Royalty free images for photomanipulation?

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
Queen Skadi
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Royalty free images for photomanipulation?

Post by Queen Skadi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 am

Just curious where people generally get their resource photos from for photo manipulation? I know there are probably a lot who take their own photos and manipulate those but just for the sake of practice and a little bit of laziness just wondering if anyone can recommend some good image sites or sources to get royalty free pics that can be used for photo manipulation that wont be pinged for copyright violation?

Dr.Minimizer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Royalty free images for photomanipulation?

Post by Dr.Minimizer » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 am

I get a lot of backgrounds from freepik.com. A lot of my book covers use those because they're hi-res, but you do have to attribute them somewhere (mine is inside the front cover).

Queen Skadi
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Queen Skadi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:20 am

So do you generally use your own models with photos you take yourself? Or are there images that are safe to use provided credit is given to the model?

Dr.Minimizer
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Dr.Minimizer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 am

The ones on freepik are provided royalty free as long as you follow their rules (too complicated to go into here but basically okay for collaging or book covers, and you have to attribute them). Some of the photos on book covers, and a lot of the ones as collage backgrounds, I took myself. For example with "Little Miss Witness" the background is the sink in my bathroom, and that's my hand. The girl is from Freepik and this is so noted in the credits page inside the front cover (this is the "attribution" I'm talking about).

As another example for "The Man Who Shrank the World" both the background and woman are from a different image site, but used images provided by specific studios which asked to be attributed by name, so you see those names listed specifically. Each one will have its own rules so just be sure to follow them carefully.

Some of the pay sites like Adobe and Shutterstock have "trial memberships" where you can get up to 10 free images which again you can use if you follow their rules carefully, including attribution. I remember finding one I really liked but when I went to check their rules they said you had to pay if you wanted to use it for any printed media, so I blew it off.