SW Book Review, One Big Love: A Shrunken Woman Love Story

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
Nropyub
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

SW Book Review, One Big Love: A Shrunken Woman Love Story

Post by Nropyub » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 pm

I’ve been bitten by the reading bug lately, and I’ve been filling my Kindle account with some literature of the tiny woman variety. A part of this that I love to read. Another part of this is that I’m working on accepting this part of myself. Also, I’m hoping that I can get people talking about the creators out there and since I know fuck all about art, I figured we could start talking about books! Feel free to suggest titles.

Up first is “One Big Love: A Shrunken Woman Love Story”, by Taedis.

The Good: great details in many for our POV character as she navigates a world made for giants. Absolutely satisfying interactions with a strange world, and I especially loved Anna’s thoughts on her predicament and the words of her therapist.

The Bad: Lackluster romance plot. Too much character development happens ‘off screen’. The book is always at its best when Anna is alone because the conversations are less believable than the concept of a shrunken woman.

The Neither Good or Bad But I Didn’t Expect It Going In: it’s a thrupple romance story. Do with that as you will. I was neutral on it.

In this book we meet our heroine, Anna Greene, who works at a data analyst one a special project led by her mother, Gwen, a brilliant physicist and her father Paul, and equally brilliant biologist. Her mother has created a field projector that is intended to explore the concept of other dimensions by sending a shrew to the ‘other side’. Things go catastrophically wrong and both women are, possibly irrevocably, changed in their each dramatic, fundamental way.

Anna’s journey in the book covers from hours, weeks and then months from her shrinking. She goes from stuck in a lab, to living in a kitchen countertop apartment, that is improved throughout the book. She and others help her adapt to a world where literally nothing was made for her comfort and it shows. Her fiancé, Elliot is only interested in video conversations with her and is very uncomfortable when anything reminds him of her scale. She begins to explore a budding romance with her male roommate, who is a nurse, and her best friend/coworker, Jen.

This romance is actually the weakest part of the book in my opinion. The relationships all hit their most major of milestones off page and later you’re just kinda told what happens. There’s also a two chapter plot line with her ex fiancé that goes nowhere, it just…ends abruptly without involving the main characters, and there are side characters introduced that are just so bizarre and unbelievable that is stretches the imagination.

All in all it’s a great story to read if you like SW, and it’s a very low price. Anna’s solo chapters will make you feel like you’re right there so well it’s jarring when the character interactions can’t. I’m glad I read it, and I’m going to look into other works from the writer because they definitely have potential.