Mixing your fetishes

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Mixing your fetishes

Post by chaser984 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 pm

So the other day, I was on DeviantArt reading a post from MerComix where they were venting about disappointing sales of their recently released comics. One of the people who replied posited that combining more than one fetish in a story could be putting people off. I wonder how true that is. I routinely add ABDL/Diaper, BE, AE, leg growth, and more into my SW fantasy.

How about you? Do you mix & match your fantasies?

For more context, this is the post I was referring to: https://www.deviantart.com/mercomix/jou ... -927122191

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Re: Mixing your fetishes

Post by HHunter1 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:46 pm

I guess that would depend on the person and the fetishes. I have often noticed that many with a SW fetish are also into feet. I've even joked that I'm breaking the Laws of being into SW Fetish for not also being into feet. So a story or art with heavy focus on feet is of no interest to me. But others would love it. (Many others it seems.)

I do mix in other fetishes with my SW fantasies. I'm a huge fan of good Mouth Play. But I also have enjoyed Vore, Bestiality, Cock Worship, and Food Play.

I think mixing of Fantasy Fetishes is fairly common. What is not common is everyone wanting the same mix of fetishes.

I do have to agree with MerComix's note about comments, they do help. If you like some ones work, a comment goes a long way.

HH1

PS: I have no idea what you mean by BE or AE fetishes. And it might be possible I don't want to know. No shame for your interest, but if they are Diaper/scat related I just don't have an interest. :D

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:59 pm

I guess I didn't realize Mercomics was still publishing comics.

It's tough to say what his problem is specifically, or if it's more a combination of issues. First of all is that SW in and of itself is incredibly niche and services a very small community (pun unintended). Another issue might be that he's almost singularly focused on sailor moon parodies, and I'm guessing the totally tykes is a totally spies parody, which means that I'm really not aware of anything of his that isn't fan fiction, which is also a limiting factor for audiences. People tune into franchises for canon continuations, not to look at knock offs (I mean that in no way to slight his work). The art in his comics isn't the best, but it's good, but did he really consider why people would regularly pay for an ongoing series in a franchise he has no creative ownership over?

I actually had to look up what ABDL was, and... definitely not for me. I really don't get the diaper thing, but I'd have to imagine that it's at least as niche and limited in followers as SW. There is also the fact that things along this line as well as AR stuff in general has a strong pedo vibe to it, which is going to immediately shut down a massive number of libidos and I would suggest using very carefully.

Then there is the mixing of fetishes, as the subject brings up. Niche upon niche, upon niche, so to speak. I've wondered about this myself and was extremely nervous to start posting The Goddess' Retreat because of it. GTS, magic, transformation, age reduction, breast expansion and shrunken women all rolled into one tale. I have no idea if it will ever really connect with anyone.

I think Mercomix has done some decent work, and I'm sorry that he's been at it so long and hasn't received the following he was hoping for. First and foremost, keep in mind that these niche fetishes are already going to have extremely limited audiences. Second, note that he's hardly alone here. Jefferey Dallas recently posted frustration at a lack of feedback to the story he's posted and I get the feeling that even more successful writers like Tina Tempest and Tina Tiny on here struggle with a lack of feedback.

My writing isn't as popular or well regarded as some of the others on here, and I have to admit that it's a struggle for me just like some of the others on here. I'm posting regularly an extremely in depth story on here, and I'm really not sure if anyone is even reading it at all other than bots and a handful of people who will occasionally comment and each time I do get a comment it changes my entire day for the positive.

We're all hungry for feedback here, and I think a lot of it boils down to how difficult it is to talk about these kinds of fantasies. How many of us can even discuss any of this IRL? I certainly can't.

My suggestion: Mercomx has been doing this for a while. Perhaps he and a few others who have been doing that kind of work would do well to collaborate a bit more. Perhaps hooking up with Jitensha and a couple of other well regarded writers and setting aside time once every so often on a regular basis might help them all craft work that's more satisfying to produce.

Some of my best conversations about this stuff were when I was in regular contact with SciDram once upon a time and his writing is top tier, so I'm sure adding him to their group if at all possible would be huge help as well.

People aren't going to speak up unless they're really, REALLY moved to do so in this kind of forum. Therefore, I would start with the people who are speaking/writing publically and try to get conversations going that way. Maybe you could call is SWriter Group or something like that. ;)

Finally, focus on writing what HE wants to write and doing the absolute best at it he can. We're not going to be pewdiepie or Amouranth. Tell the best stories you can and remain thankful for who does show up to read. At least you reached someone which is better than none at all.
Check out my SW story Please..: https://ckent45.deviantart.com/

chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by chaser984 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:22 pm

HentaiHunter1 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:46 pm
PS: I have no idea what you mean by BE or AE fetishes. And it might be possible I don't want to know. No shame for your interest, but if they are Diaper/scat related I just don't have an interest. :D
BE and AE are shorthand for breast and ass expansion.

I definitely know the feeling of really enjoying a story and suddenly encountering something that's off-brand for me. I wish tags were more reliably used.

chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by chaser984 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:44 pm

CKent45 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:59 pm
Oof. It probably illustrates a lot of his problem that people don't know that he's still making comics.

You've offered one hell of an analysis here. I'm thinking that I will point him to your post. (If you're okay with that.) This is wonderfully useful stuff that I'll be acting on with this and my other pen name.

P.S.: Be very proud of Retreat. That story is killing it!

CKent45
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by CKent45 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:53 pm

chaser984 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:44 pm
CKent45 wrote:
Oof. It probably illustrates a lot of his problem that people don't know that he's still making comics.

You've offered one hell of an analysis here. I'm thinking that I will point him to your post. (If you're okay with that.) This is wonderfully useful stuff that I'll be acting on with this and my other pen name.

P.S.: Be very proud of Retreat. That story is killing it!
Thank you, sir. I appreciate it very much.

By all means, if Mer can find anything useful from my thoughts, I’d be honored. I’d love for him to get the satisfaction and success he is seeking and I’d love to have even a tiny part in helping him get there.
Check out my SW story Please..: https://ckent45.deviantart.com/

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by HHunter1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:30 am

I think I am fairly guilty of not tagging properly. I'm never sure what to include as tags and what is to little to mention. That and I'm just not sure how to Tag on this forum.

HH1

PickUpArtist

Post by PickUpArtist » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:59 pm

My fetishes mix well, thankfully. The "King Kong" movies fulfill several of them: bondage and handhelds, leg-kicking and even tickling. The 1933's pterodactyl grab was also a bonus. I like large monsters grabbing women, whether with hands, claws, talons or tentacles, especially around the waist.

Mercurius
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Mercurius » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 pm

Hey, I noticed this topic with my name showed up, and thought I popped in to reply to come of the comments here.
CKent45 wrote:
I posted my latest release here. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4344&sid=5c31b8ae1 ... 49d84208de

I dunno how to relay the news to everyone, since it's constantly being bumped down by other threads showing up here.
It's tough to say what his problem is specifically, or if it's more a combination of issues. First of all is that SW in and of itself is incredibly niche and services a very small community (pun unintended). Another issue might be that he's almost singularly focused on sailor moon parodies, and I'm guessing the totally tykes is a totally spies parody, which means that I'm really not aware of anything of his that isn't fan fiction, which is also a limiting factor for audiences. People tune into franchises for canon continuations, not to look at knock offs (I mean that in no way to slight his work).
The recent Sailor Dolls comics is aiming towards fan fiction, which is to address the 90's anime's loopholes.
The art in his comics isn't the best, but it's good, but did he really consider why people would regularly pay for an ongoing series in a franchise he has no creative ownership over?
Totally Tykes sold quite well, despite it's art problems with the line artist that's not very good with English, with it's last installment coming out this Friday. Nobody asked why people would pay for an ongoing series that I have no control over, which is why criticism is a big issue.
My suggestion: Mercomx has been doing this for a while. Perhaps he and a few others who have been doing that kind of work would do well to collaborate a bit more. Perhaps hooking up with Jitensha and a couple of other well regarded writers and setting aside time once every so often on a regular basis might help them all craft work that's more satisfying to produce.
Some of my best conversations about this stuff were when I was in regular contact with SciDram once upon a time and his writing is top tier, so I'm sure adding him to their group if at all possible would be huge help as well.
If that can be arranged on Discord, I'm all eyes on a collab.
Finally, focus on writing what HE wants to write and doing the absolute best at it he can. We're not going to be pewdiepie or Amouranth. Tell the best stories you can and remain thankful for who does show up to read. At least you reached someone which is better than none at all.
I know it's hard to please everyone with my works, and who I pick to draw them.

I recently posted a page of the upcoming comic, (https://www.deviantart.com/mercomix/art ... -927207111) which got quite an attention with over 4,000 views and nearly 100 likes, based on the numerous tags I put up. Unfortunately, it doesn't reflect the sales I was hoping for. I'll have to commission a cover art for the comic that's much better than the bland-looking one here (https://www.deviantart.com/mercomix/art ... -926612205) in hopes to gain much more attention.

Anyway, I'll post a reply with my thoughts on other responses here.

chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by chaser984 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:07 pm

HentaiHunter1 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:30 am
I think I am fairly guilty of not tagging properly.
Given that there is an abbreviation for every conceivable kink, we're bound to miss something every once and again. If I were to post the story I'm working on over at DeviantArt here, I would probably do something like, "sw, mini, Ff, ff, diapers, ageplay, maternal, gentle." I'd be 90% covered and feel good about having given fair notice to readers. If I include diaper use I might update with, "scat" and something to indicate frequency.

So far as I can tell, adding tags here on SWBoard is possible when you start a thread, after the title and before the body text. To my knowledge, there's no "set" of tags reserved by the forum, so we have to freehand the entries.

Where I feel things get tricky is when one of us tries to publish one of their stories someplace like Amazon where things are a bit more restrictive than DA or a specialty forum like this one. I get the impression there's only so much detail you can put in the description before the site's owner would cut you off.

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:42 am

The problem with mixing fetishes is that if you mix something that someone is squicked by with something they like, they'll reject the whole thing. So mix too many things and you'll probably have a product that no one likes. Fortunately there are also neutral reactions, but in all, it will take a lot of strategizing, and maybe a spreadsheet with your whole audience on it.

chaser984
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by chaser984 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:58 pm

Prof Sai wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:42 am
...that someone is squicked by with something they like...
I like to pretend it's not that extreme a response, but I know the feeling. Or even when you get too much of something you like, and you wind up feeling like, "Oh. I went too far and I feel a bit unsettled now." Stories where the protagonist shrinks away to nothing make me feel that way.

Josh the Cyborg
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Josh the Cyborg » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:18 pm

Honestly it just comes down to people's Interests. Any successfull Salesmen knows they can sell anything. They just need to find the people willing to buy or make up the Right Spin to it.

As to Mixing Fetishes. Honestly just depends on the Individual. Shrunken Women for Example kinda lends itself to ABDL(unless in a Sci-Fi or Fantasy world with fully Functioning Dollhouse Plumbing and Electricity) it also lends itself to what are some arguably Rapey Fantasies. Personally I mix Giantess and Shrunken Women into Shrinking Giantess, though my interest in GTS isn't Fetishistic like how my Interest in SW is.
just you're Local Doll Loving, Shrunken Women Obsessed Loon
-Lexcelius

Raso719
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Raso719 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:29 pm

Feet commonly get mixed in with SW fetish. I've never been a fan of feet and the people who put in in their SW or SM stories tent to use shrinking as a vehicle to focus on feet. Not my cup of tea.

LazyOutlaw
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Post by LazyOutlaw » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:31 pm

I never been into feet either, I’m breaking the SW Fetish Law then lol

HHunter1
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by HHunter1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 pm

Huh, I thought I was the only non-foot fetish sw fan. Guess we're a small batch of sw outlaws. I just hope we're not asked to defend some tiny town from bandits or shifty land owners or the like. I have no fancy combat skills. 😛

HH1

Josh the Cyborg
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by Josh the Cyborg » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:18 pm

HentaiHunter1 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 pm
Huh, I thought I was the only non-foot fetish sw fan. Guess we're a small batch of sw outlaws. I just hope we're not asked to defend some tiny town from bandits or shifty land owners or the like. I have no fancy combat skills. 😛

HH1
I am not into Feet either. Its just Statistical, Foot Fetish is the Largest Fetish outside, Boobs, Legs, or Butt. Though this according observation anyway kinda weird to send out a Survey asking about Fetishes. The Statistic Specifically Says half the Population has a foot Fetish but I take that with a Slight Grain of Salt, but it Stands that would also mean the Majority of People with what is Considered a Foot Fetish will most likely have another Fetish usually as an addon to the Foot Fetish sometimes the Foot Fetish is the Addon.

This is a Long way of Explaining that I also don't have a Foot Fetish and will Dodge the Subject myself
just you're Local Doll Loving, Shrunken Women Obsessed Loon
-Lexcelius

Captainsinbad
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by Captainsinbad » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:42 pm

It would seem that loading any story with too many specific fetishs will eventually start putting off more people than you bring in. We should start my realizing that a genra that is a fetish to one person will, invariably be a turn off to others. It's rare to find anyone who shared all of your particular kinks and put offs.

For the sake off this discussion I'm going to use the term "button" for a turn and "trigger" for a something that's a turn off. For the content creator who is attempting to create a work that will appeal to a very broad audience the trick is to push lots of people's buttons while simultaneously hitting the minimum number of triggers.

What makes this even trickier is that the creator's own buttons and triggers are always getting in the way and influencing your work. It seems for a certain age group stories based on established anime characters are very popular for people in that group. But if we step back a little we can see that this isn't going to be universal. Move a few years outside that group in either direction and you will probably see that appeal fall off.

The same is true for more generalized fetishs. For the sake of argument let's say that many people have some sort of fetish that involves feet. Okay, but just what kind of feet? Big feet or very petite, delicate feet? Clean feet or dirty, stinky feet? Feet in silky stockings or tennis shoes? I'm not into feet at all and even I'm aware that the foot kink has a lot of very specific flavors.

It's probably time for a full disclaimer with regards to MerComix's works, since they seem to be the focal point of this thread. My only familiarity with these are through those posted on DeviantArt. Some years ago I read a pitch for a new comic that proudly announced that the story's protagonists shrank when they encountered "a wild Vore-Tooth", if memory serves me. In any case, the ad tripped more triggers and it pushed buttons and I moved along.

Storylines that and build on established, legacy characters; think Marvel, Star Trek, Star Wars, Disney, Cowboy Bebop, etc. have a built-in fan base and there's a certain appeal there. Just look at the current trend in Hollywood to attempt to reboot and revive old franchises in an attempt to squeeze more cash out of them. Great, we have a fan base, established characters and all the gimmicks; all we have to do is scatter the mystery boxes in front of the audience. What could possibly go wrong?

In most cases; what goes wrong is a failure to connect with the target audience. Sure, there's almost certainly some crossover between the SW community and the ABDL community. But how much? And are the aspects of the ADBL fetish that are a hard trigger for many in the SW community? How many do you lose went the diapers are really big? Or messy?

Almost all creators mix various fetishs into their SW projects. Some seem to be more generally accepted than others. Bondage/Domination, handheld and BE seem to be buttons more often than they are triggers. While vore, butt-crush, spanking and transforms (such as furry) are very strong buttons for some but also hard triggers for others.

Know your audience and find the right balance.

birdy
Visitor
Visitor

Post by birdy » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am

I completely agree with the comment that loading a story with too many specific fetishes can eventually put off more people than it brings in. It's important to recognize that what may be a turn on for one person may be a turn off for another. Therefore, as a content creator, the challenge is to appeal to a broad audience by pushing many people's buttons while minimizing the number of triggers.

It's important to understand that creators' own buttons and triggers can often influence their work. Moreover, the appeal of certain fetishes or genres may vary depending on the age group. For instance, stories based on established anime characters may be popular among a certain age group, but this may not be the case for people outside that group.

When it comes to fetishes, even something as generalized as foot fetish has many specific flavors. For example, some people may prefer big feet, while others may prefer delicate and petite feet. Similarly, the type of footwear may also play a role in this fetish.

Regarding established franchises, the built-in fan base and established characters can be appealing. However, creators need to be cautious not to alienate their target audience by mixing too many fetishes that may not appeal to them. It's crucial to understand what aspects of a particular fetish may be a trigger for some people and a button for others.

In summary, as a content creator, it's important to strike a balance between pushing people's buttons and minimizing triggers. It's crucial to understand the target audience and what appeals to them while being mindful of one's own biases and preferences.
My site here : kinkyfay.com

Hand-Holder
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Hand-Holder » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:22 pm

No, dont mix, I hate when Im looking for SW and get feet, breast expansion and age regretion, but that is ne, I HATE IT
My works are 100% free - Send a thanks here - https://www.patreon.com/SWErotica

GirlShrinker25
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by GirlShrinker25 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:31 pm

I have 3 fetishes that I always mix Which are Feet, Shrinking, and Cartoon physics. When I start create an shrinking woman story, Shrinking isis always the main focus. The girls in the story are barefoot and That's it. No kinky foot moments at all. As for the cartoon physics, I always like to see girls act like cartoon characters like doing sound effects and other cartoony stuff Like getting flattened like a pancake , Running in place, Or Being suspended in the air. This is my personal fantasy.