIDERATE AND INCONVENIENT. Honestly, navigating your goddamned stories when you pull this shit is beyond irritating and I've always stopped reading shortly into a story when an author was so inconsiderate as to break their stuff up like this. I am so sick of this rude behavior that going forward, I'm not even going to look at another story where the author pulls this crap. You know what? I don't want to have to come in here and look at a wall of fucking spam posts from one or two people ON THE SAME GODDAMN TOPIC.

If admin doesn't want to take any actions on this from a policy stand point, are there any options such as with ignore or block content features on boards like this? I've really gotten sick of having my time and energy wasted on this inconsiderate practice and it seems to be spreading.
Check out my SW story Please..: https://ckent45.deviantart.com/

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Re: Separate posts for each chapter

Post by Little Sally » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 pm

You have my sympathy for what it's worth, and the considerate solution is to post chapter updates within the same story thread. Can't really understand why some don't do that as a matter of course, as it's easier to follow a story that way.

Similar things happen on the art sub forum, where many regularly submit individual offerings, instead of creating a thread for their works. This sort of practice has the effect of "sinking" the work of others more quickly than is necessary. Just my thoughts, of course. :)

Hope you get your problem solved or at least alleviated. I know what a mission you've been on with your various stories.
sally g, reincarnated.

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:42 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 pm
You have my sympathy for what it's worth, and the considerate solution is to post chapter updates within the same story thread. Can't really understand why some don't do that as a matter of course, as it's easier to follow a story that way.

Similar things happen on the art sub forum, where many regularly submit individual offerings, instead of creating a thread for their works. This sort of practice has the effect of "sinking" the work of others more quickly than is necessary. Just my thoughts, of course. :)

Hope you get your problem solved or at least alleviated. I know what a mission you've been on with your various stories.
In the case of the art forum, I think it depends a little more. There are times where I completely agree with you 100%. Other times, it makes sense to have a separate topic for a new piece of art and simply going to a single thread to find all of the art from a particular artist would be more cumbersome. Regardless, a little consideration would go a long way.

I’ve been on other forums where I’ve seen this kind of thing, and even one where two users and one in particular would just post one thing after another burying anything anyone else had to say, and usually it was copy and paste from elsewhere on the web. Any time someone else would participate, three more topics would show up, pushing that user further down the line and largely burying anything anyone else had to say.

In that place, I was actually a moderator, and the forum owner had a similar mindset to Elana. Don’t get me wrong, I REALLY appreciate how Elana oversee this board, but in the case I just mentioned, the user in question got progressively more and more aggressive with his posts and when I finally confronted him and tried my best to ask him politely to be more considerate of others there, he escalated dramatically and went on a multi topic tirade of personal attacks against me. The board owner wouldn’t let me shut him down, because he hadn’t posted anything illegal, so I finally gave him a full, uncensored account of my thoughts on him and then logged off and never went back again. To this day, I have a friend who still talks to this guy and when my name is brought up, he still goes ballistic over me, so apparently years later I continue to live in his head rent free.

I’m okay with that.

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Thanks for that insight into your previous experiences as a moderator, I'm curious what forum that was but you don't needn't say if it's a pronlem. I modded myself on SW Realm and enjoyed the role, and luckily didn't have the sort of hassle that you did. But I was a member of one forum for a short time that did have a resident troll (and that's being polite), plus it was an oddball kind of place anyway. That's why I eventually asked to leave the site (and yes I did have to ask that my membership be terminated).

I take your points about the art sub forum, which hasn't had the same kind of issues that you're experiencing. But still, it can get that way on occasions, though hopefully it will remain just a mild case of irritation. However a thread for an artist's work does work well for me, as it's simple enough to click on the last entry for the new offering. I've created one for my own stuff on a couple of occasions, and ended up with over 4000+ views each time over a short period.

As for this board in general, it seems to work for the majority of users and serves its purpose adequately on the whole. There are places I rarely visit like the VSW sections, and some art I don't check out when certain tags are in place. But everyone seems polite, and mainly keep themselves to themselves and follow their own personal interests (or kinks as we like say in these places).

So good luck with the topic you've created here. I'll be following it with interest.

Btw, we have spoken at length in the past via emails (but that must be something like three years ago or more). So I hope things are good with you, and that life is treating you kindly on the whole. :)
Last edited by Little Sally on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sally g, reincarnated.

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:36 pm
Btw, we have spoken at length in the past via emails (but that must be something like three years ago or more). So I hope things are good with you, and that life is treating you kindly on the whole. :)
Oh yes, Sally, I remember our private messages. I remember them very fondly. You are absolutely wonderful to chat with and I’ve missed chatting with you quite a bit. Since we last chatted, life for me hit a long rough patch. Hopefully I’m coming out of it now and things will be a bit more stable.

As for where that board was, I’ll just say it had nothing to do with SW even in the slightest and I’d rather not go much more into it.

I agree that one of the things I like here is the lack of drama or bickering and people are much better here to each other than in other places. I feel kind of bad starting a thread off the way I did here and don’t mean it as a personal attack, so hopefully my comments won’t be taken personally, but for crying out loud; there is nothing I want to see less on a board than one thread after another after another after another after another after another ON THE EXACT SAME FUCKING TOPIC which makes finding anything else more difficult. Sorry, but if that’s how you want to do things, then I’m just not going to read your work anymore and I personally encourage everyone else to do the same.
Last edited by CKent45 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elana
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Elana » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:25 pm

Interesting.
I can see a point for seperating chapters, as it can be inconvenient if the story flow gets interrupted by comments and depending on popularity it could be hard to find the next chapter if all is clustered together.

But of course if there are none or few comments and the chapters are posted close together there isn't that much point to it.

So there are arguments for both sides of the debate.

I have to give this some thought and see if I can get to an official stance on the topic
Protect freedom of Expression!
Stand against all censors and self proclaimed morale apostles

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:31 pm

CKent45 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:12 pm
Oh yes, Sally, I remember our private messages. I remember them very fondly. You are absolutely wonderful to chat with and I’ve missed chatting with you quite a bit. Since we last chatted, life for me hit a long rough patch. Hopefully I’m coming out of it now and things will be a bit more stable.

As for where that board was, I’ll just say it had nothing to do with SW even in the slightest and I’d rather not go much more into it.

I agree that one of the things I like here is the lack of drama or bickering and people are much better to each other in other places. I feel kind of bad starting a thread off the way I did here and don’t mean it as a personal attack, so hopefully my comments won’t be taken personally, but for crying out loud; there is nothing I want to see less on a board than one thread after another after another after another after another after another ON THE EXACT SAME FUCKING TOPIC which makes finding anything else more difficult. Sorry, but if that’s how you want to do things, then I’m just not going to read your work anymore and I personally encourage everyone else to do the same.
Ha, I'm pleased you remember chatting back then.. which we did at some length didn't we! Haha! But more to the point, I'm pleased that life seems to be turning a better corner for you, and I sincerely hope that will continue.

Continuing with the brighter note, I think your making an expletively good point about the repetitive posting of seperate chapters on the SW Story section! That had me smiling that did. There's nothing does you more good, than a good old vent! (so keep venting) :D

Sally
sally g, reincarnated.

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by HHunter1 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:38 pm

OK, trying to move past the the tone of the first post. I have to ask, is this about how I add chapters to my on going stories? Because if it is, they are all under the same post/tread. I use a new topic within the same post/thread to let readers know its a new chapter was added and not me just commenting. I thought it would be connivant and considerate to readers that enjoy my stories to know that information.

I don't start new posts/threads for old topics. I have delayed posting in the past to give new topics more time to be discovered. I try to use a regular posting schedule so not to interfere with others postings of their works. My story threads are contained together. So I don't understand why your so upset. And I'm sorry if I was the one to make you so upset.

Honestly, if people want me to just post without labelling it as a new chapter, just let me know. If there is a general condenses I can and will do that.

I hope this helps,
HH1

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Little Sally wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:31 pm
Ha, I'm pleased you remember chatting back then.. which we did at some length didn't we! Haha! But more to the point, I'm pleased that life seems to be turning a better corner for you, and I sincerely hope that will continue.

Continuing with the brighter note, I think your making an expletively good point about the repetitive posting of seperate chapters on the SW Story section! That had me smiling that did. There's nothing does you more good, than a good old vent! (so keep venting) :D

Sally
Yeah, we did, didn’t we? ;-). It was enough that I felt guilty about putting your sore eyes to so much work trying to read all my ramblings.

As for the rant, I’ve been aspiring to meet the lofty standards set by one General George Patton:

“When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence.”
Last edited by CKent45 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:44 pm

HentaiHunter1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:38 pm
OK, trying to move past the the tone of the first post. I have to ask, is this about how I add chapters to my on going stories? Because if it is, they are all under the same post/tread. I use a new topic within the same post/thread to let readers know its a new chapter was added and not me just commenting. I thought it would be connivant and considerate to readers that enjoy my stories to know that information.
Not directed at you even in the slightest. In fact, I am trying to learn from you and emulate what you’re doing. I’m sure it’s more work for you, but you have such a great approach. Thanks for teaching me a couple things that I should have thought up myself long ago.

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by HHunter1 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:49 pm

Oh good, I worry enough no one likes my posts. Honestly I wasn't ready for the component. I'm a little taken a back. Glad I can help, if you have any questions about my stories or just want to say hi, go ahead.

I think I have to lay down for a second.
HH1
:D

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:08 pm

CKent45 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Not directed at you even in the slightest. In fact, I am trying to learn from you and emulate what you’re doing. I’m sure it’s more work for you, but you have such a great approach. Thanks for teaching me a couple things that I should have thought up myself long ago.
HentaiHunter1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:49 pm
Oh good, I worry enough no one likes my posts. Honestly I wasn't ready for the component. I'm a little taken a back. Glad I can help, if you have any questions about my stories or just want to say hi, go ahead.

I think I have to lay down for a second.
HH1
:D
I think it's really nice that a misunderstanding got resolved like that, which is what's always needed in life (and fantasy dabblings)

I'd suggest a group hug but you'd probably crush me at the size I am on here! :D

Seriously though, well done to both of you for responding in an adult manner, and more power to your respective creative elbows!
sally g, reincarnated.

DiminutionMan
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by DiminutionMan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 am

Little Sally wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 pm
This sort of practice has the effect of "sinking" the work of others more quickly than is necessary.
Personally, this is my main issue with the practice. Sure, it's somewhat inconsiderate to the readers, but in my opinion it's much more inconsiderate to the other creators, whose works are now more difficult to see, and are pushed off the first page more quickly.
Elana wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:25 pm
Interesting.
I can see a point for seperating chapters, as it can be inconvenient if the story flow gets interrupted by comments and depending on popularity it could be hard to find the next chapter if all is clustered together.
It's possible to edit the previous chapter to add a link directly to the post that has the next chapter, for any readers who want to skip the other comments. I've done this with a couple of my stories, as I figured it would be a nice convenience.

This is a pretty small community, so hopefully we can simply come to a consensus on some basic etiquette, and that will be the end of it. My guess is that the people who create new posts for each chapter didn't even realize that it was annoying anybody.

Little Sally
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Little Sally » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:05 pm

DiminutionMan wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 am

This is a pretty small community, so hopefully we can simply come to a consensus on some basic etiquette, and that will be the end of it. My guess is that the people who create new posts for each chapter didn't even realize that it was annoying anybody.
That is possibly true, so let's hope good manners prevail and they take heed of the current poll readings on the issue.

It's looking good for commonsense thus far.
sally g, reincarnated.

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by HHunter1 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:11 am

I think I now understand what you were talking about. Yeah, contained connected posts just make more sense.

HH1