Babysitter

The board to share all your fiction
gtquik702
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Babysitter

Post by gtquik702 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:55 pm

“Dad!” I yelled, “I’m 18, I don’t need a babysitter!”

My parents were always the overprotective kind. They always went out of their way to make sure their little baby boy never got injured, bullied, or prevented from having any freedom whatsoever. I glared at my dad, who responded.

“Ryan, the last thing we want you to be doing is driving around and getting into accidents and other reckless activities. We are getting someone to take care of you and that’s final!”

They were adamant about leaving me with a babysitter while they were going away on their 7-day vacation to Spain. I glanced at my mum, who sighed.

“Listen, Your father’s right, we’re doing this so you can have the best.” She smiled sweetly, deterring me from snapping back at her. I simply nodded and she continued

“Now, I’ve left Casey some notes on how to look after you, so just listen to her ok?.” She leaned forward to kiss me on the cheek quickly, but whispered, “I’ve left some beer in the fridge, You deserve some alcohol now that you’re old enough,” she grinned at me and withdrew to my retreating father. “Love you! Stay safe!” I glumly waved at my mother as the door closed.

Then I turned to Casey, my “babysitter”. She was 25 years old, according to her resume. She had long, silky black hair, and dark eyes to match. She had a pale complexion and a Korean appearance. Her face was very pretty, almost like a K-pop idol was standing in my house. “So kiddo, what do you want to do?” She chirped.

I turned away and grunted, “I’ll be in my lab, call me when it’s time for dinner.” The girl sighed.

I was always the scrawny nerd, smarter but weaker than everyone else. I had a skinny frame, topped by short brown hair and freckles. My weakness meant I often found myself seeking solace in the basement of my house, which I had convinced my parents to turn into a lab. I also had to convince them that theoretical physics wasn’t as dangerous as it sounded.

I entered my lab, revealing my life’s work as the lights flickered to life. I admired my handiwork, a device that could tear holes in space-time, allowing objects to instantly travel from one end to the other. However, there was one fatal flaw…

I dropped my lab rats onto the plate and threw the switch. There was a noticeable ripping sound and a flash before the rats were transported onto the other plate, alive, but not too well. Anything I put into one end comes out 1/12 of their size at the other. I had no idea why it was happening, it literally broke nearly all laws of science.

I gently scooped up the rats onto a microscope slide and readied them for inspection, trying to uncover the mystery of shrinking.

Hours pass with no progress. I groan, knowing full well that this was the most likely outcome. I heed Casey’s call for food, and I make my way to the dinner table, ready to suppress my sorrows with a delicious meal. The food consisted of frozen pasta my mum had left in the freezer, which Casey had warmed up in a microwave. I highly doubted she had the ability to cook.

I sat silently at the table and began to wolf down my pasta. Casey stared at me a bit worriedly, and commented, “You alright?” I merely nodded and continued my meal. “You don’t need me to play with you or anything,”

I glared at her for that remark. “I’m 18, and an aspiring scientist. I think we both have better things to do than play.”

I heard her mutter under her breath, “Yeah that’s fair,” before she turned back to me. “Well your parents have written you need to go to bed at 9, so aspiring scientist or not, you have to follow the rules.”

“What?!” I exclaimed, “I- Uh- Y- Wh- You know what, fine. I’m too exhausted to complain.” My parents were the worst sometimes. I groaned and finished up my meal, sliding it into the dishwasher and continuing my hours of fruitless effort.

It made no sense! The rat was very much alive with perfect vitals and functioned normally, which shattered nearly every theory I had. I stared at the theories on my board, running them over in my head.

Atoms disappearing broke the law of conservation of mass.

Atoms being compressed was not the case given that the rats were much, much lighter.

Atoms being rearranged was unexplainable.

And the fact that the rats were alive broke the square-cube law. I just didn’t get it!

The door to my lab slid open and in walked Casey, dressed in a… revealing black shirt and skirt. “Hey, Ryan! It’s 9!” She said, walking down the stairs.

“I know, just gimme a few minutes,” I replied, leaning my head against my hands, resisting the temptation to scream into them. The footsteps came closer and Casey’s voice echoed behind me.

“Is this what you’re working on?” She asked, probably admiring the teleporter plate.

“Yeah,” I sighed, still staring at my theories.

“Well, I’ll turn off your stuff for you, just make sure you’re up in a few minutes.” She offered sweetly. I didn’t respond…

Until I heard the familiar sound of the teleporter starting up.

“Wait what?!” I whipped around, watching as Casey flipped the switch for the teleporter. “What’s up, kid?” She asked, concerned. She approached me, stepping onto the teleporter plate in the process.

“No don’t stand there!”

It was too late. With a brilliant flash of light, Casey had disappeared, transported to the other side of the room, 4 inches tall. I groaned and swore. This was going to get messy…

And this is where I was stopped by writer's block. However, I thought it had too much potential to just leave alone in my documents folder, so I invite anyone who wants to to add to this story! I might jump on it again if I feel motivated, but in the mean time, add whatever you want. Extra chapters, illustrations, discussion, go crazy.

Rusco57
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Babysitter

Post by Rusco57 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:14 pm

This is great!! Hopefully you'll progress with this...

Supernaut
Shrink Apprentice
Shrink Apprentice

Babysitter....a great start.

Post by Supernaut » Wed May 24, 2023 11:33 pm

But sadly, with her size being constant, my ideas won't fi to continue it -
My best friend gave me the best advice ;)
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Thu May 25, 2023 1:20 am

"This was going to get messy"..........it could be fun, but I picture Sheldon Cooper as the kid so..........it's gonna be rated PG.

Harrys
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Harrys » Thu May 25, 2023 6:20 am

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes and how it develops with the collaboration of others.

Bobascher
Shrink Master
Shrink Master

Post by Bobascher » Thu May 25, 2023 11:02 am

This feels a lot like Adventures in Baby-Doll-Sitting by The Reducer, particularly the beat of the geeky science kid needing a babysitter though he is much too old for it.

Captainsinbad
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Post by Captainsinbad » Tue May 30, 2023 2:11 pm

I think you would have had a much more interesting premise if the device only teleported living matter and the size displacement was 1/2 instead of 1/12. By suddenly zapping her to 4 inches, you literally put yourself in a box.

DocRick
Shrink Grand Master
Shrink Grand Master

Post by DocRick » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:11 am