Thoughts on Micro Species?

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
Axtwyt
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Thoughts on Micro Species?

Post by Axtwyt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 pm

I was curious as to what everyone thought of the various micro-person species. Whether they be called Borrowers, Smalls, Lilliputians, Tinies, or some other name I’ve never heard of!

shrinky
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Thoughts on Micro Species?

Post by shrinky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Not a fan - no process.

Bobascher
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Bobascher » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:01 am

There was a story I remember from way back about an explorer stumbling across a tribe of tiny women. He was allowed to take two of them per year. I wish I still had that story, as it was an interesting concept, but alas I don’t. I might have to write an inspired by story.

That being said, there is little day light between a micro society story and a giant story. It’s a matter of perspective, mostly. So shrinky correctly shows it will impact process fans. Also it may impact people who fear underage storytelling (correctly) because of the fact small societies will have small kids. But if you can navigate those waters, feel Empowered to shove Brainiacs tiny city into a dildo!

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:20 am

shrinky wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 pm
Not a fan - no process.
Agree. Much of the fun is learning to cope with your loss of size and presence. That doesn't happen if you were born into a small family.

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:25 am

Agreed with all above - I appreciate tinies for what they are and when they show up, but always prefer process and transformation over natural smallness. That said, it's nice to imagine those types of creatures are like a patient-zero kind of situation where they're revealed to have once been human and have gradually adapted to their new lives as something completely different. This pic from the 2011 Borrowers, I think, takes on new meaning if you think these two ladies used to be big.

Aussie_Lurker
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Aussie_Lurker » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 am

I am OK with such stories, but definitely prefer ones with process......especially where a forner authority figure is now not much bigger than a Barbie Doll. However, I do recall an excellent episode of Pandamonium, where the team encounter a village of tiny people, living in a cave, only to learn that the crystals in the cave shrink you after a certain time of exposure......kind of a "best of both worlds" scenario ;).

Bobascher
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Bobascher » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:05 am

rscholar wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:25 am
Agreed with all above - I appreciate tinies for what they are and when they show up, but always prefer process and transformation over natural smallness. That said, it's nice to imagine those types of creatures are like a patient-zero kind of situation where they're revealed to have once been human and have gradually adapted to their new lives as something completely different. This pic from the 2011 Borrowers, I think, takes on new meaning if you think these two ladies used to be big.

Aisling Loftis is a beautiful choice for Arrietty (of age most importantly). I did also enjoy the scene where the lab tech was trying to undress the parents in the beaker.

rscholar
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by rscholar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Aussie_Lurker wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 am
However, I do recall an excellent episode of Pandamonium, where the team encounter a village of tiny people, living in a cave, only to learn that the crystals in the cave shrink you after a certain time of exposure......kind of a "best of both worlds" scenario ;).
*Looks up Pandamonium*

Learned 2 things:

1) Can't find an actual clip, but it's 99.9% likely episode 4 "Itty-Bitty City."

2) ….it stars actual pandas.

Back on topic: I think the adaptation process is key because it's the psychological conflict of becoming small that drives so much of the fetish's appeal and essentially starting over as a something not quite human anymore while being viewed from the outside as strange really is that "best of both worlds" dynamic.

I wonder though how long that adjustment should take: if the shrinking happened say in a matter of days or weeks, then the tiny wouldn't be tiny long enough to let the reality sink in and would still try to resist the change (ie find help or a cure, etc).

If, however, it's a generational thing and the civilization is made up of mostly descendants of the shrinkee(s), then they really are "natural" and can't conceptualize being big or having used to be so.

I have an idea I won't elaborate on too much (in part since I don't know if I could ever get around to it), but something like a mix of generations of tinies and a "sweet spot" between the two time-spans above could be interesting.
Last edited by rscholar on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigG
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by TheBigG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:22 pm

I’m happy for both

azureeyes
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by azureeyes » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:52 pm

I like the idea of Borrowers and Littles. I think there is a lot of fun to be had when you have a race of tiny people who have adapted to the larger world and it's the giants that have to learn how to adapt upon discovery.

Process is always fun, but the incidental tiny colony is always enjoyable, at least to me.

gundam
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by gundam » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Bobascher wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:01 am
There was a story I remember from way back about an explorer stumbling across a tribe of tiny women. He was allowed to take two of them per year. I wish I still had that story, as it was an interesting concept, but alas I don’t. I might have to write an inspired by story.

That being said, there is little day light between a micro society story and a giant story. It’s a matter of perspective, mostly. So shrinky correctly shows it will impact process fans. Also it may impact people who fear underage storytelling (correctly) because of the fact small societies will have small kids. But if you can navigate those waters, feel Empowered to shove Brainiacs tiny city into a dildo!
It's still there at VSW.

Bobascher
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Bobascher » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:59 am

What was the name?

FifteencentiKim
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by FifteencentiKim » Wed May 27, 2020 11:40 pm

azureeyes wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:52 pm
I like the idea of Borrowers and Littles. I think there is a lot of fun to be had when you have a race of tiny people who have adapted to the larger world and it's the giants that have to learn how to adapt upon discovery.

Process is always fun, but the incidental tiny colony is always enjoyable, at least to me.
Same!

gundam
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by gundam » Fri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm

I wrote an entire series about it on giantessworld called "The Tiny People Hunter"

FifteencentiKim
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by FifteencentiKim » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 am

gundam wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm
I wrote an entire series about it on giantessworld called "The Tiny People Hunter"
Sounds interesting!