Alice in Wonderland (2010) leaked script

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Alice in Wonderland (2010) leaked script

Post by foreverlurk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:49 pm

For those of you won't don't know, a few months before the release of Tim Burton's Alice (10 years ago, already!), the full draft version of the script was leaked online. A lot of people thought it was a fake, but once the movie was released, the whole thing was confirmed as legit since most of the script was used, almost verbatim, in the final version of the movie. Sadly, some SW scenes didn't make the final cut, some were changed, and I can only imagine what those would have looked like on the big screen.

I've included a zip file with the PDF of the script for anyone interested. There's a few scenes I really would have like to see.

#1- Alice doesn't want to shrink
The first one is during the tea party scene, Alice doesn't want to shrink again, and they have to force her to drink. I think it's great because it makes Alice less "passive" in her reaction to being shrunk, ie. here she doesn't like it, in the final movie she barely seems to care at all.

Code: Select all

Hatter takes a small bottle from his pocket.

MAD HATTER
Drink this.

ALICE
No ! 

They throw her down onto the table and force the liquid down
her throat. She gags and coughs then shrinks to three inches
high. They stuff her forceably into a teapot and cram her now
extremely over-large clothes in behind her. They cram and
cram.

ALICE
(muffled)
Stop!

They stop. Alice's head emerges from the pot.

ALICE
You're suffocating me with my dress.
#2- More handheld time and Alice wants her normal size back
The next scene is when she emerges from the teapot, the pacing is a bit slower with more dialogue and thus she stays a bit longer in the palm of the Hatter's hand. Also, Alice asks right away for some cake to be normal sized, again highlighting the fact that she doesn't want to stay three inches tall.

He helps Alice out of the teapot. She can see he's bleeding.
The Dormouse spits water, half-drowned. 
The March Hare coughs and rubs his neck. 
Alice feels oddly responsible.

ALICE
I wish I could help you. But
I'm not who you think I am.

The Hatter lifts Tiny Alice in his palm.

MAD HATTER
You'll speak to Absolem. He'll
know who you are.

ALICE
But can he tell me how to get home?

MARCH HARE
He's wise. He's absolute. He's
Absolem.

Hatter puts her down on the table.

ALICE
Do you have any of that cake
that made me grow before?

THE DORMOUSE
Do you mean... upelkuchen?
Do we have any, Thackery?

The March Hare looks under the table, shakes his head.

THE DORMOUSE
Sorry, no upelkuchen.
#3- Alice the mouse
This scene was fully cut from the movie, it involes a scared, tiny Alice being chased by cats, I understand plot-wise why it was cut, but from a SW fan this is dissapointing.

He takes off the Hat and puts it on a small café table.
He goes to speak to the cat. Alice hears LOUD PURRING and sees
a very thin, very hungry feral CAT looking up at her from
below.

ALICE
Hello, kitty.

FERAL CAT #1
Hello, mouse.

ALICE
I'm, actually, not a mouse.

The cat is joined by another equally hungry cat. Alice glances
over at the Hatter who's conversing quietly in Outlandish with
his friend.

FERAL CAT #1
I saw it first.

The second cat leaps onto the table.

ALICE
As you can see, I'm not a mouse at all.

FERAL CAT #2 slinks toward her. Alice takes a step back as
FERAL CAT #1 leaps onto the table.

FERAL CAT #1
It's mine.

Alice moves back to the edge of the table as a THIRD cat lands
on the table. Alice looks at the Hatter who has his back to
her.

WEAN! She's hit by a FURRY PAW which knocks her sideways where
she's hit by another FURRY PAW, knocking her the other way. 
The CATS toy with her, amusing themselves as they bat her
between them. Alice stumbles to the edge of the table and
falls, landing on the chair. She tries to get the Hatter's
attention.

ALICE
Hatter !

A cat lands on the chair. Alice jumps to the floor. She lands
hard with the cat right behind, followed by the other two. She
turns to face them as they stalk her.

FERAL CAT #3
Run, mouse.

FERAL CAT #2
We like it when they run.

Alice runs. She dives behind table and chair legs. The cats
enjoy the chase, catching her and batting her between them.
She finally breaks free and runs toward the Hatter.

ALICE
Hatter !

But a paw lands on her dragging dress tail, stopping her. She
struggles to pull free as another cat stalks her from the
front. And another from the side. She yells.

ALICE
TARRANT HIGHTOPP !

She can't get away. The cats move in for the kill, all
playfulness gone.

MAD HATTER
SSSSSSTT!
The Hatter's foot kicks a cat away. He stomps at the others.
They hiss and back off. He picks Tiny Alice up. She's fuming.

ALICE
There are starving cats here! I'm
the size of a mouse! What did you
think would happen?
#4- Shrinking to escape the Queen
This last scene is where the draft and final script diverge the most. From the "Off with her head!" scenes in the Queen's castle, she sentences (the now giant) Alice to "Uglification". They discuss cutting off her nose, etc. Alice tricks them into shrinking her back down (to 2 feet tall). I won't post everything but look it up in the script, she spends way more time shrunk. The court then ridicule her about her new size.

ALICE (cont.)
You can do anything to me, just
not the shrinking. I cannot bear
to be shrunk.

The woman smiles evilly. She whispers to BIG BELLY who reaches
for a vial of liquid.

ALICE (cont.)
Is that pishsalver? No please
anything but that!

Alice struggles against her bonds dramatically. They grab her
head and force her mouth open.

BIG BELLY MAN
DRINK!

They pour the whole vial down her throat. Alice coughs and
gags. And in a moment, she SHRINKS...down to two feet again.

ALICE
(tragically)
Why? Why did you do it?

BIG NOSE WOMAN
Take her to Derision.

The Guards take SMALL ALICE  to another room. 

CUT TO:
INT. THE COURT OF DERISION - LATER

Small Alice stands in the center of a court room. The Queen
and all the Courtiers sit in tiers above her. They all point and laugh as they ridicule her.

LADY LONG EARS
Look at her...the little ugliness.

BIG BELLY MAN
She's a gnome.

LADY THREE CHINS
A runt.

MAN WITH HUGE FEET
A nothing!

BIG-LIPPED WOMAN
Meager and meaningless!

LONG NECK MAN
Less than dirt!

LADY LARGE ASS
A little knotgrass of
insignificance.
While I did like the movie, I was kinda bummed that all those scenes didn't make it. Maybe next time, if they ever do another version.
Attachments
alice2010.zip
(667.82 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

chesya
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Re: Alice in Wonderland (2010) leaked script

Post by chesya » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Thank you. I'm looking at this to see if there is anything I can draw.

All my life I have felt it obvious that people in the creative sector share my sexual feelings or are aware of the sexual potential size-related scena, and precisely because of this edit them out. On another thread I relate a memory of Kong fingering down Jessica Lange's wet clothes in the waterfall scene. My brother and I were young teens and I remembering saying, 'go on, mate get 'em off 'er', just prior to Kong drying her - we both thought his breathe would gas her. I've seen the film a dozen times, but this scene has gone.

There is something very sexual about the concept underlying Alice, which is why so many interpretations depict her as between late teens and 25. Even in the Disney and Hanna Babera versions, she is not the little girl of the Tenniel illustrations. When a tiny Alice clambers down the steps of the White Rabbit's house we see the behind of a grown woman as her skirt rises and falls.

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:57 am

Thanks for sharing.I know this is not a popular opinion (though unpopular opinions are my specialty) but I do like this take of Alice in Wonderland. True the film has its issue and there are valid criticisms to be had (though I think some can be a bit excessive) but I do think the film is enjoyable and has some merit to it. Anyways I remember hearing about the leaked script but I never read it. Seeing these excerpts I feel a little conflicted. On one hand these scenes sound great (especially as an SW fan) but they do feel a little excessive and I can understand why they were taken out of the final cut.
"There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter."
https://www.deviantart.com/somehatter54

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:57 pm

chesya wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:11 pm
All my life I have felt it obvious that people in the creative sector share my sexual feelings or are aware of the sexual potential size-related scena, and precisely because of this edit them out.
Probably part of it is confirmation bias, I think our brain is just wired that way, we see what we want to see, etc. But I'm almost sure that at least a few people involved in those scenarios (wheter it's for TV, movies, animations, books, etc) are indeed aware of the size-changing fetish. There's just too much evidence for that to be impossible.
Some Wanderer wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:57 am
On one hand these scenes sound great (especially as an SW fan) but they do feel a little excessive and I can understand why they were taken out of the final cut.
I agree that they don't bring much to the movie per se, but the cat chase would have been sooo nice. Too scary for kids, maybe? I also think that just a bit more reaction from Alice/Mia Wasikowska would have been nice overall, but I don't blame her, I think the whole time they were going for that "It's just a dream, I don't care" vibe.

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 am

foreverlurk wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:57 pm

I agree that they don't bring much to the movie per se, but the cat chase would have been sooo nice. Too scary for kids, maybe? I also think that just a bit more reaction from Alice/Mia Wasikowska would have been nice overall, but I don't blame her, I think the whole time they were going for that "It's just a dream, I don't care" vibe.
That's what I was thinking when you mentioned it. I've never thought of Alice's complacency that way and I think that's a fair criticism. However that may think well she believe it's a dream so maybe that's why she is not too bother about being three inches tall. That and she did change size three times beforehand so maybe that played a part in it too.
"There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter."

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Some Wanderer wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 am
That and she did change size three times beforehand so maybe that played a part in it too.
Correct, and there's a short flashback scene of the first time she was in Wonderland as a child, shrunk and walking in the garden, so you could say she's used to changing size (even though she thinks it's just a dream at first). I mean, I understand it from a movie making point of view, but really that script just made me realise all the missed opportunities.

I'm still hoping to see another version of AIW in the future, since Hollywood is always rebooting itself every 20 years or so it seems.

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:36 pm

foreverlurk wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:12 pm
Some Wanderer wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 am
That and she did change size three times beforehand so maybe that played a part in it too.
Correct, and there's a short flashback scene of the first time she was in Wonderland as a child, shrunk and walking in the garden, so you could say she's used to changing size (even though she thinks it's just a dream at first). I mean, I understand it from a movie making point of view, but really that script just made me realise all the missed opportunities.

I'm still hoping to see another version of AIW in the future, since Hollywood is always rebooting itself every 20 years or so it seems.
Oh I imagine that it will be. It's one of those pieces of literature that tends to be adapted time and again.

Comrade
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Post by Comrade » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:23 am

That was a really lovely find all in, thanks for the post, I loved the forced-shrinking!

But, yeah, I think it's because the rights are up for grabs, what with it being so many years since the author's death. Like with the Robin Hood legend, or Jane Austen stories. S you don't have to pay to use the Harry Potter brand, or whatever.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm

I didn't want to start yet another Alice thread, so instead I'll just post this here.

This channel has a lot of very rare versions of AiW, some I hadn't seen before :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwazeQ ... uqg/videos

Come on Disney, we need yet another reboot (and Through the Looking Glass was so disappointing...)

Some Wanderer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Some Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 pm

foreverlurk wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm
I didn't want to start yet another Alice thread, so instead I'll just post this here.

This channel has a lot of very rare versions of AiW, some I hadn't seen before :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwazeQ ... uqg/videos

Come on Disney, we need yet another reboot (and Through the Looking Glass was so disappointing...)
Eh, I thought it was ok.

I know that channel. I've been checking it out since I found it a few months ago. There are some interesting finds on there.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:10 pm

This fan-made remake of the "drink me" scene is very well done (well, for a budget version anyway), I've seen it before but here it is:

https://vimeo.com/520085825

The whole movie was posted years ago but I can't find it anymore.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:08 am

I recently managed to get my hands on Tim Burton's AiW's novelization. It's not very well written but it borrows a bit from the leaked script in a few scenes, and there are a couple of differences here and there. Here's a few changes from the novel version, starting with the first shrinking scene:
Alice looked around the room again. On the other hand, she didn’t have a lot of choices. She shrugged. “It’s only a dream,” she said aloud to herself. A familiar dream... although she couldn’t remember falling asleep. Maybe in the meadow? Or in the woods on the way to the gazebo? It was all so muddled now. But this had to be a dream. There was nothing real about it. And if it was a dream, then what could happen to her?

Alice poured some of the drink into her mouth, shuddered, and coughed, gagging at the taste. Apparently things could still taste horrible, even in dreams.

It took her another few moments to realize that the table wasn’t growing. She held out her pale hands and stared at them in shock as she got smaller and smaller and smaller. Finally she was two feet tall, trapped under her too-big clothes.

Well, that raises some new problems... but at least it also solves one, she thought. Wrapping her skirts around her arms to lift them out of the way, Alice flounced over to the small door and tried to open it.
Here the emphasis on the whole "it's-just-a-dream" trope is greater than what's alluded in the movie. The second shrinking scene is interesting:
“The Hatter grabbed a small bottle off the table and shoved it into Alice’s hands. It looked ominously familiar. “Drink this quickly,” he commanded.

“Oh, no,” Alice said, remembering the room with the locked doors and the little glass bottle she’d found there. She tried to resist, but the March Hare and the Mad Hatter forced the liquid down her throat. Before she could even shriek in protest, she was six inches tall, surrounded by a puddle of her now-oversize clothes.

And the indignity wasn’t over. The Mad Hatter picked her up and dropped her in the nearest teapot, which luckily was empty of tea. Alice stumbled to her knees, her hands scrabbled at the smooth walls curving up on either side of her. The Hatter peeked in the top, and she saw his enormous hand descending with the teapot lid.

“Mind your head,” he said, and then the sky disappeared.

Alice sat down huffily on the cold porcelain floor and crossed her arms. It was dim except for a stream of light from the spout. She could hear their voices outside quite clearly. Alice buried her head in her hands. These were the people protecting her? What was she supposed to do if the Knave killed them or took them all prisoner? She’d be stuck in a teapot, six inches tall, and no one would ever think to look for her there.
The first thing to notice is that the novelization use the movie's size (6 inches) instead of the leaked script's size (3 inches). I would have prefered 3 inches but I don't really mind the change. Another thing here is that she doesn't drink the shrinking potion willfully, they have to force her to drink it (like in the script). Finally, a small detail but Hatter doesn't stash her clothes along with Alice in the teapot, instead simply dropping her there as-is :
The Mad Hatter lifted the lid of Alice’s teapot. “Pardon,” he said. “One moment.”

He produced a pair of milliner’s scissors from his pocket and quickly whipped up a miniature ensemble for Alice out of the tea cozy, a doily, and a swatch of her old dress. By now it was far too enormous for her to even drag around after her. The Hatter handed the new outfit down to Alice and closed the lid again to give her some privacy.
Finally, when she's ridind on the hat, instead of being left atop a tree stump, the Hatter puts her on a log and then walks away. The tiny scared Alice has to run to catch up, worried about being eaten by birds or other animals :
Alice thought it was high time she put this mad idea to rest. “I’m not slaying anything,” she said firmly. “I don’t slay. So put it out of your mind.”

The Hatter stopped in his tracks. “Mmm... mind,” he said, plucking her off his shoulder. He dropped her onto a log and kept walking. Astonished, Alice followed him. With her new tiny size, she had to run to keep up.

“Wait!” she called. “You can’t leave me here!” At this size, she was reasonably afraid that a hawk might eat her. Or perhaps a very hungry squirrel. If they even had squirrels here... She hadn’t seen any normal animals yet. The squirrels were probably ten feet tall and blue with dainty white gloves.

The Mad Hatter whirled around and stared at her. “You don’t slay... Do you have any idea what the Red Queen has done?” His voice became high-pitched, mimicking her. “You don’t slay.”

She spread her hands. It wasn’t fair for him to mock her. “I couldn’t if I wanted to,” she protested. Where would a nice Victorian girl have learned how to slay things? She couldn’t even kill the spiders and caterpillars that found their way into the house - especially now at her current size.
There's a few more minor changes but nothing of real interest. Not a very good novelization if you ask me, but I thought I'd share these anyway.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:00 am

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 pm

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:52 pm

Those are nice but not really related to Tim Burton's Alice.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:46 pm

I know, but I can't find any good Alice pictures from that movie.

jeffrey-dallas
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by jeffrey-dallas » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:24 am

It's art, not photos, but still....

"You're like, really tiny."
"Thanks. I had no idea."

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master