What Don't You See In "S.W. Games" That You'd Like To See?

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
Stubbornstain
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

What Don't You See In "S.W. Games" That You'd Like To See?

Post by Stubbornstain » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:08 pm

Similar questions to the ones I asked on Giantess City, obviously switching out the word "giantess" for "S.W." to tailor them to the audience here. Original topic at Giantess City. Since the question about the game "Big and Small" does not apply here, I have swapped it out. That question was related to feedback that was given to the "kiosk" Giantess Arcade (basically my friend who I made video games with) had at the Size Convention, because people really seemed to want a game like it, where you would play as a giantess and destroy the military. Obviously the military could have tiny ladies in it too.

The original three questions:
SpoilerShow
1. Are there any existing game genres that you believe would be good as a giantess game?

2. Is lack of a game like "Big and Small" since "Big and Small" a sentiment that is shared by the wider community here (and not just people attending the convention)?

3. What has been your biggest gripe with giantess games that have appeared in the community in the past (in terms of ones you have played)?
*Big and Small video demonstration, for those curious:
SpoilerShow
This forum does not appear to support the YouTube tags of the BBC (Bulletin Board Code), like Giantess City (also a PHBbb forum) does.
https://youtu.be/gJ_-uusHFJw

New questions tailored for the Shrunken Woman Board:

1. Are there any existing game genres that you believe would be good as a S.W. game?

Some of the responses I got for question one are as follows:
SpoilerShow
  • Nobody seems to be making use of Ren'Py to make (giantess) games.
  • More than one person mentioned they'd like to see a "giantess dating sim" game.
  • More than one person said they'd like to see an "on the rails experience" (think the original Pokémon Snap)
  • A stealth game, something like "search and rescue" or "cat and mouse"

2. Do you have a favourite S.W. game?

This question was not asked at Giantess City. Naturally, people did list some of their favourite fetish games they have played in the past.

3. What has been your biggest gripe with S.W. games that have appeared in the community in the past (in terms of ones you have played)?

Some of the responses I got for question three (as it relates to giantess game) are as follows:
SpoilerShow
  • Lack of networking (i.e. people with skills not talking to each other so that they may make bigger projects together.
  • Toxicity within the community, both from the side developers and players/fans.
  • Video games not being completed and over-ambition in general.
  • Too many people making games in R.P.G. maker (other people did defend R.P.G. Maker as a tool, mind you, so it's a polarizing topic).
I'll also ask the bonus question that came about from the original topic:

What Accessibility Options Would You Like In Giantess (S.W.) Games?
From this topic at Giantess City.

These are a few options I thought of that would make games more accessible:
SpoilerShow
1. Ability to edit key bindings
2. Colour blindness support (i.e. the ability to change certain colours, if required)
3. Ability to change the text size
4. Difficulty settings for those that want/need them (e.g. if somebody can only play the game on handed)
5. Text to speech (e.g. for dyslexic people)
6. Ability to change screen resolution

Somebody else mentioned:
  • The ability to toggle/disable headbob and screen-shake makes it a lot more enjoyable for people who get motion-sick easily.
  • A "skip" button.
After the next update of Under Her Shadow is out (end of January I am hoping), I reckon that for Giantess Arcade I will be working on a game similar to Frogger by Konami, but with a macro twist. You would have to get resources and then take them back to your bunker or something similar (not clear on the finer details).

In terms of pure S.W. content, I am currently also working on a new visual novel, titled "Between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea". In the game, you play the part of a slave lady who was left for dead on a island (sandbank) and a giant demon lady decides she wants you as pet. In order to satisfy here, you must first complete some challenges for her. This game has an all-female cast of four characters (two giantesses and two "S.W. characters", and I am expecting it to contain around one-hundred unique images, like my other visual novels.

Click on the spoiler tag to see three of screenshots from this project.
SpoilerShow

I am a website administrator at Giantess City so that's probably where you know me from. I make video games and animations.
My DeviantArt gallery: https://www.deviantart.com/stubbornstain
My webstore (with SW games): https://stubbornmystical.itch.io/

Tags:

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Re: What Don't You See In "S.W. Games" That You'd Like To See?

Post by Prof Sai » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:14 am

I've always thought that Tomb Raider would be great adapted as an SW game. Have someone shrink her and blow up her house, and she has to hide in the wreckage and avoid the enemies trying to dig her out. Stealth games are a natural fit for SW. If she is 2 feet tall, she can lug a pistol around, but aiming and shooting it will be hard and she'll be knocked backwards by the gun.

Also a setting for minimal blood or horror stuff. I know other people like it, but for me, reality is bad for this sort of thing. Fun needs to be fun.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:29 pm

There's not a whole lot of games with shrinking.

I know there's some shrinking in the two American McGee's Alice games, I liked those but they're more than 10 years old by now. More recently there's Grounded, which is a really nice take on the micro/insect size survival. It's not my favorite size but I have to admit the game is fun. There's also Inch by Inch, with an interesting gameplay loop - try to reverse the shrinking before it's too late.

All those games suffered from a lack of "perspective", you don't really "feel" like your character is small. Maybe that's something that could be improved in VR? I haven't tried VR a lot but to me it seems like a good solution to provide immersion and a sense of being tiny. I don't know if it's the narrow field of view, or the lack or higher resolution assets. You'd have to switch the details on some objects when you're shrunk, not the low poly count versions. An object like a shoe doesn't look the same when you're 5 inches tall.

I think stealth-horror would be a good genre fit, even if it's not my favorite. Resident Evil's Shadows of Rose DLC has a level with a small Rose in a wicked game of hide and seek with dolls. The third person perspective just works very well somehow, I'd have to say it's the best implementation of a shrunken character I've seen so far. Just wish she was smaller, (and caught / handheld by the giant freaky mannequin).

An action RPG with the main quest being focused on size changing could also work. Let's say, a princess being shrunk and you're part of a team of heroes helping her get back to normal size. A character-switch mecanism could be fun, where you play from the SW's perspective but also from her normal-sized companions. I can imagine gameplay mecanics where her small size sometimes help, like escaping from a prison, or spying.

Either way, I'd say the most important thing is not use shrinking as a "funny" plot device. Make it somehow traumatic to the SW, and not a comic relief.

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:30 am

foreverlurk wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:29 pm
Either way, I'd say the most important thing is not use shrinking as a "funny" plot device. Make it somehow traumatic to the SW, and not a comic relief.
For me it needs to be somewhere in the middle. If the heroine isn't bothered, that isn't fun, (Gawayn) but if she is traumatized for life, that isn't attractive either.

chocolatejr9
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by chocolatejr9 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:13 am

foreverlurk wrote:
An action RPG with the main quest being focused on size changing could also work. Let's say, a princess being shrunk and you're part of a team of heroes helping her get back to normal size. A character-switch mecanism could be fun, where you play from the SW's perspective but also from her normal-sized companions. I can imagine gameplay mecanics where her small size sometimes help, like escaping from a prison, or spying.
Unrelated, but wasn't there a cartoon with basically that same premise?

Stubbornstain
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Post by Stubbornstain » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:15 am

A few things to note:

1. Like here, a stealth game was also mentioned multiple times at Giantess City, so it is certainly a genre to investigate further.

Years ago, I made a detailed plan for a game, that could be built as a "stealth horror game". It would have involved traveling (walking primarily) around a city that has been attacked/destroyed by alien giantesses, and the player would need collect up the parts/tools needed to escape the planet or ring world, etc (i.e. build either a teleport device or a spaceship). All the while, every time you need to venture outside of your laboratory (a base which would presumably be underground, at least partially) to gather supplies and materials, you need to avoid the giant(ess) aliens. Then, if you wanted multiple lives you would also need to gather up tissue samples and/or organs from dead bodies in order to clone yourself in the cloning machine (if you were to run out of clones, or the laboratory is destroyed, then it's "game over"). Obviously I'd want the player to have the choice of being able to play as either female or male. The stealth aspect would come in because you do not want to be spotted because you would be unable to fight back.

2. In terms of graphics, I should stress that "true" 3D graphics would cost a lot to do because I'd need to pay for additional licenses, in order to export the models themselves. The closest to "3D" I'd be able to do is the sort of graphics from the game "Doom", basically camera tricks to give the illusion of 3D. See, if I export images of the models then I don't need to buy the extended licenses.

3. No plans to make a VR game. Way beyond our expertise.
foreverlurk wrote:
All those games suffered from a lack of "perspective", you don't really "feel" like your character is small.
I think have hopefully solved that in my newest visual novel (working on it now) by playing around with the camera's "depth of field". By changing the depth of field, I can change the focus in the scene to emphasize different things. Plus, to make something look big or small, I've found it useful to include a "point of reference" in an image. So for example, the player will often seen the giant demoness next to the palm trees of the sandbank or the shipwreck, with the "main character" (the principle SW) out of focus.
I am a website administrator at Giantess City so that's probably where you know me from. I make video games and animations.

foreverlurk
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by foreverlurk » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:43 pm

Prof Sai wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:30 am
For me it needs to be somewhere in the middle. If the heroine isn't bothered, that isn't fun, (Gawayn) but if she is traumatized for life, that isn't attractive either.
Right, I'm not too much into violence (physical or psychological), but I could see a story written around the aftermath of a SW's experience being somehow haunting and traumatic for a while. I'd always wanted to see that psychological side explored, ie. life after being restored to normal size and having nightmares / flashbacks about that experience in her everyday life.
chocolatejr9 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:13 am
Unrelated, but wasn't there a cartoon with basically that same premise?
Yes, and Prof Sai already mentionned it : Gawayn. But I was thinking about princess Parisa in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.
Stubbornstain wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:15 am
In terms of graphics, I should stress that "true" 3D graphics would cost a lot to do because I'd need to pay for additional licenses, in order to export the models themselves.
Of course, I'm aware that those are beyond the scope of your project. I was just outlining what would be my ideal SW game.
Stubbornstain wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:15 am
I think have hopefully solved that in my newest visual novel (working on it now) by playing around with the camera's "depth of field".
That's definitely part of the solution. I think it may be easier in 3rd person view, too, somewhow. I'm not sure what the secret is.

PickUpArtist

Post by PickUpArtist » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:57 pm

I'd like to see a game where you're the giant (or monster) who can pick up and carry around any woman you choose. More handhelds!

Stubbornstain
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Post by Stubbornstain » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:34 pm

foreverlurk wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:43 pm
That's definitely part of the solution. I think it may be easier in 3rd person view, too, somewhow. I'm not sure what the secret is.
How would you say the following looks? Player character is in the middle of the image, subject to the depth of field effect. The giant demoness's face is never shown, by the way (so it's a bit like the Tom and Jerry shorts in that regard). Plus, I now have my free for commercial use rune font (URL for it inside spoiler tag).

Prof Sai
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by Prof Sai » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:22 am

PickUpArtist wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:57 pm
I'd like to see a game where you're the giant (or monster) who can pick up and carry around any woman you choose. More handhelds!
I guess being the giant and being the tiny are basically different fetishes that don't have that much in common. If I had to take care of a tiny, it would be nothing but responsibility and trying to help her feel better about it. Not appealing at all.

Supernaut
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Hmmm...good questions!

Post by Supernaut » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 am

As for me, I'd enjoy being able to try to shrink a huge giantess down into a micro sw, during adventure rampages. But at the risk of making her grow EVEN bigger. So I and my shrunken harem would have to run and hide. Where thinking is as important as shooting. Trying to save the town from random female expansion virus (RFE). Say, only 4% of the population gets it, but you can't tell who - or when! And, as it's happening across a huge area you are on your own. So also a bit of a survival game. There are reasons to treat your sw's well. If they escape, they are still infected! They'll grow back EVEN bigger! So, depending upon how you have treated them; you can gain a powerful ally - OR enemy! An ally will want to be shrunken again. An enemy WON'T.
My best friend gave me the best advice ;)
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride