New Ebook: Special Project Shrink

The board to share all your fiction
Tina-Tiny
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

New Ebook: Special Project Shrink

Post by Tina-Tiny » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi all.

I recently published another single story ebook.

Description: Colonel Kara Jones is under a lot of pressure. If she can't produce tangible results from her Special Research Division, the funds will be moved over to her rival's weapon projects. When an accident occurs, Colonel Jones suddenly becomes a living piece of evidence of her project's success. Forced to rapidly adapt to her new situation, she also finds herself having to defend against her rival's ambitions, as well as navigate the emerging feelings between her and her assistant turned caretaker. Can this shrunken commander successfully maintain her authority?

The book has been published to both Amazon and Smashwords.
Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099ZYVKQH/
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1095407

In addition, I have included the first chapter below.

Enjoy, and if you read it, do please let me know what you think!

-Tina <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen.”

Colonel Kara Jones exited the meeting room, leaving the Congressional delegation behind her. Closing the door, she took a deep breath before straightening herself and beginning her trek back to her office. Various staff saluted her as she made her way through the facility, but Col. Jones was deep in thought. The delegation had been harder on her than ever before. She supposed she couldn’t blame them...her Special Research Division had failed to report any tangible results for two years now. They were technically a part of the air force due to the nature of some of their projects, but the new administration was questioning its defense spending, and it looked like her division was on the chopping block.

Another fifteen minutes and a few dozen salutes later and she finally arrived at her office. The guard opened the door to her office waiting room and she entered, practically running into another woman who was on her way out.

“Oh, Colonel, exactly who I was coming to see.”

The other woman backed into the area with a salute, allowing Col. Jones to enter. She returned to salute.

“Lieutenant Colonel Vasquez...to what do I owe this pleasure?”

The women lowered their arms and the husky brunette smiled.

“I heard that the meeting with the Congressional delegation may not have gone quite as well as we anticipated.”

Col. Jones was no longer amazed at the speed at which certain information spread throughout the base...or at least, to certain interested ears.

“That’s classified,” she answered.

“Of course. I’m just concerned for the Division is all. As you know, my team has a few projects that could be used to satisfy any of these congresspeople’s curiosities.”

“Weapon projects, you mean.”

Lt. Col. Vasquez shrugged. “The science is already there, and you know the administration is always interested in strapping another multi-million dollar crater-maker to its jets. It would at least give them something to bite on at the next budgetary hearing. Might even, I don’t know, protect against a change in administration?”

Col. Jones wanted to chastise the other woman, but as the ranking officer, it was her duty to keep her composition. She knew well enough that Vasquez was after her position...after all, the fact that they had posted a full colonel to the role was a little bit absurd. Still, it was hers, and she intended to keep it.

“You know that I pride myself in open communication between the senior officers. But,” Col. Jones narrowed her eyes ever so slightly, her face stoic, “Sometimes I think you forget yourself.”

Lt. Col. Vasquez responded with a salute and a nod. “Colonel,” she said before walking out. Col. Jones exhaled and turned, taking a few steps to the desk where a tall, fit, blonde man sat. He saluted her and she returned the gesture.

“Lieutenant,” she said with a nod, then a smile. “How are things today, Paul?”

“It’s fine? Um...how did the meeting go?”

Col. Jones shook her head, her demeanor softening. She knew she didn’t have to be so straight and official around him, a fact that was often a source of comfort on stressful days.

“I’m sure my short conversation with the Lieutenant Colonel provided more than enough information to answer that question.”

“Uhh...yea...sure...I mean...what conversation?” he said, putting on an innocent face. Col. Jones laughed.

“You’re too good.”

He smiled. “I know you’re the best person for the job, by the way. I wouldn’t want to work for Vasquez.”

She smiled back. “I appreciate that. And it’s Lieutenant Colonel Vasquez to you. Don’t forget it.”

He nodded. “Yes ma’am. Sorry ma’am. Oh! Sorry I forgot...Dr. Chan is waiting in your office.”

“Oh, when did that happen?” she inquired.

“Just a few minutes before Vasqu- Lieutenant Colonel Vasquez came in, ma’am.”

“Thank you, Paul. Carry on.”

He nodded as she turned and entered her office. She was immediately greeted by a short, chinese-american woman in a white lab coat.

“Kara! It’s nice to see you. How did the meeting go?”

Col. Jones put the binder she was carrying down on her desk before turning to address the other woman.

“Honestly, Mallory...it could have gone better.”

The other woman frowned. “I’m sorry to hear.”

“Yea, well what are you going to do? I mean...other than create a working prototype sometime in the next few months?”

Mallory smiled. “Actually, I have some potentially good news on that front. The Matter Recombination team is actually going to be launching a test run on organic matter today.”

Kara looked confused for a moment before it came to her. “Oh...yes yes yes...the, um...the ‘Shrink Ray’ project, right?”

Dr. Chan crossed her arms. “Kara, I’ve told you before, it’s not a ray. We’re using Microwave Radiation from localized emitters to focus a pulse and affect the nano-”

Right about here was when Kara’s mind always shut down. She didn’t understand the science behind it and she didn’t pretend to, no matter how many times Dr. Chan tried to explain it. And anyway, the whole concept of a Micro...Nano...Recombo-whatever was also just such a ridiculous idea. In fact, this whole project was...frankly...the most absurd one on the docket. But Dr. Chan, a leading mind in experimental physics, insisted that the science was sound, so here they were.

“...assuming we can even get the resonance to capacity. I’m sorry...am I babbling again?”

Kara shook her head, coming back to reality. “Hmm? Oh, no Mallory, it’s fine.”

Mallory shook her head, a knowing smile on her face.

“Anyway, I have to go get ready. We will be running the test at sixteen hundred hours. See you there?”

Kara nodded. “I’ll be there.”

Dr. Chan left as Col. Jones took her seat. She pressed a button on her phone console.

“Yes Colonel?” came her assistant’s voice from over the intercom.

“Clear my schedule, Paul. I’ll be busy the rest of the day.

“Yes, ma’am.”