Dewdrops

The board to share all your fiction
littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Dewdrops

Post by littlest-lily » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:36 pm

Eyyyy these two are back! I’ll be honest, I just started writing more chapters right after I finished Rain on the Pavement (even though I didn’t think I’d post them), just because I wasn’t done spending time with these characters lol. But then I found a way to continue their story while *also* still keeping some SW content in there so I figured what the heck, I’ll go ahead and post these~

Part 1 (Rain on the Windowsill): https://shrunken-women-board.com/phpBB3 ... f=9&t=4206
Part 2 (Raindrops): https://shrunken-women-board.com/phpBB3 ... f=9&t=4248
Part 3 (Rain on the Pavement): https://shrunken-women-board.com/phpBB3 ... f=9&t=4441

Or, here’s a recap of everything: https://www.deviantart.com/littlest-lil ... -928676102

----------

Chapter 1

“Hello! Long time no see.”

I stare at the text on my screen for a few seconds, and then quickly hit backspace. I try again.

“Hi. Want to get coffee sometime?”

I pause. Stare. Delete. Try again.

“Hey Leo. How have you been?”

This doesn’t feel right either, but I’ve been agonizing for twenty minutes. Fuck it. I hit send.

I put my phone down, knowing that if I don’t I won’t be able to stop looking at the screen and waiting for a response. I leave it on the kitchen counter and try to keep myself occupied by cleaning some dishes. I’ve been finding mundane tasks like this very therapeutic lately. It’s something I can control, something that keeps me grounded. I’ve been no stranger to bouts of anxiety over the past three weeks. Little things like this help.

Speaking of anxiety. I almost drop the cup I’m drying as I hear the buzz of my phone after ten or so minutes. I hurry over and frantically turn the device on.

“Hey, it’s good to hear from you. I’m doing alright, how about you?”

Even just seeing his name on the screen is making my heart beat faster. I take a deep breath and text him back. “I’m okay. I feel like I’m mostly settled back in.”

A few moments later he responds with a simple “Glad to hear it!”

I can feel the conversation stalling before it even really starts. I’m sure he probably doesn’t know what to say. I start typing without really thinking, see I’ve just written the words “I miss you” and then immediately delete it again. Ugh, I hate that this is so complicated. Time to get to the point.

“I think I’m ready to meet up. If you want to.”

I wait. His response is very quick. “I’d love to! Let me know when and where and I’ll be there.”

Letting out a slow breath, I let myself smile. As always, there’s a small voice in the back of my head reminding me that this very well might all be a terrible idea. I vaguely wonder if I’ll ever see the day where I’m not paranoid about every little thing. We continue texting.

“Well, full disclosure, I’m nervous. Ok if we do it sooner than later? Like, tomorrow?”

“If it makes you feel better, I’m nervous too lol. Hell, I’m free today if you want. But otherwise tomorrow works!” And then he adds a second text, “Also, if you’re actually uncomfortable, we don’t have to meet up at all. No pressure”

“No, I want to. Let’s say 3pm today at Quali-tea?”

“See you then!”

Okay. Now to just get through the next couple of hours without throwing up.

*~*~*

Maybe I shouldn’t have picked the place where we had met up for the first time. It feels incredibly weird to be back here. But it’s too late, it’s almost three and this is happening no matter how I feel about it at this point. The first - and last - time we’d met up here, I’d arrived quite a bit before he did, and I’m early again this time. Which is why I feel particularly shocked when I walk into the coffee shop to see Leo is already sitting at one of the tables.

He glances up at the sound of the door opening and his eyes light up when he sees me. I feel frozen on the spot, taken aback by the sight of him. He looks the same as the last time I saw him - maybe his skin’s a bit more sun-kissed, maybe his sandy blonde hair is slightly longer. His eyes haven’t changed, though. Those mesmerizing deep brown eyes... Funny how he looks the same and yet the sight of him still feels so weirdly foreign to me. The size of him is all wrong.

He stands to make his way over, smiling warmly, and I wonder how we’ll greet each other. The last time I saw him we had kissed, but I can’t imagine doing that right now. I almost want to reach out for a handshake as if we were starting over, but that feels stupid too. Leo reaches me and pauses, holding his arms out tentatively in gentle invitation.

Finally I snap out of my frozen state and smile at him in turn, stepping forward and accepting the hug. It’s not a particularly long or passionate one, just the slightest bit of intimacy at the weight of his chin on the top of my head. It feels nice.

“Hey, Lily,” he says as he pulls away, and it’s good to hear his voice again too. “Thanks for coming.”

“Sorry to… I mean… thank you. For coming,” I say awkwardly. My expression breaks a little as I laugh. “I told you I’d be nervous.”

“That’s okay. This was probably going to feel weird no matter what,” he responds with a chuckle. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“Nah, that’s alright, I got it. I’ll be right back,” I say, and he doesn’t insist. That’s another thing that has felt good, being able to provide for myself again. Even something as simple as buying a cup of tea.

I meet him at the table in the back corner of the room - the downside with meeting in public is potentially dealing with other people overhearing, but it’s pretty empty in here today. Leo’s waiting for me with a smile and a keen look in his eye. He doesn’t look particularly intimidated, although I know him well enough to sense a little bit of nerves. When I sit down he’s ready with a question, asked softly.

“So how are you, really?”

“Uhh,” I say, settling into my seat, “You first.”

“Dangit,” he laughs, bested. “Alright. Sooo… Honestly, I’m really not too bad, all things considered? Um…”

He seems to hesitate on oversharing and there’s a heaviness in the air. But I think it’s clear to the both of us that we’re here to really catch up and be open with one another. There’s no point in wasting time on small talk.

“I guess I’ll admit that the first week after getting home was really hard. There’s just so many… reminders everywhere. I just… I… missed you. I mean…” He lets out a sigh. “I guess that part hasn’t changed too much.”

My mouth feels dry and I nod, not fully sure what to say. “It’s better now, though?” I ask.

“Yeah, a little. I put things away, did a lot of resting, a whole lot of reflecting. Saw friends. Went back to work. I’m finding a new rhythm. I'll be just fine.” His gaze lingers on me a little longer as he seems particularly hesitant to say the next thing on his mind.

“Go on,” I say, trying to sound encouraging. “If I wanted to meet up it’s because I want us to be open and honest.”

“Okay… I’m trying to figure out how to say this,” he mutters pensively, “I’ve really been trying to give you your space. I know I don’t have the right to intrude on your life. And I’m scared to screw anything up. But after everything that happened I also can't help feeling really… really worried about you.”

I’m picking up on it more now, the subtle tells in his posture and his expression giving away some of the vulnerability that he’s feeling. As cautious as I’m trying to be about everything, I can’t help it right now - I reach out and take his hand. He gently squeezes my fingers in his.

“I’m…” I begin, and I can’t quite get myself to tell him I’m okay. It was easier to sound more confident about that over text than in person.

Leo reaches out to my shoulder with his free hand, and at first I think he's aiming for the sleeve of my shirt, but then his fingers make contact with my skin. He trails a thumb over the thin pale line that runs down my arm, almost to my elbow. The cut is barely visible now, it wasn't deep enough to leave much of a scar. All of the real scars are invisible.

“You’ve been through a lot. No thanks to me,” he says quietly. “I know you need time to yourself, but... sometimes it doesn’t feel like I let you go free. Sometimes it feels like I just… abandoned you.”

Ahhh shit, I feel like I might cry. He sees me tearing up and lets out a wince, pulling his hands away.

“Crap. Five minutes in and already I’m fucking up. I shouldn’t have said that, Lily, I don’t want to burden you with–”

“Stop, stop, I’m fine," I laugh, blinking away the tears without letting them fall, and I take his hand again. "That just… means a lot, I guess, is all. This was bound to be a bit messy, on some level. Okay.” I take a deep breath in. “How about I just… take my turn and tell you how I’ve been?”

He smiles weakly. “Yes, please.”

“Some of it has been really hard, for sure. Definitely took a lot of adjusting at first - physically, I mean. It’s weird how I got so used to…” I glance around and even though there’s no one near us I still lower my voice, “...being small. I had to get used to being like this again. Still not quite there, I think. And it took me a little while to feel comfortable being by myself. I more or less lived with Cherri for a bit, I’ve only been alone back at my place for about a week now.”

Leo’s hanging on my every word. A part of me feels bad that I didn’t keep him looped in more, but I do also think it was good for me to really hone in on my own needs for these couple of weeks.

“Otherwise, I’ve just been focusing on my health,” I continue, “Trying to eat right, exercise, that kind of thing. Obviously mental health is probably what I’m most worried about, but thankfully my closest friend is a psychologist - or well, studying to be one. So I’ve kinda been doing… therapy?”

He smiles widely at this. “Thank god for Cherri,” he says.

“I don’t know what I’d do without her. It’s going to take a lot of time. I have my moments where I’m in a really bad place. And then I have days like today where I feel like things are going to be okay…"

I drift into thoughtful silence for a moment. Doing my own evaluation of just how much to share. Seeing him in person, seeing how hard he's trying to do the right thing and how much he cares is encouraging to me. I'm really feeling for him and follow the urge to bridge the gap.

"One thing I did want to say, Leo,” I add, “I want you to know that most of the trauma and stuff that I’m dealing with is not about you. It’s from those last few days. Not all of it. But the worst of it is that.”

We're still holding hands on the table like it's a lifeline. He softens his grip now, running his thumb gently over mine.

"Thank you for saying that, but… Make sure you're not suppressing anything, okay? I don't want you making excuses for me just because the other guy was worse…"

There's a pause, and then I ask, "You're still dealing with a lot of guilt, aren't you?"

He contemplates this. "Shouldn't I be?"

"I don't know… I guess guilt can be healthy if it helps you be a better person. But shame for the sake of shame doesn't sound very productive."

He smiles. "You're the one sounding like a therapist right now."

"Ha. Yeah right. You think therapy could help though? I can ask Cherri if…" I trail off as a thought hits me. "Oh wow. I guess you don't really have anyone to talk about this stuff with? Have you told anyone?"

"No. Well, not really. A little bit with a couple of friends, but it's kinda hard to get into it without talking about the whole shrinking thing."

"Seriously, want me to ask Cherri about you having a session with her? She's so good at it, it's been making all the difference for me."

"Uhhh, are you sure she would want that? I'm assuming she's not the biggest fan of mine at this point if she knows everything that happened."

"I… guess it's complicated. I just hate that you're dealing with this by yourself."

"I really appreciate it, but please don't worry about me. You have enough on your plate and I'll be fine, little one, so-"

We both freeze for a second as he stops himself short. I see a wave of embarrassment pass over him. "Oops. Sorry."

I keep my eyes downcast for a moment. And then I look up at him sheepishly. "I probably shouldn't admit this," I say, "But if we're being open and honest… I've missed hearing you say that. Which is not an invitation for you-know-what," I add that last part quickly, jokingly.

Now it's a wave of relief washing over him instead. He grins a little and pats me playfully on the head. "I know. And I mean, you are quite a bit shorter than me as is. So I guess it can still apply."

I blush and just stare at him for several seconds. "Yeah… I really miss you, man," I finally say.

Leo falls silent, taken aback by the sincerity in my voice, and closes his eyes for a moment. When he opens them again they're glistening. He can't quite get any words out.

I lightly slap him on the shoulder, a casual gesture to try and lighten the mood. "Cool, we both made each other cry. A successful reunion!"

We laugh at this and I appreciate the ease that I feel is starting to return between us. It's still so weird talking to him like this, at a normal eye level, using normal speaking volumes, in public no less. I still have so much adjusting to do.

"Oh, hey, you know what I need your help with?" I say, figuring that's enough emotional talk for the moment. "I need a new game recommendation. Remind me what's still on our list?"

"Hmmm, let me think. You still don't have a Switch, do you?"

"Nope. But I have been meaning to get one…"

"In that case, I think it's time."

"For?"

"Breath of the Wild! You will absolutely adore that game."

"Oh my god, how could I have forgotten Zelda? That's it, I'm buying it on the way home."

We fall into a discussion about other Switch games I could play and soon time is slipping away from us. Our dynamics are a little different than how they used to be, maybe more reminiscent of how we interacted before his big betrayal. Except we’re closer now than we were then. We pick up on subtler cues from each other, know more details about each other’s interests. This… this is what I would have wanted, at the beginning. To reach a level of friendship with him like this before we rush into anything else. It's going to be impossible to just ignore everything that happened between us. But this is a breath of fresh air.

Before I know it, over two hours have passed. I suddenly notice the clock on the wall and feel a little flutter of surprise. “Whoa, it’s past five! Sorry, I need to start heading home, I have to grab groceries on the way. Especially if I’m getting a Switch too.”

“Well we better send you off then! Zelda takes precedence.”

We tidy up our area and head out the door together. My car’s parked right out front so I go ahead and wish him goodbye, hesitating just a bit before going in for another hug, of my own initiation. His arms wrap around me easily, hands linking up against my back. It’s a bit of a tighter embrace this time, and we hold it for longer.

“This feels weird, right?” I say as I squeeze him for emphasis, “Hugging like this?”

I can feel Leo’s quiet laugh ruffle my hair. “It’s a little weird. I could definitely get used to it, though.”

“Yeah… same here. It was good to see you, Leo.”

“You too, little one.” He doesn’t apologize for it this time. I smile into his chest.
If you’d like to support me and my work, please feel free to leave me a tip and I will be so grateful! https://ko-fi.com/littlestlily

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Dewdrops

Post by littlest-lily » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:22 pm

Chapter 2

I step outside of my plastic house, looking warily around the wide, open space of the wooden desk. I’m still not quite used to that transition from the normal scale of the house to the vastness of the apartment. It’s only been a couple of days since my captivity began. Since my life was flipped upside down.

Leo’s at work right now and I’d spent the morning in the quiet emptiness of the dollhouse, feeling pretty out of it. I haven’t been sleeping well. I’m nowhere near accustomed to interacting with a giant man on a daily basis, and whenever I’m not with him I’m just alone with my thoughts. I had a good, long cry this morning, leaving me feeling even more drained, although the emotional catharsis is also helpful, in a way, to settle my nerves... One day at a time.

I walk over to the makeshift gym Leo has started putting together. There are a couple of swatches of different materials to help me get used to a variety of surfaces and inclines, and I go sit on the patch of fuzzy cloth, just to try and soothe myself with something soft. I'm too tired to attempt much of an actual workout. Just dealing with my oversized captor is already plenty of exercise… I stretch my sore muscles until I feel bored, and then I make an attempt on the popsicle stick balance beam. As I pad my way across it I feel a little lightheaded - I don't fall but I do climb back down soon enough, not wanting to test my luck.

In a sluggish attempt to ease my boredom I go to the book that Leo had propped up for me on a stand. It's a little unwieldy to turn the pages but it's much better than having no entertainment at all, and for a little while I escape into the paper and ink.

My growling stomach takes me back inside to the miniature fridge. Every day that the giant's at work he leaves me a small piece of whatever he's packed for lunch - so far it's been sandwiches or leftovers from dinner. At least everything has been tasting good. I don't have much time to enjoy the boost of endorphins from the food, though.

I've barely finished cleaning the dishes when I hear it in the distance - the apartment's front door opening. The sound makes me flinch and I frantically look around for the closest clock. Why is he back so early? The stress and sleep deprivation have really been piling up, I can't
deal with this today…

I sit there in the dollhouse, wondering what would happen if I refuse to come out. Maybe he won't come over here yet… But that's just wishful thinking, if his approaching footsteps are any indication. I'm still his shiny new toy, after all.

"Knock knooock!” There's a thumping at the dollhouse door, making me shudder. I put my feet up on my chair, pulling my legs in to bury my face against my knees. After a pause, there's another, more insistent rapping of fingernail against wood. "Lily?"

I exhale loudly. I know I can only put this off for so long. I go to the entryway, hesitating for a moment longer before opening the door and facing the giant beyond it.

Leo has his arms crossed on the desk, his chin resting on his hands, to be level with the door he was knocking on. His gaze holds a sense of wonder as my small frame comes into view. "There she is," he says, smiling warmly.

"I guess work ended early?" I ask as a greeting.

“Sorta. Someone in the building pulled the fire alarm, it was a whole thing. Figured I would just come home and finish the work day from here. Want to join me?"

Feeling a little more brazen than usual, I counter, “Do I have a choice?”

“You can choose to come willingly or not," Leo teases, and he slides a hand close to me to poke at my stomach, making me squirm and shy away from him. My particularly foul mood isn't lost on him, though. “What’s up, little one? You feeling okay?"

I glare daggers at him. “Stellar."

"Hmmm…" His brow creases, his deep brown eyes taking me in for a few moments longer, and then he lifts his head up from his arms. “Okay, let’s cheer you up. Come here, love."

I go stiff as his fingers wrap around me. He’s gotten so comfortable picking me up like this - too comfortable. It’s not painful or anything, for the most part. The feeling of nausea from his walking has gotten better too. It’s just… constant overstimulation whenever I’m with this guy. I can’t imagine ever being able to relax around him.

He takes me out to the living room, heading towards his desk where his work laptop is already waiting. There's something else there too, a box of some kind, but I don't get a good look at it before I'm suddenly lifted higher, towards Leo's face. He gives me a quick kiss - I shrink back uselessly as his oversized lips press against my cheek, neck and shoulder all at once - before he lowers me down again, placing his hand on the desk to let me climb off myself.

"I got you something," Leo chirps, motioning towards the cardboard box that looks more like a cargo trailer to me.

“What is it?" I ask warily.

“It’s a jigsaw puzzle. I thought you might have fun with it while I work."

If I stand on my tiptoes from the other side of the desk I can catch a glimpse at the contents of the open box. Sure enough it's full of poster-sized colorful pieces. Possibly even more unwieldy than the book, but this actually will be a pretty nice way to pass the time. I don't thank him, but he seems happy at my look of interest anyway.

"Can I get you a snack or anything?" he asks.

I look up at him hesitantly, my temper softened by the gift. "Is there any more mango?" I request with a more subdued tone.

Enthusiastically he nods. "There sure is, I still have some cut tiny for you. Feel free to get settled and I'll be right back."

I stare after him as he goes to the kitchen before I curiously make my way towards the box of puzzle pieces. I walk across the desk, passing over a few papers stacked up that I’m assuming are documents related to Leo’s work. As soon as I step onto that top page I’ve already made a terrible mistake. They’re glossy, which means they slip easily against each other, and a large part of the corner of the stack is dangling off the edge of the desk.

Before I realize what’s happening, I lose my footing as the floor seems to lurch beneath me. The top couple of sheets of paper slide right off to the side, carrying me with them, and I’m too shocked to cry out as to my horror I’m falling, right off the side of the desk–

I’m in free fall for a split second before I hit something hard, the wind getting knocked out of me. My hands desperately grab at the cliff that I’ve landed on before I can slip off again, my legs dangling over the precipice below. With insane luck I’ve somehow landed on the armrest of the desk chair. But my luck might be running out as I hang there precariously, a 60 foot drop to the hard floor below me. It doesn’t even occur to me to attempt to call for help, I’m too panicked to think straight. My arms are shaking but the adrenaline is enough - with monumental effort I manage to hoist myself up onto the armrest.

I’m breathing hard, fearfully crouched on the narrow perch, and I hardly have time to get my bearings again when I notice the vibrations and hear the boom of incoming feet, each step enough to shake my perch slightly. I look towards the giant that comes into view and suddenly realize something terrifying. He’s reaching right towards me, not having noticed that I’m here, his massive hand is approaching at a staggering speed–

“Whoa whoa whoa!” I scream, bracing myself for the impact. Leo’s a hair away from smacking right into me and his hand jerks at the sound of my yell. He was going to put his full weight on the armrest to sit down, so the sudden dodge actually knocks him off balance and he has to catch himself onto the desk with his other hand. I peer upwards to see his breathing is shallow and his eyes are wide as they fixate me.

“Jesus Christ, Lily!” he says breathlessly, “You scared the crap out of me.”

I scared you?” I shout, my whole body shaking like a leaf.

He straightens up, putting a hand on his chest and letting out a sigh in an effort to slow his heart rate. “I could've crushed you just now. How did you even get there?”

At this point I’m feeling enraged. “How do you think?! I slipped and fell walking across.”

Leo looks down at the couple of sheets of paper that have fallen to the ground, piecing together what happened. He takes another deep breath as he starts to regain himself. “Well thank god you didn't fall to the floor… Okay, note to self. Gotta know where my little fairy is at all times.”

“Seriously, Leo!” I’m near tears now and just want to be off of this cliff. I just want all of this to be over. “How can I convince you that this whole thing’s a terrible idea? I'll be dead by the end of the week!”

Now that he’s calmed down, he seems to realize the precarious position I’m still in and brings his hands over to gather me up onto his palm. “Aww. It’s okay, little one,” he coos as he lifts me up, stroking my back with his finger. “I'm sorry, I’m sure that was scary. But don't worry, I'll get better at this, and so will you. We'll keep figuring it out, alright?"

I try to push his hand away, his touch too much against my frayed nerves. “Or you could make me bigger,” I snap.

He smiles cooly. “Or I could make you smaller. You probably wouldn't have made the paper slip if you were lighter." He apparently doesn't get the message that I don't want to be touched right now as he playfully pokes at the top of my head. "And then I wouldn't have to hear all of that adorable whining."

My heart sinks as I run out of steam and fall into silence. I sit there, shoulders slumped and eyes unfocused, and I just let him pet me.

*~*~*

"He did not say that."

"Something like that, I can't quite remember."

Cherri leans back in her chair, her bright blue eyes looking at neither me nor her clipboard but gazing off into space. "Fuck, sometimes it's really hard to be a neutral party. I don't hate the guy, Lily, I know he's changed or whatever, but right now I just want to pummel him."

I curl my legs up onto the couch as I smile weakly. "Yeah, this was really early on, when he was being much more of an idiot… I make no excuses for him."

She sighs and turns her attention to me. "Okay, sorry, back to what you were saying. So you think those kind of experiences still affect you now?"

"Yeah, sort of. Like… there’s a reason I kept so much buried inside back then, you know? Sometimes it just felt like it was pointless to say how I really felt. And… I don’t know, there’s something about being blatantly told ‘What you say doesn’t matter.’ It was way worse with Nathan, of course, but clearly Leo did it too, at the beginning… That idea of ‘I’m going to make you smaller because I don’t want to hear you.’ Nathan literally just… did that. Leo said it as a joke once or twice, but I wouldn’t have put it past him to actually do it as a joke either. It just… it all still messes with my brain.”

“How so? Do you have any examples in mind?”

“Umm… Like at the climbing gym the other day, I was talking with this other climber. He was looking for feedback on his technique, I had a thought and I just… didn’t share it. And I mean, I’ve always been a little shy about stuff like that, but still, he was asking for critique. Afterwards I kept wondering to myself why I didn’t just tell him what I had in mind. And I realized it was because I thought he wouldn’t want to hear it… It’s weird, I don’t feel that way about everyone.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I mean, I feel like with some people things haven’t changed at all. I feel like I can tell you anything. And not just because I’m paying you to be my therapist.”

“Well, I’m glad to hear that at least,” she says with the smile of a dear friend. “It sounds like this might be more of that polarized thinking that has come up before. Are you able to pinpoint what the difference is between who you're comfortable talking with?"

“Uh… I guess… I already had that sense of comfort with you beforehand. I feel like I can trust that you give a shit about what I think because we've known each other for so long. Come to think of it…”

I pause as my mind tries to unravel the tangled mess in my head. There’s a few seconds of silence and Cherri patiently waits for the insight to present itself.

“…Maybe this should've been obvious, but I'm just realizing that I’m only really struggling with new people. People I don’t know well. I don’t know how they might react to what I say and I don’t want to take the risk anymore so I completely close up. But I don’t feel that way with my old, close friends. Hell, I don’t even feel that way about Leo, weirdly enough. I feel like I can tell him anything too.”

“And why do you think that is, with him of all people?”

“Because of… well… everything else.”
If you’d like to support me and my work, please feel free to leave me a tip and I will be so grateful! https://ko-fi.com/littlestlily

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:20 am

Chapter 3

Time continues to heal.

As another week passes and we reach the end of June, I spend more time earnestly job hunting, and while I know I could probably easily go back to my old job if I wanted to - especially in the wake of the fiasco with my old manager no longer working there - I'm not sure I would ever go back unless I get truly desperate. But I line up a couple of other interviews and it feels good to be productive.

I did get a Switch and am loving it. In general I try to do more things that are just for fun and provide a good distraction when I need it. I watch lots of movies from my childhood. I pick up the ukulele again. I start seeing my friends more - little things like going to the movies and restaurants and just hanging out at each other's places. Cherri is still the best support I could ever ask for.

I cry a lot. I still have moments where I wake up from horrific nightmares. Still have times where I spend hours stuck in bed. Still wonder if I'll ever be able to get over some of the shit I've been through. On those days sometimes all I can do is get to the next moment. Journaling, therapy, self care, it's all helpful, but sometimes the memories are so vivid and the misery is so deep that all I can do is wait and wonder how I'll ever feel happy again.

I do start talking to Leo more. Taking it easy, just the occasional text at first. But a week after we met up, we decide to do it again. A few days after that, we grab lunch during his break at work. It’s always in public, even though I don’t actually think that’s necessary - he knows where I live anyway, he knows that Cherri is aware of the shrinking device and would immediately know who to turn to if I ever went missing, and I honestly couldn’t see him ever doing something like that again. But it still feels right in our goal of taking things slow.

When we’re home, sometimes we chat remotely in the evening, and recently we’ve started playing co-op games on Steam together. Occasionally it’s puzzle games or something where we need to concentrate, but most of the time it’s something a lot more relaxed so that we can just chat.

“Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, Leo - your work review was coming up in June, right? Did that happen already?”

“Yeah! Good memory. I had it last week and it went well. Apparently I’m eligible for a promotion around the end of the year so… wish me luck!”

“Hey, that’s great! Would you still have the same team?”

“Yup, it’s more or less the same position but with a better title. And better pay so… no complaints here. How’s the job search going for you?”

“I’ve got another interview this week. I’m feeling pretty optimistic about my chances but it's with some of the higher ups this time so I’m sooo nervous...”

“Aww, I’m sorry that you’re stressed about it! I know it can be nerve-wracking but you have nothing to worry about.”

“Easy for you to say Mr. Naturally Charming. Not all of us are so extroverted.”

“You don’t need to be extroverted to ace an interview. And you’re able to manage your fears better than anyone I know, Lily. You can do this.”

“…Thanks, man. You too. The promotion, I mean. You got this.”

“Yeah! We got this!... Or not. I just died.”

“Ha, I saw that. It’s okay, it’s getting late anyway. You want to try again tomorrow?”

The weather gets hotter and Leo and I start meeting more frequently throughout July. I’m finding that I really, really like spending time with him. He’s just so fun. Always excited and interested in everything, I find it incredibly engaging. We never run out of things to talk about. We laugh a lot. I can tell that he’s really helping me come out of my shell, and I keep finding myself looking forward to seeing him. I shouldn't be surprised by this, I did really get to know him after all. But our bonding feels so much healthier now that we're on equal ground.

At one point he takes me out for a nicer dinner to celebrate me getting the new job - the job that’s conveniently very close to his neck of the woods. It’s nice to get back on my feet again and have a bit more structure in my day. I don’t immediately connect with my coworkers, but thankfully I already have a built-in lunch buddy who works close by.

There’s a little bit of sexual tension sometimes. I won't deny that part of what attracted me to him in the first place was his looks. Seeing every bit of him in excruciating detail was apparently not enough of a deterrent in my finding him handsome now. But I don’t want that to dictate anything, and outside of small moments when I absently take his hand or he hugs me a little extra long, things generally stay fairly light and casual between us and we mostly just enjoy the friendship.

We try not to shy away from the more serious stuff, though.

"You doing okay today?" Leo asks me one evening over voice chat. "You've been sounding a little down."

"Sorry. I'm okay, just distracted. I've been keeping an eye on the Nathan stuff and the upcoming trial."

"Yep, was wondering if that's what it was. I saw that article too.”

“Do you think we did the wrong thing by staying out of it? Even when the police knew I wasn't missing after all, I’m shocked that we never got found out, like… nothing from security cameras, or all that footage he got of me that was on his laptop…”

“Oh, I guess I didn’t mention it, his tech was hacked and the videos were wiped by the shrinking device people before the police could get to it. They gave me a couple of details about that when I met up with them in person.”

“Gotcha…”

“And I guess without meaning to I must have avoided the cameras in the building. Maybe one of them wasn't working or something.”

“Right. Still, do you think we should have come forward and said something?”

“I don’t know… I think you’ve been through enough. And from all the other evidence that's been coming out, the guy is totally fucked even without us denouncing him.” He sighs. “Though I might be making excuses. Selfishly, I’d still rather not have the authorities know about any of the shrinking stuff, so…”

“Yeah. Honestly, selfishly, I don’t want that either. Anyway. That’s what’s been bothering me.”

“Hang in there, little one. I’m sending you the biggest voice hug.”

“Thanks, big guy. Okay okay, let’s start the next level.”

New routines are beginning to form. I eventually start going to a yoga class with one of my coworkers on Tuesdays. Every other Thursday is therapy with Cheri, and we try to balance it out by hanging out just for fun on the alternating weeks. Saturdays are reserved for girls’ nights, and outside of us frequently getting lunch together during the week, Leo and I tend to meet up on Fridays or Sundays… sometimes both. There are plenty of options for us to meet in public - parks, bookstores, arcades, game shops, we run the gambit.

I try to be as unbiased as possible. I know I want to believe that my ex-captor is worth spending my time with. But I have to take things one step at a time. I want to be confident that he's changed for the better. I think this is how I find out.

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Chapter 4

“Nooooo!”

Leo glances down at me, sitting near him on the coffee table, as I cry out in frustration. He pauses his own game and slides off the couch to the floor so that he can lean over my tiny frame.

“Uh oh, you out of Pokeballs?” he guesses, glancing at his phone that he’d propped up on the table for me.

“Yes…” I growl, jabbing at the touch screen.

“What were you trying to catch?”

“Entei.”

“Ahhhh, that sucks! Since it’s an emulator, do you have a save state you can load?”

I’m quickly getting over my annoyance with the knowledge that this is just a video game, but I still shoot him a look, feigning shock. “No. That’s cheating.

Leo smiles and rolls his eyes. “Oh, right. How dare I suggest such a thing.”

He stays on the floor next to me as we both go back to our games, relaxing in tandem on this quiet Saturday night. I'm actually starting to feel a little bored with my selection of entertainment, but it's always risky voicing that kind of thing to a giant who has endless ideas of how to have fun with me. I notice an ad at the bottom of the phone screen that catches my attention.

As soon as I click on the banner and the Pokemon music goes quiet, two large digits quickly appear on either side of me, index and middle finger pinching me around the waist and sliding me backwards.

"Whatcha up to there, little mischief maker?" Leo asks, and he’s trying to keep his tone light but I notice the slightest bit of tension as he wonders if I'm trying to hijack his phone. I haven’t attempted anything like that in a long time.

I start wriggling to try to get out of his grip. “Nothing bad,” I assure him, “I just saw an ad for All Aboard. I was curious what specials they have for May.”

“An ad for what now?” He releases me and leans in to take a closer look at the screen.

“Oh my god, have you never been?” I walk back to the phone to look at the website’s homepage, finding and clicking on the section for their deals. “It's a restaurant, they make some of the best noodles I’ve ever had... Oh oh oh!!” I completely light up and practically start hopping in place. “Holy crap, they have the miso udon this month! That hasn’t been on the menu in like… over a year.” I turn to look up at the giant, my eyes wide with enthusiasm. “Leo, can we go? Please please please? The booths are really private and I’ll stay out of sight, I swear!”

His dark eyes flick down to where I’m standing near his arm, looking surprised and very entertained by the state of me. “Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this excited about anything before,” he says, laughing, “Let’s do it for takeout this week?”

“But they don’t do takeout,” I insist, walking up to his wrist and putting both hands on it as I stare up at him imploringly, “Most of the restaurant is conveyor belt sushi style so you have to dine in. But they have a couple of booths in the back where you can order like normal, away from all the action. I’ll be good, I promise.

Leo still looks amused, but a twinge of pity is starting to seep through too. “I’m sure you will, love. But even if we’re careful, bringing you out at a restaurant is just too risky.”

I don’t know what else to say so I hoist myself up onto the back of his hand that’s resting on the table and just kneel there, sitting on my heels with my hands folded in my lap and giving him the most pitiful, pleading look I can muster.

We have a little stare off until he finally sighs deeply. “Okay, that’s just not fair.” He gently puts a finger up to my chin, gaze softening, “How am I supposed to resist that face? Tell you what…” He pauses, pondering for a few seconds. “The business trip went well last week. If we keep you at half an inch it should be fine. Think you can still enjoy udon at half an inch tall?”

I consider this for a little bit, trying to decide if it’s worth it. But not only are the noodles really that amazing… these days I tend to look forward to any excuse to get out of the apartment. Even if that means I have to be extra tiny. “Okay, okay, fine. Deal,” I agree.

With that, a couple of days later I find myself sitting in a shirt pocket, smaller than a honeybee, waiting excitedly as we enter one of my favorite restaurants. I can’t see a thing from in here so I just listen to cues and feel out Leo’s movements to try to keep track of where we are. Once I can tell that he’s sitting down I scramble to my feet as, sure enough, mammoth fingers slip into the space to fish me out.

I look around as the giant deposits me onto the table, assessing the incredibly vast, vaguely familiar space. The table alone can be measured in acres. It’s been so long since I’ve visited a restaurant and it’s sensory overload for a moment as I take everything in. I’ve been looking forward to this excursion and have even come prepared - I spent part of yesterday crafting some tools out of food-safe clay for my smaller self today.

It was kind of fun actually, making a bowl and knife and whatnot for a doll-sized person when I was already only three inches tall. I even made myself a little bag to carry everything in with one of the dollhouse’s washcloths. Leo just about lost his mind when I showed it all to him, he thought the exceedingly tiny utensils were just the cutest thing.

“You were right about the booths being pretty private,” he says now, watching me walk around the surface of the table with a grin, “Didn't think we'd actually be able to talk, but no one else is back here…”

“But you put the earpiece in, yeah?” I ask him without raising my voice. There’s still quite a bit of ambient noise that is honestly a little intense for me, from the commotion in the nearby kitchens to the various voices drifting in from the other side of the restaurant. But thankfully he nods.

“Yup. I can hear you no problem, little one.”

Foregoing the menu, he reaches for the promotional triangle display in the center of the table, and each side of it is more like a billboard to me, complete with obnoxious ads. One of the colorful sides is showing off the monthly specials.

"Is this the udon of legends?" Leo mutters, "After all that buildup I'm excited to try it."

Knowing my expressions aren't as easy to see right now, I cross my arms and tilt my hips dramatically. "Who says I'm gonna share?"

I pull his attention away from the display as he laughs at this. He slides a hand over to me, hovering the pad of his index finger over my small frame menacingly. "Cheeky little bug."

I do flinch involuntarily at the sight of his truck-like fingertip, but even though I'm nervous I also know that I'm safe. And sure enough, when he does touch his finger down beside me, he gives me little more than a playful nudge… which still almost knocks me over.

"Is the sushi here any good?" Leo asks casually as he keeps poking me while I try pushing back against the wall of his fingertip.

Giving up on any attempts to wrestle against his gentle yet overwhelming touch, I skitter away from him instead and he doesn't give chase. A little out of breath, I respond, "Yeah, it's all pretty good too. They have a decent selection of vegetarian options so–"

His next movement is sudden enough that he makes me yelp. His entire massive hand quickly shifts towards me, sliding overhead until it feels like I'm in a parking garage with a moving ceiling. I realize why he's covering me up a second later.

"Hi, how are you doing tonight?"

Somehow I hadn't noticed the server heading our way. She's talking way louder than Leo had just been, not realizing there's someone with very small ears in the vicinity. I cower in the dim light for a second as I adjust to the volume of normal speech for these giants.

"I'm doing great," Leo responds jovially.

"Good! Are we waiting for anyone else or..?"

"Nope, just me."

"Aww. Well let me know if you need any company, hon."

After a moment of shock at how forward and rather inappropriate she's being, I can't help but giggle at this. It's Sofia all over again. How often is this going to happen, where someone tries to hit on him without realizing they have an audience?

I notice the cave of the giant hand twitch around me at the sound of my laughter. I sometimes forget when he's not talking to me that he can still hear everything I'm saying through the earpiece. I stifle my voice and keep quiet.

The server introduces herself as Chelsea and asks Leo how his week is going. The ensuing conversation drags for several minutes, him briefly mentioning what he does for a living and her going on about how she got this job and where she used to work before. At one point I sigh and lay down on my back, staring up at the lines of Leo’s palm above me as I wait for the conversation to ebb. Eventually they start talking about the menu.

“Do you want to hear about the specials? I highly, highly recommend the miso udon, we’re so excited to have it back for this month.”

“That’s actually the whole reason I’m here, to try it out. All the more reason if you recommend it so highly.”

I do a huge eye roll and decide to mess with him. “Smooth, Casanova," I say out loud, "Didn't realize I'd be third wheeling it today.”

His hand jerks again as the server gives him the rundown on the specials anyway, and surreptitiously he moves his ring finger inwards, towards me, in reaction to my comment. I know I’m not loud enough to be heard by anyone else, but I assume my voice in his ear is irritating and this is how he's telling me to stop.

I get to my feet and scramble away from his finger as I laugh and talk a little louder, competing with Chelsea's speech, “No really, you're doing great! I'm sure you'll be able to get her number in no time. And hey, maybe we'll get around to eating sometime next month!”

"I… um…" he stutters. Sounds like I've actually managed to distract him enough to make him stumble over his words. "Sorry, I spaced out for a second, what did you just say?"

"I asked if you knew what you wanted to order now?” Chelsea repeats, clearly a bit confused and speaking slower this time.

"Right. You know, I was planning to get that udon. But hearing about all those other specials, I’m starting to hesitate…"

Feeling targeted, I quickly pipe up, "Okay, sorry, I'll shut up!"

He does eventually order what we came here for and then she finally leaves to go grab his drink. Leo waits for a moment before peeling the side of his hand up so he can peer under it at me while still keeping me hidden. He leans his face closer, and he looks a little stressed out, but I can tell he thinks the whole thing was kind of funny too.

You…” he says in an impassioned whisper, “are just asking to go for a swim when the food gets here.”

“I know, I know. That was obnoxious.” I'm trying to sound apologetic but still have the giggles over my success in derailing him. I don’t have very many power moves at my disposal so I’m reveling in it now. “I couldn't help it,” I add, beaming, “I was just so jealous.

He can’t help laughing now either as he shakes his head at me, “What am I going to do with you?”

He covers me up again as our server returns with a cup of water, and I give him a break and go back to staying quiet.

As I hear Chelsea retreating once more, it occurs to me that I could have very easily slipped out from under Leo's hand while he was distracted talking to her. I know I'm really small right now and odds are that even if she saw me she probably would have just thought I was a bug or something. But she was close enough that… maybe not. It hadn't even occurred to me to try. It's a sobering realization - I’ve gotten so used to the feeling that there’s no point anymore in trying to escape. Even now as I berate myself and tell myself I should be taking this more seriously, a part of me knows that I’m not getting my freedom back tonight. And if that's the case… I might as well let myself enjoy something, as I so rarely do.

Leo uncovers me completely as we wait for our order, giving me free reign of the table, and we resume more normal, relaxed conversation. I tell him about how I first found this place and then we have a fun discussion around what we would do if we opened our own restaurant, letting our imaginations go wild.

I’m so hungry by the time the food gets here that I’m actually happy (though still intimidated) when the hand-roof zooms back my way to briefly keep me out of sight. And then like a magic trick, when Leo reveals the view of the table again, there’s a cathedral-sized bowl of noodles that has appeared. My mouth is watering as I catch the scent of it.

The giant uses one of the nearby ceramic spoons to scoop up some soup for me, though the actual udon is going to be a bit more tricky. “I'm going to try and cut some of this as small as I can,” he says, “but it still might be a little big for you…”

“That's alright, we'll see how well my knife works. Plus the broth is the best part anyway.”

When he puts the spoon down next to me we realize that I’m actually too small to reach into it. Honestly at this point, it would probably be easier to just grow me a little bigger... But Leo gets a kick out of challenges like this and has the idea of stacking a couple of coins up next to the spoon as makeshift stair steps to boost me up. It works well enough and I can finally look over the lip of the spoon at the meal I’ve been so excited about.

The scoop is like a large pond to me, and the tiny pieces of udon inside are more like koi fish than anything reminiscent of a noodle shape. I fill my clay bowl and reach for the nearest udon slab so I can cut myself even smaller pieces of it.

There’s a gust of wind overhead that makes me look up, but it’s just the giant letting out a sigh as he props his chin against his hand while he watches me. “I'm never going to get over seeing you like this,” he mutters with a wistful smile, “Sooo tiny and adorable.”

That first bite, despite the textures being different at this size, is nothing short of heavenly. I’m happy to see that Leo also thinks the food is excellent, even though I'd been really hyping it up. We chat and fill our stomachs and I find myself wishing that we could do this sort of thing more often.

But fate still has one last caper planned for us today. It was so dumb, so avoidable. But when I climb back up to the edge of the spoon for seconds, instead of asking for help like I probably should have, I stretch my arm out for the closest piece of noodle and reach just a little too far…

Sploosh. I lose my balance and plop right inside the thankfully cooled-down broth. I’m completely disoriented for a second, keeping my eyes squeezed shut but thrashing fervently. The soup is pretty deep, and I have a moment of panic as I try to swim back up and am blocked by one of the larger pieces of noodle. Since the warm liquid’s so salty I’d be floating very easily if it wasn’t for this cursed piece of udon keeping me trapped and holy shit am I actually going to drown in here–

Everything shakes as if I was swept up by the tide, and before I realize what’s happening I’m sucking in air again, tumbling out onto a fleshy beach as the liquid rushes away from me in every direction. Leo’s just dumped the spoonful of soup right onto his open palm and from the vertigo I can sense that he’s lifting me upwards. I’m wiping away the broth from my face, taking deep breaths, a little shaken by what just happened. I notice the giant is chuckling at my plight.

“You okay, love?” he says with a little smirk as he uses a finger to push bits of food away from where I’m laying in his hand. “You can’t even blame me for that one.”

“I can blame you for making me this stupidly puny,” I grumble, sitting up and trying to brush some of the soup off my arms.

“Hey, you agreed to it.” Leo’s tearing off a tiny piece of napkin with his other hand and he wipes it against his water cup to soak up the condensation before offering it to me. He’s trying to contain his laughter. “This is totally karma for you making me short circuit earlier.”

I’m starting to laugh now too as I gratefully accept the wet towel. “Worth it.”

*~*~*

“Say aaaah…”

I absently open my mouth as I gaze off towards the back of the restaurant, accepting the piece of sushi that’s coming my way.

“Yo, stop, I was kidding. Unless you want a mouthful of wasabi?”

Suddenly realizing that it wasn’t sushi in front of me but just a giant mound of green, I snap my mouth shut again. Leo looks amused as he pulls his chopsticks back.

“Someone's deep in thought,” he observes.

“I was remembering the udon incident,” I say, feeling laughter bubbling up in my chest at the memory.

“Wait, was that here?” And he’s suddenly looking around amongst the many patrons surrounding us.

“Yeah, don't you remember? Right back there.” I nod towards the booths in the distance.

“Oh yeah. Huh, somehow I completely forgot that it was at a sushi place.” He turns back towards me with a wide smile and a nostalgic glint in his eye. “That was a fun day.”

“Yeah..." I glance down at a piece of cucumber on my plate. I'd guess it's about half an inch long. "Yeah, it really was.”

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Chapter 5

I take a step back from the climbing wall as I crane my neck to try and keep an eye on Leo’s progress. Sure enough I see his hand reach the 30-foot marker and then he looks down my way with an excited grin. I beam right back at him.

“You’re a natural!” I yell up.

He takes a moment to enjoy the view, scanning the rest of the climbing gym around us. I feel appreciative that he took an interest in joining me this time. It was such a spur of the moment thing, we were literally just talking about rock climbing over dinner last night and now here we are the next morning.

I’ve been back here a few times since my return to the world. It definitely feels very different now. Compared to what I’ve been through, all of these heights seem rather tame. Not to mention the convenient artificial handholds, all spaced appropriately for anyone to be able to make their way up with enough practice. The climbers around me have no idea how easy they have it.

Once Leo’s ready to come down again, I coach him through the descent - and thankfully this isn’t my first time belaying since he’s quite a bit heavier than I am. If he had fallen off during the climb I definitely would have gone for a ride. But I’m experienced enough as a smaller climber that it’s already happened to me a couple of times, so I wasn’t worried about it. In any case, no falls yet, and he touches down without issue. I let go of the brake rope, extending my arm out to meet him in a high five.

“Not bad for your first climb,” I commend as I hand him a water bottle.

“Thanks!” he says for both the compliment and the water. “I can see the appeal, that was fun.”

“Want to try a higher marker?”

“Sure! You want to take a turn first?”

“Okay, that way you can try out belaying.”

We move to a different rope and I help him with setting up the equipment. We had him take the quick test when he got here so that he’d be allowed to belay, but he’s new enough at this that I walk him through it again to be safe. His certification is only for top rope so I won’t get to show off by climbing up the more advanced walls - it’ll just be a straight shot up. But I can still show off a little bit...

“Don’t forget, never let go of this,” I say, taking Leo’s anchor hand that’s holding the brake rope and giving it a squeeze.

“Aye aye, cap’n.”

“And here, take a step back – if I fall it’s easier for you to step forward than it is to jump.”

“Got it.” He follows my order dutifully and then gives me a sly smile as he lowers his voice. “You know I’ll always catch you, little one.”

I smirk right back. “And you know I won’t need you to.”

Turning back to the wall, I start making my way up. It's a little reckless, but I move needlessly fast, flowing from one hold to the next, scaling the wall at record speed and making it look effortless. There's a petty side of me that wants to impress him. And there's another part of me that also hopes he's um… enjoying the view.

In under half a minute I've made it to the top of the 50-foot wall. I let go with one hand so that I can swing out and look down below, flashing an uncharacteristic cocky grin.

"Damn, girl!" Leo’s giving me the biggest smile, clearly glowing with pride for me.

It's an odd feeling, seeing him look so small from up here. Though I’m aware that I look the same to him and I'm sure he's getting a kick out of it.

"You got up there sooo fast!" he yells.

"It's because you're so… rappel-ent!" I call back down and then I wince at my own terrible pun.

"Whaaat?"

Okay good, he didn’t hear it. I give a dismissive wave and instead call down a little louder, “I’m ready to lower!”

He takes a second to remember what he’s supposed to do, both of his hands moving to the brake rope. “Okay,” he calls up, “Lowering!”

At this point I've seen that a few people took notice of us, and by the time I've floated down a small crowd of six or seven other climbers has formed. I guess Leo wasn't the only one I'd impressed, and he's not the only one offering me high fives.

"Hey, I remember seeing you here back in March," says one of the guys, who I vaguely recognize as someone who works here. "How did you get that good so fast?"

I'm blushing at this point from being in the spotlight and shrug awkwardly. "Lots of practice I guess."

Leo and I share a secret smile.

The crowd dissipates and my climbing partner steps forward to put his hand on top of my helmet and gives it a little shake, a gesture akin to ruffling my hair. He clearly enjoyed me getting all that attention far more than I did. "That's my girl. Though you're a tough act to follow up now!"

"Don't worry, you're still better than all the other beginners here," I assure him.

"Right, the literal children."

"Details."

I start helping him with the belay equipment so that we can switch positions and give him another turn. I'm rather enjoying the excuse to be so close to him…

"Real talk," he says quietly, so quiet that I wouldn't have heard if I wasn't inches away. I look up and see the light in his eyes has dimmed somewhat. "I'm feeling guilty about why you got so good at this."

This still happens from time to time. We're uncovering another scar. I maintain his gaze as I set him free from the rope, and I try to give him a reassuring smile. "Don't overthink this one, Leo. I've always enjoyed rock climbing."

"Okay…" he says with a sigh and then suddenly perks up again as he adds, "Oh yeah, what were you saying when you got up there?"

"Uhh, it's not important," I say evasively as I turn around to grab the chalk bag, cringing again at my lame joke from earlier.

“Hey, come on…" His hand is on my arm to gently encourage me to look back at him. His tone is light but the way he's looking me in the eye so earnestly takes me aback. "I want to hear what you have to say."

I stare at him, for a moment dumbstruck. What I'd said really wasn't important. But the words he chooses in this moment, this little bit of attentiveness outside of any spotlight, is more significant for me than he could ever know.

*~*~*

In early August, as the summer heat begins to wane, Leo and I decide to go back to an ice cream shop that we had originally planned to visit all throughout the summer but in the end we only went once before everything came to a head. It’s a bizarre feeling entering the narrow shop, someplace that I’ve only ever seen when I was three inches tall. I was never really someone who’s easily claustrophobic, but that changed a little bit after I’d gotten used to such wide open spaces.

I love how wild the flavors are here. I pick out buttered popcorn and Leo tries jalapeno cheesecake. The bonus to there being two full-sized people here is that we get to try each other’s. He thinks both are great, though I’m a little less sure about his spicy one. We enjoy the treat while sitting at a small table outside in some shade.

“You know, I was really interested in starting a D&D game with you,” I say at one point, motioning towards the game shop that’s next door.

“It’s not too late,” he responds and I catch an excited spark in his eye.

“I never did finish setting up a character… Maybe I’ll get on that. Would you still want to do it one-on-one? Or would it actually be better as a group thing?”

“Either way would work,” says Leo and his voice falters a little.

I turn to watch his expression, trying to read him as he works something out in his brain. I wonder if it’s something I’d said and realize that by saying "group" I might have been implying that I’m wanting to meet his friends. Which I’m totally open to doing one day, but could that be an issue for some reason?

“Actually, there’s something I’ve been wondering about,” he says slowly. “It’s okay if you’d rather not talk about it, though.”

“What’s that?” I ask.

“I guess I’m curious… How many people know? Other than Cherri?”

Ah. It wasn’t his friends he was thinking about - it was mine.

“Not many,” I try to assure him. “Cherri’s so involved that she ended up sharing it with her boyfriend. I told her it was fine, though I’ve never talked about it with him myself. And then we told Rachel and Saya, we’re so close with them too and it felt weird leaving them out of it. It took a bit of convincing to get them to believe it, but they came around pretty quickly. I might have told my sister if she didn’t have to cancel her trip here, but I still haven’t yet, it's already weird enough talking about it in person… So what is that, three extra people?”

Leo nods, and he does seem a bit relieved. But he also looks a little sad.

I continue trying to comfort him. “Please don’t worry about them spreading the word about it. I’m really confident that’s not going to happen.”

“No, it’s not that,” he says grimly, “There's just so much I regret. I loved our time together when you were living with me. I hope that’s not bad to say… I really did. But I love the time we’re spending together these days too. I just wish I’d done this to begin with. I wish I could meet your other friends. But I can imagine that’s probably not going to happen.”

“Why not?” I ask, though immediately I feel dumb for saying so. “Well. Okay I guess I know why not.”

Leo tries to smile. “I’m assuming no one’s a big fan of the fact that you’re regularly meeting up with your ex-kidnapper. Do they even know we see each other like this?”

“Yeah, they do. To be fair, only Cherri knows most of the details. The others know you originally shrunk me, but I didn’t really get into the nitty gritty. I think they’re slightly more convinced that you can’t be so bad since you not only rescued me from a much worse situation but then you let me go in the end…"

I notice a small bit of ice cream on his cheek and lift a napkin up to wipe it off. Returning the favor from a couple of months ago. I regard him for a moment before I continue.

“It is… so weird to me, man. It’s like I’ve known two different people. I know you didn’t just suddenly see the light overnight, but it’s still so hard for me to put together that you’re the same person from the beginning of all this.”

He leans an elbow on the table to rest a hand on his brow, covering his gaze for a moment. “So stupid…” he mutters, “Sometimes I can’t really believe it either. And yet. Even now I can still understand why I did it. Even now that dream is just so stupidly appealing. I would never,” he adds quickly, dropping his hand to make intense eye contact with me, “Never again. I promise.”

“I know. I trust you.” I really do.

"It’s just hard not to hate myself over it.”

Yeah, this guy needs therapy. I take his hand in both of mine and stare at it. Use a finger to make little circles around one of his knuckles. I think hard about the next words that are about to come out of my mouth… I want to make sure that they’re genuine.

“I don't know if you need to hear this,” I finally say softly, looking back into his eyes. “But I forgive you.”

He stares at me for a good while, becoming a bit misty eyed. I can see some of the invisible weight that's been heavy on his shoulders begin to dissipate. He leans in, not in a particularly romantic way but with so much care all the same, closing his eyes as he touches his forehead to mine. My breath hitches at the feel of how close he is and I squeeze his hand a little harder as he whispers to me.

“Thanks, Lily.”

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 pm

Chapter 6

I'm sitting in a dark, dreamless sleep. My body feels heavy and aching. This doesn't feel quite right, something's a little off, but I'm just too tired to care…

"Oh Liiiily." A soft, distant sing-song voice begins rousing me. "Wake up, honey."

I groan, slowly coming to but keeping my eyes firmly shut. I feel what I know is a giant finger rubbing against my back.

"Come on, sleepyhead. There's no way that's comfortable."

He's right - now that I'm more aware, I'm feeling a crick in my neck. With another garbled grunt I shift in place and force my eyes to open. I slowly gather that I fell asleep while reading a book that's propped up, my body slumped forward with my cheek leaning against the papery wall. I pull my face back, leaving behind a tiny dot of drool on the page, and I wince as I stretch my neck.

Still sleepy, I slowly lean backwards instead so that I end up sprawled out on my back on the desk. Leo enters my field of vision, leaning over me to smile from above. "Hey, cutie."

I smile back, tracing the outline of his face with my eyes as if I was cloud gazing. "What time is it?" I yawn, "How long you been home?"

"It's about 5:30, I just got back and found you conked out. You alright? I don't take you for much of a napper."

"I nap sometimes," I say as I stretch, and then I reach one arm up towards him. "Mind giving me a hand?"

Leo happily indulges me, reaching a forefinger down for me to grab onto and helping me to my feet. I don't let go of the digit right away, propping an elbow on it so I can lean some of my weight against him.

"How was your day?" I ask, still a bit groggy.

"Not bad," he says softly as he sits down at the desk chair, clearly enjoying how touchy I'm being at the moment since it's a little unlike me. "Productive. Which is good since I had a lot to get done after being out sick."

"Nice. Good job." I'm stifling another yawn.

The giant watches me for a couple more seconds, before adding hesitantly, "So… I had another idea on how you could help me in the kitchen today. But if you're too tired…"

"No, no, let me come with. It'll help wake me up." I walk alongside his outstretched finger to go lean up against his palm instead, and he reacts by scooping me up into his hand as his face lights up.

"Okay, great! Then let's go, my little sous-chef."

The task in question is de-stemming herbs, specifically picking tiny leaves of thyme off from its stalk. The fragrance of it is a little strong but it does wake me up and there's something satisfying about how thoroughly I'm able to clean up the stems at this height.

While we work we start out talking about Leo's day at the office, and then we switch to a discussion about healthy eating and some tweaks we could make to our diet. The idea of having a mutual goal like that is odd - I can feel the effects of spending so many weeks in this… arrangement. Household? Whatever we are.

By the time dinner's ready and I'm brought to the dining table, I'm still a little fatigued and I've started feeling a more insistent ache in my body. I do some mental math and have a suspicion about why I'm feeling off. I try to ignore it for now and whenever Leo asks me if I’m okay I wave him off.

We pivot into nerdier conversations while we eat, debating which Zelda game is the best of all time, and by the end of it we agree that we should replay them all, together, so that we can make a more informed decision. Which would admittedly take forever… Another mutual goal.

By the end of the meal I'm feeling heavy from the aching, and a sudden dull pain in my lower abdomen makes me curl in on myself. I'm quiet about it but Leo notices anyway, stopping in the midst of clearing the dishes off the table so that he can crouch down next to me, his dark eyes observing me intently.

"What's wrong, little one? You really don't look so good today."

"I'll be fine," I say, trying to wave him off again.

"You don't feel sick, do you? I really could have sworn that was just a migraine yesterday, but if you're not feeling well now…"

The wave of pain has passed and I uncurl myself, arguing internally over whether I should share. I'm curious if Leo is the type of guy to get uncomfortable with this sort of thing.

"I have a question for you," I say, deciding that if I’m going to admit it I might as well have a bit of fun. "Do you know of everything that came with the dollhouse?"

The giant looks understandably confused. "Uhh… I mean yeah, I've seen an inventory sheet, though it's been a while. Are you missing anything?"

I shake my head and take the plunge. "I was just curious if you were aware that it came with the world’s tiniest tampons."

Gears are turning in his head until they finally click into place.

"Oh… Ohhh! Lily, why didn't you say something? Does it hurt?"

Turns out that, maybe because he has a sister, he's not bothered by this stuff after all. That’s actually a relief.

"A little. It hasn't technically started yet, I'm just PMSing. I don't normally get terrible cramps, this month's feeling a little worse than usual I guess…"

Leo's touch is particularly gentle as he cups his hand around me, putting the slightest pressure against my back. I debate as I always do about if I should pull away from his advances, but I'm too tired. I lean back against him gratefully.

"Does anything in particular help?" he soothes. "I know everyone's different… A hot bath maybe?"

"Actually… yeah, that sounds really nice. Herbal teas can help too. I usually do some kind of ginger-honey thing."

"You got it, love. I'll pick some up at the store tomorrow."

I nod and let my eyes drop to a half gaze. Even just the warmth of his skin on my lower back feels nice. Leo begins slowly rotating at the wrist, tilting his hand back so that I can lie down on his palm. I glance up at him and he looks very concentrated as he lifts me up off the table, moving as if in slow motion. My legs are dangling off and he slips his other hand underneath to support my lower half too. I don’t think he’s ever been quite this careful with me.

“I’m not suddenly made of paper,” I laugh, pushing myself up to a sitting position.

Leo chuckles in tandem. “Would you rather I toss you around?” But he relaxes a little as he brings me in to softly brush his lips against the side of my head. I let him.

He carries me to the bathroom and begins gathering soaps, washcloths, and the small bowl we typically use as my bathtub. I sit there on the counter with my knees pulled into my chest, fighting off another wave of dull pain. Before he turns on the water, the giant gives me a pointed look.

"If I'm going to set up a bath for you, I want to make sure you don’t fall asleep in it.”

"I won't. I'm tired but I'm not sleepy right now." I lift my head, trying to show him that I’m feeling alert enough.

“You suuuure you don't need supervision?” He shoots me a cocky grin and I roll my eyes.

“I'm sure, Leo.”

Once the water’s hot the tub fills up in about two seconds and he sets it down next to me. “One last question, love. Milk or dark?”

“Mmm… surprise me.” I give him an appreciative smile.

And he does. When he drops me off on the balcony later and I walk into my bedroom, I do see the shards of dark chocolate that he left for me on the table in the corner. But he’s also left a bundle of flowers, as big as sunflowers to me even though they’re just tiny white daisies. I realize he must have gone downstairs while I was bathing to pick these out in the dark. That night I go to sleep with blush on my cheeks and butterflies in my stomach.

*~*~*

That was the last time I'd seen daisies until right now, sitting by the pond on this sunny day at the park. The patch of flowers looks so little to me now. I smile at the fond memory.

Leo shows up a minute later, his hair looking golden in the sunlight, and I stand up to give him a hug. He has a rather intent look on his face and when he wraps his arm around me he holds me a lot closer and tighter than I was expecting.

I sort of have an idea of what this is about. Today was a bit of an occasion - he had his first therapy session with Cherri. I’d finally talked to her about it after that day at the ice cream shop. I wasn't sure if she would agree to it, but she was actually quite eager, and they ended up meeting for over two hours.

"I'm so… so sorry," Leo whispers as he holds me.

"About what?"

"Everything."

"Uh oh," I say, trying to extricate myself from his embrace so I can give him a smile, "Did she take the opportunity to berate you the whole time?"

"No. Not at all," Leo responds with a sigh. "She just asked the right questions."

"Hey," I say, looking up at him earnestly. "I told you. I forgive you."

"I know, I just… it's weird, it's not like I was given any new information today. But talking through it with her just put a lot of stuff into perspective. Know what I mean?"

“Yeah… That's therapy for ya,” I say with a small laugh before I go serious again. "But you know, the point wasn't to make you feel worse…”

He shakes his head and for a moment I see a fire in his eyes, a look of incredible determination. “I can't really work through something until I acknowledge it first, right?” His gaze softens again as he sighs. “And I have a feeling there's a lot I need to work through.”

I take his hand in both of mine, give it a squeeze. “You got this. I support you.”

He smiles and pulls me into another hug that we hold for half a minute. Then we finally sit down on the picnic blanket I had set up, enjoying the summer breeze.

“It is pretty weird that my bff is also both of our therapists now,” I say, continuing the conversation while also trying to lighten the mood.

“Yeah, I agree,” Leo says, “We talked more casually at the beginning and end, and I wish I could actually get to know her. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it'd be… I can tell she's protective of you, which is a good thing, but I thought she'd hate my guts more. Maybe she's just really good at hiding it.”

“Take the shrinking saga out of it and I'm sure you two would have really gotten along… Actually, you know what - I think you would really like her boyfriend, he's a hardcore D&D player.” I contemplate this for a bit longer before adding, “Would you be okay if I try to set something up? They’ve been talking about wanting to check out this new mini golf place, we should all go.”

“If you think they'd be okay with it then yeah, I’m totally down. I suck at golfing though.”

“Don’t worry, so do the rest of us, you’ll fit right in. Okay, I'll talk to her about it later! And make sure she doesn't hate your guts while I'm at it.”

It’s only now that I’m realizing that what I’m suggesting could be seen as a double date. I let that hang in the air for a little bit, trying to figure out how it makes me feel. Then again, plenty of these meetups feel like they could be considered dates. Are we on a date right now?

Leo interrupts my thoughts with his own quiet musing. “I’ve actually been meaning to ask... Would you be okay if I set up something similar with some of my friends?”

I perk up at this. “Definitely! It’s long overdue that I meet them. Gotta confirm that they’re not imaginary after all.”

He grins and we start discussing what kinds of group outings might be fun. It's been gradual, but slowly we’ve started to trickle more and more of ourselves into each other’s lives. Like tiny streams formed by a rainstorm, flowing down towards something greater. And I’m finding that, sitting here like this with him now, I just feel so… content.

As we chat the afternoon away, I keep glancing towards his shirt pocket with a secret smile. Poking out of it is a small white daisy that I snuck into place while we were hugging. Just a little token for him to find later.

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Chapter 7

Work is going pretty well. At least I haven’t completely forgotten how to code, and although I am only one of two women on the team, the other one is my boss. She is so incredibly sweet, to the point that I wonder how she’s made it to manager level without people just walking all over her in this male-dominated space. But after Nathan that’s exactly what I’m needing. It’s like the universe is trying to make up for my ex-boss. To be completely honest, I still don’t feel like I’m pursuing my calling with this career. But at least I’m able to pay rent again. Plus Leo’s office is only a five minute drive from mine.

It’s mid August when I go out with my girlfriends to celebrate Saya’s birthday. She desperately wanted to do a room escape, which I’ve always liked the idea of but had never actually done, and we honestly have such a blast. The whole evening is an amazing high for me, one of the happiest I’ve been in such a long time.

We do a sleepover and it turns into a bit of a girls’ weekend. Over brunch everyone starts asking me if Leo and I are official yet. I've now reached the point where I've spent more time getting to know him after being restored to full size than I did while tiny. I wave off their question, although I do find myself happy that the idea of it can be talked about in such a lighthearted manner. Maybe it's the mimosas, but when I mention wanting to potentially bring him to a big group thing, they're all supportive - in that "yes, we like him if you like him but if he ever fucks with you again we will destroy him" kind of way.

The following week is particularly busy with work and I realize I haven't seen Leo in several days at this point, just a couple of messages here and there. We're texting one evening when I feel a new urge. I call Cherri to get her opinion on the matter, and also to just give her a head's up as I'd promised I would if I ever got to this point. And then I text him.

"Hey. Work has been crazy so I don't think I'll have time for lunch this week :/ Buuut would you want to come over on Friday?"

"I'd love to!! Do you mind if I use your kitchen a little bit?"

"Ooo sure! What are you making?"

"You'll see :)"

There. I think I'm ready. Seeing each other in public has felt more like a formality at this point. I've been trusting him for a long while now... I think he's earned it.

*~*~*

I'm actually a little nervous when he shows up at my place, though it's the good kind of nervous.

It's another one of those bizarre moments - he's been to my apartment before. He's been here with me. But that's when I was small. Seeing him enter my space now feels very different.

Leo quickly reveals what he wanted to use the kitchen for - he brought a pizza stone, homemade sauce and dough, and a bunch of toppings so we can cook together. I love it. Hanging out in the kitchen was something we had started really enjoying when we lived together, and now I'm actually capable of helping out a little more.

I start talking a lot about a new book I've been reading and think he might enjoy since it's sci fi. We make plans to finally start playing Mass Effect together - he takes the opportunity to invite me to his place a few weekends from now and I accept. Which will be yet another bizarre moment, going back to his place, where I'd lived for a while at a much different scale.

"Do you…" I suddenly ask him, "...still have it?"

He's just prepped some dough for me to put toppings on and is now flouring the next batch for his own pizza. He glances over at me with a raised eyebrow. "You're going to have to be a lot more specific."

"You know what," I respond insistently, feeling embarrassed for some reason.

"Uhhh… I’m pretty sure I returned your copy of The Hobbit?"

I laugh and finally just say it. "The shrinking device."

"...Oh." Leo's legitimately surprised by my question and then he looks off to the side sheepishly. "Um. Yeah. It's in the back of a drawer. Is that bad? I really can just break the thing at any point. I don't plan on ever using it again, on anyone."

I shake my head vaguely. After a moment of quiet I say, "That was pretty stupid of me to give it back, wasn't it."

"Well… objectively, I suppose that might not have been your smartest moment? It meant a lot to me though." He pauses. It's actually pretty weird that we'd never brought this up again, just kept such a significant piece of machinery like a memento. He asks something that might have been in the back of his mind for a long time. "Was it just for… sentimental reasons?"

"Something like that," I respond. "I was in a weird place at that point."

"I can imagine," he mumbles.

I spread tomato sauce around my little circle of dough with the back of a spoon, watching the colors swirl. "You sure you're okay never using it again?” I ask nervously.

Unperturbed, Leo turns to me and boops my nose with a flour-covered finger, making me recoil as I glare at him with mock annoyance while struggling not to laugh. “Yup,” he answers with a little grin before returning to his own workstation, “Not a problem.”

I wipe the flour off my face with the back of my wrist before snatching up the bag of cheese that’s on his side of the counter. “You’re still into the whole fantasy though, right?” I press.

“Well, yeah,” he concedes, pushing his thumbs into the outside of the dough to form the crust. “But the vast majority of people who have the fetish never get access to a shrink ray and they get on just fine. As I’m sure you’re aware, I have a very active imagination that I can rely on.” He glances my way before his tone gets a little bit more serious. “I can keep those kinds of thoughts to myself though. Since my guess is a lot of that stuff might make you uncomfortable now?”

“Nah, I don’t mind. Or at least in theory I don’t. I promise to let you know if I get uncomfortable.”

“Okay, good.”

I finish putting the toppings on my pizza so I just observe Leo for a little bit, and he walks me through what he's doing, picking up the dough and using his knuckles to stretch and form it. I enjoy watching his hands work and having his warm presence in the kitchen. It's nostalgic.

As we chat I find myself scanning the counter and mentally noting that the bag of cheese looks like a comfy place to sit on with a good view of the workstation… if I was the right size for it. These kinds of thoughts pop into my head all the time. I wonder absently if I should voice stuff like this or if that would be bad somehow. But I miss my chance anyway since Leo finishes topping his pizza a lot faster than I did, and now he's bending down to open the oven.

He starts tidying up and I kneel down on the floor so that I can turn the oven light on and peer inside at the baking process. From this position I gaze back up at Leo, who's now towering over me. I tug at the bottom of his shorts to get his attention, smiling up at him.

"Oh, hi, down there!" he says cheerfully, clearly enjoying the sight of me as he wipes off the counter. "See, now you're just teasing me."

I go ahead and admit it. "Believe it or not. I think about it pretty often and I... kinda miss it sometimes."

"Aww." He gently touches the top of my head from his standing position. "I'm glad to know it wasn't all bad."

"That's not an invitation," I quickly add.

He laughs. "I know, I know. I swear I can resist that temptation. Though I’m not sure I can resist this one…" He pauses with his hand still on me, tilting his head to the side, regarding me for a second. I give him my best puppy dog eyes, eliciting more laughter. "You're sooo cuuute!"

And he crouches down next to me on the floor, his hand sliding down my back as he wraps his arms into a hug around me. I nestle into him with a small, contented sound. We stay this way for a good thirty seconds.

"For general peace of mind though," he says as he pulls away, "The more I think on it, I really do think you should be the one to hold on to the device if we're going to keep it. As much as I appreciate the sentiment."

I try to think if this would actually make me feel better. Honestly I trust him enough that I just feel neutral about it. I can see how it might be less of a burden on him, though.

"Sure. I'll pick it up when I come over."

“That works. Okay, these’ll actually be ready pretty fast, I’ll finish cleaning up real quick.”

“Oh, hey!” I say enthusiastically as he helps raise me to standing, “There's something I really want to start watching with you! You’ve still never seen Avatar, right?”

“With the blue people? I have.”

“No, no, The Last Airbender. The show.”

“Oh yeah, that’s a big favorite of yours, right? Let’s do it, educate me.”

*~*~*

We settle in for a cozy evening with one of my main comfort shows that I’m happy to introduce him to. He avidly requests that I try just one bite of his pizza, which has pineapple on it, and although I was initially very reluctant, I’m shocked to find that I actually like it, to Leo's immense satisfaction. We banter on occasion as we watch, and by the end of the first episode he's already agreed to do fanart of some of the characters for me.

I've gotten used to sitting across from him when we've met up for meals, and I get butterflies in my stomach from sitting side by side now. Although we hug and occasionally touch hands and whatnot, we haven't done anything too blatantly romantic over the weeks. It has felt necessary, for me at least. But then as we sit here on the couch, I keep wishing he'd put his arm around me or something.

We've just finished episode three and I self consciously try to assure him, "The earlier stuff is a little more cartoony-kiddish but it gets sooo amazing over time, I promise."

"I don't mind cartoony, I like it just fine so far! I can be in it for the long haul."

Something about the way he said that makes my heart thump harder against my sternum. Taking a little initiative of my own, I lean into him, letting my cheek rest against his shoulder. He reflexively moves in too, touching the side of his head against mine. Not quite the arm wrapped around me… It's still nice, but… I suddenly want to make sure of something.

"Do I make you nervous?"

Leo considers this for a moment. "Mmm, what do you mean by that?"

"You just seem a little - I don't know - careful, I guess, around me? "

Sensing this might be an important conversation, he straightens up so he can turn to me. He's so close. Close enough that I catch the bits of gold in his eyes.

"Maybe that's true, I think I hold back sometimes. You know how impulsive I can be. I just… I don't take this second chance to be in your life for granted."

I stare down at my hands. "I appreciate it. It's been so long at this point, though… You can relax a little, okay?"

Before he can answer me, I meet his gaze again. When I was living with him, I didn't compliment him all that often, always so afraid of being too vulnerable. But I'm feeling an urge to make up for that, now that he maybe needs it a little more.

"Leo, I want you to know that I'm seeing how hard you've tried to make up for everything. I feel like I can tell you anything and you'll listen to me now. I really enjoy spending time with you… You're so fun. And caring. And patient. And... attractive. And you're a really, really good cook."

There's a moment of silence and he’s blushing fervently at this point, taken aback by my barrage of words. “Th-thank you,” he finally stutters, “Uhhhh… I, um…”

“Ha,” I say playfully, and I harken back to an old conversation we’ve had, “It’s not always so easy getting showered with compliments, is it?”

“I guess it depends on who’s giving the compliments,” he answers with an embarrassed grin.

I scoot in even closer. We're on the edge of a precipice. So close to jumping in. I want to make sure we're as unburdened as possible before we do. Make sure nothing's left unsaid.

"Can I share a concern?" I ask quietly.

"Please do."

"I can't help but worry that, maybe subconsciously, you're spending so much time with me because you feel guilty... I wouldn't want that."

Leo shakes his head and takes my hand, our fingers interlocking, as he searches my eyes. "Can I share my concern?" he says softly.

"Of course."

"I worry that you're spending so much time with me because I manipulated you for so long. Even if I didn't quite mean to… you deserve better than that."

I bring my free hand up to his face, run my fingers through his hair, letting out a small laugh. "How long are we going to keep torturing ourselves?"

His laugh matches mine. "That's a very good question."

Any distance between us is too much. I’m leaning forward, pulled in closer like he's a magnet. Really take him in. This stupid boy who's made stupid choices… and then learned from them. We've been through heaven and hell, we've gotten this far, and I feel like I could get through anything with him now. I don’t know if I can ever completely get over the past. But I know his heart. I want it, I want him

"I love you." I say it plainly for the first time.

His eyes widen, brow creasing with emotion before he breaks into a wide smile. The unbridled joy that blooms inside him is palpable. "I love you too, Lily," he whispers, his hand moving to the back of my head, "so much–"

And the distance closes, our lips touch, our bodies intertwine and I let myself be consumed. It's both familiar and new as I realize that this is it, this is real, and it's better than I could have ever imagined. I finally feel like I can let everything flow, without anger or fear or confusion to hold me back. We kiss for a while, purely, passionately, until we're both breathless and giggling.

"If I'm not supposed to hold back… I want to ask you properly this time," Leo says, pulling away to look at me. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"God," I laugh, blushing and teasing him even as I try to kneel up on the couch so that I can wrap my arms around his neck. "You are so cheesy–"

He follows my movements, kissing my cheek and pulling me onto his lap as he protests, "Let me have this!"

"Yes." I snuggle into him, holding him tightly, "Yes. I'd love that."

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm

Chapter 8

The reality of the past two weeks is that not all that much has changed. I still go to work as usual, I go to the gym sometimes, I go home to cook and clean and play video games. Leo and I are continuing to take things quite slow overall by only meeting in public or video chatting when we’re at home. We still grab lunch frequently, and the main difference now is that our hellos and goodbyes include kisses along with our hugs. There are a couple of fancier dates in the mix, a nice dinner here, a trip to the movies there. We’re touchier too, always holding hands and the like, but we still talk about the same types of things - we’re still the same people.

And yet I’m on cloud nine. I’ve never been in a relationship before, or at least not a “normal” one that's actually consensual and in which my partner's size is anywhere near my own. Just the fact that we’ve made things official makes me feel like a blushing schoolgirl. It’s hard not to feel so silly about how enamored I am with the whole thing, but I decide to cut myself some slack and let myself enjoy it. I can now say that I have a fun, caring, sexy boyfriend who I absolutely love spending time with. Sure, we have a lot in our past that makes things not quite so simple, but when I’m home and spend time journaling about our dates with all my colorful markers and stickers like I’m in the eighth grade, I’m honestly okay with occasionally pretending that everything really is so simple and perfect.

That’s why it’s a little bit jarring when I pull up to Leo’s apartment building to visit him two weeks later like we’d planned. It’s not that I’m not happy to see him, but… I’m just not quite sure how I feel about returning here. I know it definitely isn’t going to be simple revisiting this space. But I’d like to try and get over that as quickly as I can.

I hesitate in front of his door for several seconds before knocking, my heart rate picking up. I don’t have to wait very long for Leo to answer, and I’m momentarily set at ease by the sight of him and his large smile as he lets me in.

“Eyyy, happy Friday!” he chirps and he’s a little more enthusiastic than he might be in public, picking me up and spinning me around as he kisses my cheek. “Thanks for coming over, love.”

“Good to be back,” I say, beaming as he sets me back down, though I’ve said it automatically and add a tentative “I think?” as I glance at the familiar living room - couch, TV, coffee table, desk, bookshelf... It feels a bit dumb to comment on how small it all feels. Not that it’s actually cramped in here or anything, but it still feels like I’m in a miniature version of a stadium-sized room.

"Maybe just… weird to be back?" Leo asks, and he gives me a bit of space to take everything in.

“Yeah,” I agree absently, stepping further inside and looking around.

He hasn’t changed very much about the area, although I notice that the mini sponge-based couch that used to be a staple on the coffee table is notably missing. Glancing towards the kitchen, the little box where he kept my old dishes isn’t on the counter either. I step closer to his desk against the far wall where I’d sometimes hang out with him while he was working from home. Some of his art supplies are still here. But I don’t see any other tiny forms of entertainment that he’d bring over for me. Of course I don’t.

I sit down on the couch. Run my fingers over its surface. Gaze at every item in view. Remembering so many little moments in this room.

A nugget of anxiety has lodged itself into my chest and is expanding like a balloon. This all just feels so wrong. Seeing my old living space so distorted is a lot more unnerving than I was anticipating and my breath starts growing shallow.

“You okay?” Leo’s soft voice actually makes me jump and he gingerly slides into the space next to me on the couch, his dark eyes watching me with concern. “Was this a bad idea?”

“Sorry,” I tell him, my voice wavering as I realize there are tears in my eyes.

“Don’t,” he says, putting his arms around me and scooting closer until our heads are touching. “We can talk about it, we can go somewhere else. Whatever you need.”

“I’ll be okay, I think I just need a minute,” I try to assure him, wiping at my eyes. “I wasn’t expecting…” I trail off and fall into silence.

He tries to help me get it out. “Is it, like… PTSD? Being here again?”

“Um…” I say as I breathe in slowly. “It’s more like I feel…” I struggle to pinpoint it for a moment. “...homesick?” is where I finally settle.

I don’t think Leo was expecting that answer. I wouldn’t have thought it would be that either. Most of the time that I lived here I’d felt like this was my prison. It’d make more sense if I was reacting negatively, maybe flashbacking to some painful memories. It’s incredibly odd to instead feel a sense of yearning, looking at a piece of my old life right in front of me that’s now unattainable.

I try to logic through it. “I never really got to say goodbye to this place. It all went so fast when I left with Nathan. And now everything feels so different. It’s freaking me out.”

My boyfriend hugs me a little tighter, and I squeeze him right back. Him holding me like this is comforting, at least. I take a couple more deep breaths, slowly starting to calm down again.

“I’ll get over it,” I assure him and I turn my head to kiss his neck, managing a smile. “It’ll probably feel weird seeing your bedroom too. I’m guessing the dollhouse and stuff is gone?”

Leo pulls away so he can face towards me, his hand moving down to rest on my knee now. “Yeah, I cleared off the desk and the shelf. Though I haven’t gotten rid of anything yet, it’s all packed away in the closet.”

“Oh? That’s a bulky thing to hold on to.”

“Well I didn’t want to throw it away, I figured I’d sell it off at some point. I just haven’t been able to get myself to do it yet.”

“What about the device?”

“It’s in the bedroom too. Oh, yeah, I was going to give that back to you tonight - want me to go get it right now?”

I take another slow breath. “Sure. I’ll come with, might as well face everything.”

We get up and Leo leads the way, gently holding my hand behind him as we walk down the hall. We step inside and I take it in gradually - the familiar sight of his bed, the windows, the wall decor. My heart sinks at the sight of the empty desk. I was expecting it, and I don’t feel the same amount of anxiety this time, but the tears threaten once again.

“Lily…” Leo’s giving me the most pitiful look, like a dog in the middle of receiving a bath.

“No, no, it’s okay!” I try to assure him with a smile, and I do think I’m bouncing back a little faster this time. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to come over tonight only to get all depressed.”

“No need to apologize, love... I just wish I knew the best way to help.”

I think he’s trying not to stifle me with too many hugs, but honestly his touch is all I want right now and I wrap my arms around his torso, giving him permission to pull me into another avid embrace. He rubs my back and kisses my temple and I let out a sigh.

“This helps,” I say, squeezing for emphasis before I let go again. “Okay, let’s pull all the bandaids off so I can just process everything or whatever and we can play video games. Which drawer is it in?”

Leo keeps his eyes on me warily but he nods and motions with his head over to the dresser. “Right here,” he says and he steps over to it, opening the top drawer and reaching into the back of it.

The small black device comes into view, and as I reflexively put my hand out I'm staring at its approach, continuing to stare after it’s placed onto my palm. I’m not sure how this thing should be making me feel. I wait for a wave of fear or anxiety or anger even. None of that comes. Seconds are passing and all I’m feeling is a very strange sense of calm. More time passes and I’m still staring at it.

“Maybe…” I finally whisper.

“No.”

I flinch, a little startled as my gaze snaps back up. There’s a severe tension in Leo’s expression. He's looking at me like I’m a bomb about to explode.

“No what?” I ask, blinking.

“I don’t know. No pressuring yourself. No tricking yourself. Whatever’s going on right now.”

I look back down at the device. What is going on right now? Am I seriously feeling a sense of longing? It doesn’t make any sense. The many weeks that I spent tiny were some of the hardest, most stressful times that I’ve ever been through. Sure, it wasn’t all bad. Sure, even during my captivity I had wondered and fantasized about what it might be like if we had gone about it in a consensual manner. Sure, I still reminisce about some of it to this day… But do I actually want to try any of it again? Am I actually considering this?

Yes. I am, I realize. I seriously, actually am.

I meet his gaze again. “Leo, clearly I… miss it, on some level. Don't you?”

His frown deepens. “Of course I do. But I made a promise - to you, to myself. Never again, love. Not when we’re finally doing things the right way. I don’t understand, you keep telling me that when you talk about it, it’s 'not an invitation.'”

He’s looking very anxious at this point. Fearful, even. I take his hand in mine, surprised by how shaky he is.

“Let’s just talk this out,” I say soothingly, trying to help him calm down. “I'm still trying to figure it out myself. What are you scared of, exactly? Do you think you’ll revert back to Mr. Hyde?”

His frown softens a little. “No. I don’t think that.”

“What then?”

He lets out a heavy sigh, his muscles still taught. "I'm scared that… that you're only even having these thoughts because you really did develop some kind of stockholm syndrome with me. I don't want to end up traumatizing you again without meaning to and ruining this amazing new thing we have and… and end up losing you again.”

I don't think I'd quite seen it before now. I knew Leo was dealing with guilt and a certain amount of self loathing, but now that I’m seeing the fear in his eyes I'm realizing it… I'm not the only one who was deeply traumatized by everything that happened a couple of months ago.

“Hey.” I reach up and gently touch his cheek, desperate to reassure him. “I’m not going anywhere. Okay?”

He stares into my eyes for a moment and his hand floats up to his face to lay on top of mine. Mustering a weak smile, he nods.

"C'mere," I say, grasping his fingers now and pulling him towards me. "I've wanted to do this for a while."

I sit right onto his bed and he slowly follows suit, taking a seat next to me. Trying to lighten things up a bit, I get to my knees on top of the mattress so that I can gently shove him down to lying on the bed, and I'm rewarded with a chuckle as he lets me push him around. I recline alongside him, putting my head on the other side of the pillow so that we can face each other. This is on the more intimate side for us and I'm blushing a little, but I carefully try to slip back into our conversation.

"Maybe you're right," I say softly, "Maybe it's a bad idea. But… what if it's not? What if we could actually have fun with it in a consensual and healthy way?"

Leo continues to look so confused. "You're serious right now?"

"Hey, I don't know, I might totally freak out and not be okay with it... But the big difference now is that you would listen to me and undo anything I don't want, right?"

"Of course…" We're so close to each other and I'm able to catch the subtle ways in which his expression is starting to shift. He still looks anxious. But behind the layer of fear I'm seeing the tiniest flicker of interest.

I continue musing quietly. "After these months of truly falling in love with you, I just… I just want to know what it's like to have you… hold me again. In your hand. To lay on your chest. To hug you… while I’m little."

Smiling, I put my hand on his cheek again, positioning my thumb up where my whole body used to go. Just… pretending for a second.

"I really came to enjoy a lot of that, as much as I didn't want to admit it back then. I don’t know, it seems like a shame to not even try."

He searches my face with his gaze. Even now I'm recalling what it was like to lay on the pillow with him like this but when there was so much more of him to look at. It gives me a flutter in my stomach.

Leo lets out a wistful sigh. "That is… honestly, amazing to hear. But are you sure you're not just saying this for my sake?" he insists, "I'm seriously okay just using my imagination forever."

"Dude." I let out a laugh. "I can't believe I'm the one trying to convince you right now."

"Hey, I've been spending months making peace with the thought that I'd never see you tiny again. I really wasn't expecting this, Lily."

I lean forward to give him a brief kiss. "No promises, okay? I might change my mind."

"And that's alright," he says with a smile, "You are completely in control this time."

"Well… technically no. You're still the one who has to push the button. You feeling capable of that?"

"I… I think I can manage." His smile is a bit wider this time as he can't help the little glint of anticipation in his eye. That spark that used to terrify me once upon a time. And I'm now sharing in the excitement instead.

Though I feel a little nauseous too. "Oh man," I say, sitting upright on the bed, "I am pretty nervous. Okay, could you just like… make me an inch shorter? Just to remind myself what the sensation feels like."

Leo sits up next to me. "Right now? Are we really doing this?"

"Why not? You with me?”

Every once in a while when I have an idea in mind, I get this fierce sense of determination to see it through. It's a fire that can't be put out. Whether it's good or bad, I'm now feeling the intense desire to find out what it would be like to be small again, in this safe space.

My partner clearly sees this resolve in me and is looking more open and enlivened in return. “Alright… Let’s try it."

miss-lillipants
Visitor
Visitor

Post by miss-lillipants » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:04 am

A very welcome back to these 2 :)
Anty : )

Please don't ask me to RP

littlest-lily
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Post by littlest-lily » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:45 pm

miss-lillipants wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:04 am
A very welcome back to these 2 :)
Awww, thank you so much!!

Chapter 9

I sit there on the bed, cross-legged, feeling exceedingly nervous and excited all at once. I had never allowed myself to think we might ever try this again. I hadn’t considered that my random daydreams remembering what it was like to be miniature would ever translate to this. It hits me in a way that I haven’t thought about in a while… this technology is insane. The way we're about to manipulate the laws of physics is insane.

"I'll plug things in ahead of time so that there's no surprises." Leo is sounding a bit more exuberant at this point. "Have I ever shown you how this works? Here, this is where you can input the height."

I haven't really watched the screen so closely before, and it feels good to be part of the process now, even if I don't have the right fingerprints to operate the machine myself. He inputs 5’1” into the target height. A single inch shorter… That’s not so scary. It would make almost no difference to me even if it was something permanent. Nice and easy. He hovers his thumb over the round input button and looks up at me for approval.

“Go ahead,” I say before my teeth clench up and my chest tightens.

His thumb presses down and the influx of warmth is immediate. It passes through me like a wave - skin tingling, head slightly dizzy - and then it’s gone.

I blink up at my boyfriend sitting beside me. “Can you tell?”

He puts a hand on top of my head, partly to get a sense of my height and partly to give me a comforting pat. “I think so? It’s very subtle. Feel okay?”

“Yeah.” I nod, and it feels so nice to be telling the truth. The shrinking process itself isn’t particularly pleasant as it’s pretty disorienting. But it really makes such a difference having this be on my terms. “Yeah that wasn’t bad. I think I can do more.”

Leo grins. “I never thought I’d see the day when you genuinely mean that. Darn, now I can’t tease you about wanting to be smaller if you actually want to be smaller.”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way to carry on,” I scoff, rolling my eyes.

He kisses me on the cheek and I can sense how excited he feels, like electricity against my skin. “So what do you think, short stuff? How much more should I shave off then?”

I ponder this for a moment. It would make sense to take this bit by bit, maybe just take a foot off now, then later spend some time at only half my height and call it a day. But something about that doesn’t feel right. I realize that I’m yearning for something very, very specific.

“Honestly…” I say slowly, “I… I miss my old normal.”

Leo takes this in, concern crawling back onto his face. “That’s… Don’t you think that’s a bit much, love? I figured you’d want to take it slow.”

I shrug, feeling embarrassed for some reason as I look off to the side. “Maybe. Would you not want that yet?”

I’m fine,” he assures me, “But it's-”

“Then let’s try it,” I interrupt, looking back up at him with a shy smile. “I just really want to know how I feel if I go back. I’m going to be constantly wondering about it otherwise… I just want to see.”

He stares at me for a couple of beats before he nods. “I can stop it and restore you at any point, okay?”

“Thank you.” I give him a wider smile and he returns it in spades.

“Here, let me give you some space,” he says, sliding off of the bed. He starts out standing, then reconsiders and kneels down on the floor instead, presumably so that he won’t tower over me menacingly once I’m smaller. I can’t help but laugh and feel a wave of love for him as I’m now looking down at him from my perch. He’s actually being thoughtful and considerate of my experience this time. It's kind of fun.

He fiddles with the device and then holds up the screen for me to see the target size: 3”. We exchange one last significant look, his eyes silently asking me “you're sure?” and mine answering with a “yes.” Leo presses the button.

Down I go. Oh god, this is happening. The warmth is a bit more intense this time and the dizziness makes me waver in place so I’m glad I’m sitting down. The surface of the blanket starts shifting under and around me and my eyes widen as I watch the walls and ceiling begin to stretch away. The falling feeling is more intense than I was expecting and my breath catches in my throat.

Crap… Did I overestimate what I was capable of? I hold steady, looking to Leo as I reach child-size. He’s watching me intently, already appearing incredibly tall despite his eye level still being below mine. The sight of him helps ground me to a certain extent, even though watching him get bigger and bigger is overwhelming in its own right.

This is so strange. I was once more accustomed to him being a giant. Now I’ve gotten used to him being a regular person again. I can’t quite bridge the gap in my brain as I watch him transform past the size of a normal human, until he’s more like a living statue, taking up greater and greater space as his form completely eclipses mine. Soon I’m no bigger than his head, and then our eye contact is level for just a moment before I’m looking up at him as I slowly sink into the bedsheets…

Neither one of us knows how we should be reacting. His eyes are fixated on me, lips slightly parted with apprehension as he tries to figure out how I’m doing, waiting for any kind of signal that he should stop this. At the same time, he’s starting to look a little overtaken with a different emotion, color softly blooming into his cheeks as he watches me dwindle before him.

Meanwhile, a sense of panic is rising up in me, the feeling of being like prey in a space that’s too wide and open and only getting more vast with every second. Yeah, I may really have overestimated myself here. Everything is getting too gigantic, it’s been too long, it’s become too unfamiliar—

And then it all becomes still. I sit on the hilly landscape of the bed, back in an alien world that I thought I’d left forever, facing an impossibly huge person.

Completely at his mercy.

“Too much, love?”

Leo speaks softly but it still makes me jump. That’s right, everything’s so much louder down here. Shit. I’m trembling at this point. Even his subtle movements - his mouth forming words, the blink of his eyelids, the way he’s leaning in slightly - overwhelm me for a second.

“Lily? Should I change you back?”

My breathing is shallow and I can't quite get myself to speak. The giant’s brow is furrowing now and I see out of my periphery that he’s lifting the device up again, taking my silence as a bad sign and trying to rectify this quickly.

“Wait,” I manage to choke out.

He pauses, mouth drawing into a thin line as he looks back up at me, muscles tensed. I clench my hands into fists in my lap. Close my eyes for a second and breathe in slowly. Open them again. Fuck, he’s so big... Deep breaths.

Leo gives me a tentative little smile. Another deep breath and I manage a weak smile back. I try to remind myself that I’m safe. I can have this reversed at any moment. I know I can trust the massive creature in front of me. I want to hang in there just a little longer.

Gradually my heart rate slows down. My body is starting to remember this, my brain is quickly drawing connections. I had spent so much time at this size before. It was a different life but things are coming back now. What it’s like to have quiet ambient noise now echoing in the distance. The feeling of thicker threads anytime I’m sitting on fabric. The wide, empty space all around me. My memories are starting to link up with my current reality.

The giant waits patiently, gazing at my reduced form on his bed as I calm down. As worried as he looks, I can tell that he’s quietly adoring the sight and is actively keeping himself in check. I finally break the silence.

“I’m getting there... You were right, this was probably too much, but… I think I’m okay?” I’m noticing a peculiar expression on Leo’s face as I’m talking and realize he’s straining to hear me. Another thing I needed to remind myself of, I have to speak up now. “I’m okay,” I repeat, louder this time.

He gives me the smallest nod, clearly trying not to make any sudden movements. His next exhale is a quiet sigh. “You’re amazing, love. Take your time… God, you’re so adorable.”

During my little freak out I’d been curling in on myself protectively, and I begin stretching out again and get a better sense of the space around me. I attempt to get to my feet, testing out my wobbly legs, and it’s actually the softness of the blanket that nearly gets the best of me - I almost fall over as I sink a little deeper than I expected. Leo flinches as he sees this but holds himself back and I maintain my balance.

“I’m out of practice!” I exclaim, and I manage a small laugh. “If this is going to be a regular thing I need my old gym back.”

My giant partner beams at this. “I kept most of it,” he says as I take a few hesitant steps on the bed, “Maybe I can make new stuff this time. Fear not, I still have the hamster wheel.”

I glare up at him and he chuckles. I notice that he seems to be having a hard time keeping still, as much as he’s really trying to. Meanwhile I feel like I’m getting the hang of the soft floor I’m on, getting more comfortable as I walk around.

Leo bites his lip as he watches me. “Can I… touch you?” he finally asks.

I stand in place, turning towards him. I do feel slightly nervous about how excited he looks, but it’s not enough to dampen my feelings for him. And this is honestly what I was looking forward to. Instead of answering, I open my arms out towards him as if asking for a hug.

His movements are slow, still restrained, as his hand appears up over the horizon of the mattress and he carefully starts sliding it towards me. My body reflexively tenses up at something so large approaching me since even just his hand is as long as a U-Haul, his fingers now as big as his whole body was a couple of minutes ago. But this is one of the most familiar sights of all, him reaching for me like this. And despite any fear, I want this so desperately.

His hand sidles up beside me, fingers curling around behind my small form. Ever so gently, his forefinger brushes up against the back of my head, middle finger touching me between the shoulder blades. The warm familiarity of them makes me sigh and I lean into him. I bring my attention back up to his eyes, which are even bigger now as Leo’s shifting closer to the bed, and I can see the flecks of gold in them so clearly now against the chocolate brown of his irises. I smile at him, reach a hand out to the side to touch his nearby palm, and the feeling of my tiny fingers against his skin makes his breath catch in his throat.

Our next movement feels so natural and practiced that it’s as if no time has passed at all. I push myself up onto his fingers, silently requesting for him to pick me up, and he moves against me in turn, scooping my little body up with ease. He carefully lifts me off the bed and he’s having trouble moving slowly now as he raises me higher, bringing me up to his face. The vertigo and the size of him is overwhelming and my heart is racing but I don’t care as I press myself into his cheek, finding my little nook up alongside his nose, and we revel in this embrace, this wonderful hug of mismatched scale. I’ve missed this feeling so much. And so has he, from what I can tell.

I start planting little kisses on his skin and Leo chuckles, practically squeeing in response. “I love you I love you I love you,” he gushes, and he shifts to give me a careful but passionate kiss on the side of the head before pulling his hand away and examining me avidly. “Christ, I didn’t realize just how much I missed this. Are you sure you’re doing alright, hon?”

“Yeah. Well, admittedly, I'm a little freaked out still…” I tentatively push myself to my feet on his palm, arms outstretched as I continue to get my bearings. “I guess I kinda jumped into the deep end. But I think I've got this.”

I try walking back and forth on his hand, which he flattens out for me. He's grinning in delight and holds it as still as he can, although I'm quickly remembering that movement is almost constant when being held like this.

"You're so light," he coos, "I keep worrying I'm going to knock you over…" I glance up apprehensively and crouch down in the middle of his palm in reaction to him saying that, making him laugh. "Don't worry, I'm being really careful. You're safe with me, little one."

I believe him. I notice his other hand is hovering nearby, cupping the space near me protectively in case I fall off - a reflex that has apparently stuck. We spend the next minute or so in relative quiet, taking each other in, me tracing the lines of his hand with fascination, him gently lifting and lowering me, trying to get his movements smoother.

"It's crazy that this used to be an all-the-time thing," I muse, glancing around the cavernous room, "How did we even function…"

"Oh, I remember," Leo murmurs and he brings up a finger to softly run it up the length of my arm, "I'd be able to slip back into that nooo problem."

I giggle as he reaches my neck and it tickles. I take hold of the digit, giving it an affectionate squeeze. "Yes, I'm sure you're quite disappointed that this is temporary."

"Mmm, I don't know… Maybe you've just made a terrible mistake, my love…"

The threat is obviously a jest but it makes my entire body tense up. I glance up at him with fear, clutching his finger tightly. The dreamy look on his face suddenly vanishes as he snaps out of his reverie and realizes what he just said.

"Sorry. Bad joke. Too soon."

"Uh huh," I say a little weakly, trying to relax again. "Definitely might… need more time."

"Yup, yup, that was my bad. I’m sorry, Lily… Did I lose my giant privileges? Device is right here whenever you're ready."

I release his finger but tap it reassuringly, even though I still feel a little shaky. "No, it's okay. I know you're just teasing, I'll loosen up eventually… It's just…"

I pause for a moment. Leo looks nervous as he tries to read my expression. He's no longer idly touching me, as if wanting to make extra sure I'm not feeling demeaned after his blunder, and he’s slowly lowering his hand down to rest it back on the bed. I think he wants to give me the option to get off if I want to, but I stay put on his palm and instead try to give him a reassuring smile to let him know he’s not in trouble.

"...I guess I'm trying to figure out what all this means for us," I finally say.

"Ah. Well…" It’s his turn to pause thoughtfully now before he responds, "Just for the record. I wouldn't actually suggest keeping you like this all the time. Even if that's what you wanted for whatever reason."

I narrow my eyes at him and tilt my head to the side skeptically. "Really? Totally selfishly, you wouldn't want that?”

He shakes his head, gaze softening. "A part of me would love it, of course. It obviously used to be what I wanted. But really, totally selfishly, I think I'd prefer the variety. Like… cuddling you and sneaking you around in public is all wonderful when you're small. But now I also like cuddling you and bringing you out in public at your full size. You know?”

My heart rate is steady again after that little anxiety spike. As we converse, I've readjusted to a more comfortable sitting position on Leo’s hand, refocusing on how lovely and warm and intimate it is being held by him like this, the more my body gets used to its miniature scale.

"Huh. Good to know," I say, "So… this is just… something we do from time to time? Just for fun?”

My smile is a tad suggestive and I absently start touching the skin I’m perched on. The tickle is enough to make the giant shudder with pleasure.

"That sounds fantastic to me,” he sighs, “Nothing you don't want. But if you're open to that, I… I do really love this.”

It’s not very difficult to make my boyfriend smile in our day to day, but it’s particularly easy to make him feel good in subtle ways when I’m like this, and I’m starting to get a kick out of it. I press on, though, knowing this conversation needs our attention. "Should we come up with, I don't know, rules or anything?”

At this Leo frowns in confusion. "Rule number one. You call the shots. The end.”

I frown back, sensing something here that makes me pause. "But I mean, listen. We're a couple now. We're meant to be… equal.” I readjust my position again, placing my hands in my lap as I give him a significant look. “Obviously if I'm not comfortable with something I'll say it, but I don't think I should be the only one to have a say, right? I want to make sure I'm meeting your needs too.”

Sometimes Leo looks at me like he doesn’t think I’m real. To be fair, that makes a little more sense in this moment when I’m three inches tall. But it’s more than that. He looks incredibly touched right now. He leans his head down towards the bed, resting his chin on the edge of the mattress, not too far from where I’m at, so that he can gaze at me.

"I don't deserve you, you know that?” he says quietly.

This might be my first relationship, but I feel like what I said is really basic for a normal couple. I guess we’re carrying a little extra baggage, though. It's understandable, but at the same time I don't want him to be completely crippled by his past mistakes forever.

I stand and step off his mammoth hand, peering up at his two-story-tall face before zeroing in on his mouth. His lips dwarf my whole head but I can still reach them without issue - I march right up and kiss his upper lip, pressing my face into the soft skin before taking a couple of steps back again. I give him a very stern look.

"Leo. It took us a while to get here. But I love you. And I'm so happy with you. And yes you've made mistakes, but you deserve happiness too. So please stop putting yourself down, alright?”

He lifts his head back off the mattress, blushing as he looks down at his tiny girlfriend on the bed sheets. With him so massive it’s easy for me to see the tears gathering up in his eyes. He quickly rubs them away with the heel of his other hand and clears his throat. “You know, I don’t remember being quite such an emotional sap before I knew you.”

“I bring out the best in people," I say brightly.

He lets out a deep sigh. "Thank you, love. Bear with me. I do still feel like I… owe you. A lot. And I know that I'm lucky to have you. So I guess I'd rather put your needs far before mine."

"I understand. But let's not let it get toxic, okay?"

"Okay. I'll try."

His hand is still laying on the bed behind me and he slides it closer to where I’m standing, extending his forefinger tentatively. I playfully rub my cheek and neck against it like I'm a cat, getting Leo's smile to return.

"So, as far as the shrinking," he says, "I'll at least promise to not spring it on you. Let's just… communicate? Maybe sometimes we plan something specific. Maybe I'll request it, and you're free to say yes or no. Maybe you'll request it… and I'll almost definitely say yes. If it's ever too much or whatever, we can discuss it at any point."

God, does it feel amazing to not have to negotiate being above a certain size or whatever else. We can just actually talk like normal people, about everything. I appreciate how far we've come. This is how it should have been from the start, and I'm so thankful that we get a chance to rewrite our story.

"Sounds like a plan, babe," I purr, kissing his finger.

His eyebrows shoot up with sudden interest. "Babe? That's new."

I glance up at him self consciously "I… figure I shouldn't be the only one with pet names. Hmm, I guess it sounds more natural when you do it. Should I steal yours then, love?"

"Ooooo. Say that again," Leo says with a grin, leaning towards me.

"Or maybe darling? Schnookums? Wubby dubby pookie pants?"

He laughs as his face gets closer and closer. "Uh huh, just keep 'em coming…"

But I couldn't have gotten any more out as we're both giggling now and he's nuzzling into me, tenderly pressing his fingertips into my back to pull me in for another hug. It's a lot, there's so much of him completely surrounding me, but he's being so gentle and my joy is outweighing my nervousness as I continue to welcome these opportunities to get used to the scale of his body. I'm up against his cheek again when out of nowhere, my stomach growls. Loudly.

"Oh, jeez, I felt that," Leo laughs, carefully pinching me on either side of my waist so that he can pull me back off his face. "Shoot, we completely forgot about dinner! I have burrito bowl stuff prepped in the fridge, just need to assemble them real quick, is that okay?"

I'm a bit embarrassed, I hadn't even noticed how hungry I was getting. But I nod eagerly. "And then we can finally start Mass Effect. Your game disc is going to feel seriously sad if we neglect it again tonight."

He nods back and reaches out of my line of sight for the shrinking device. "Okay, let's get you back up here. Right?"

For a moment I consider the idea of staying at this size for the evening. But quickly I come to the conclusion that I've already thrown a lot at myself at once when I wasn't even planning on this, and that being carried around, eating giant food and who knows what else might be a bad idea at this point.

"Yeah, I probably shouldn't overdo it," I agree, "Maybe next time we plan for a shrink-appropriate meal."

"I can't believe we're planning a next time… I'm not dreaming, am I?"

"Not unless I am."

“Whew. Alright. Say goodbye to your little fairy world for now.”

And I actually do, taking one last look around the room as the tingling sensation dashes across my skin and warmth overtakes me. As I grow again, the dwindling giant has to start looking up at me once more from his spot on the floor and he gets to his feet as I approach my full size.

“Thanks for not looking too disappointed,” I tease, squinting against the last of the dizziness as my height settles, “now that I’m not quite so cute.”

Leo leans down to take my face in his hands and kiss me fervently on the mouth. “You’re still just as gorgeous to me now, love,” he murmurs, running his thumb along my chin, “Besides…”

I yelp in surprise as suddenly he shifts his arms to my back and under my legs, easily lifting me up into a bridal carry and giving me a cocky smile.

“You’re my precious little one no matter what.”

I laugh, wrapping my arms around his neck, and snuggle into him as he carries me away to dinner, the two of us buzzing in the aftermath of all that just happened and all the possibilities that have opened up for us now.

*~*~*

Aaaand that’s all I have for the moment! I have plenty more ideas for these two and their newfound relationship, so I’m pretty confident there will be future installments - especially now that the doors to consensual shrinking have opened! This just felt like a nice stopping point until I start their next little arc. 😊

In the meantime, I’ve been working away at Out of their Element part 2! Hoping to start posting it in the next few weeks~

Firewall
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by Firewall » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:10 am

Great to catch up with these two. I look forward to the many adventures come their way.