Pespective and Self

A place to talk about shrunken women in any form
rscholar
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Pespective and Self

Post by rscholar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 am

A bit heady topic so please bear with me.

What are your thoughts on how an SW sees herself before, during, and after shrinking in terms of what she is? Obviously there are the bits where she or maybe her captor calls her a doll or a pet or something, but I'm thinking of something deeper in which it's not just changing size but changing her identity in a way.

I don't know if that's a fully formed thought, but two things kind've got me thinking about it that might help explain a little more:

-I remember some time ago when there was a big, forum-wide survey gauging likes and preferences from members and one of the questions was something like, "Do you like altering an SW's mind or personality change?" I answered No because I took to mean something like obedience training or breaking her and I genuinely don't go for that, but the more I've thought about it, I feel like the question could mean something like if an SW changes because she's small and sees herself differently, which could happen if, say, as a woman of authority or physical strength, her being shrunk completely changes how she interacts with the world and alters her sense of self, which I do like.

-As a semi consumer of anime, I've noticed a difference in language during shrinking - Eastern dialogue usually goes something like "My body has shrunk," while Western dialogue goes, "*I* have shrunk." It's like the separation of mind and body versus the total self - the former says physcial change doesn't affect the inner self, the latter says the inner and outer self are one and the same and physcial change alters identity.

Does that make sense and do you guys have any thoughts on it?

i am insane
Shrink Aprentice
Shrink Aprentice

Re: Pespective and Self

Post by i am insane » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Well, if we're talking about perception, you've gotta mention the fact that from the shrinkee's perspective, even if they know intellectually they're getting smaller, it will always seem like everything, and more importantly everyone is getting bigger instead. It seems like semantics, but it means that in their view, they aren't small, it's that person that's big. It's only once time has passed, and more and more things that were once normal are now proven to be different, that that change would properly happen.

Besides that, on the identity, depends both on the SW in question and their situation they've been plunged in. If it's a nice gentle situation where a giant is basically doing their best to coddle them and treat them like a person, then it's natural they'll keep thinking like they're a person, or, at worst, a beloved pet.

If they are degraded and humiliated, if someone tries to break their will, makes them say 'Master' or what not, then the path will be laid for them to start considering themselves a slave or toy.

This is only something that seems to come up in GTS stuff sadly, but if they just.... aren't considered anymore, if they're just unimportant to those around them, at best some replaceable thing that there's countless substitutes for, that could destroy their self worth completely. I'll admit that last dynamic is something that really interests me.
Looking at odd reflections, a twisted cacophony of screaming lights and broken sights.

ssb-swscreenshots
Shrink Adept
Shrink Adept

Re: Pespective and Self

Post by ssb-swscreenshots » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm

I'd say it largely depends on the type of content the SW moment has. Some SW's are scared and/or pissed off about their situation, others merely enjoy the thought of being tiny and unseeable, while others still are outright turned on by shrinking down to size. That last one doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worried about what'll happen to them, though all the ones I've seen like that are limited to one room.

All in all, I'd say what the SW thinks of herself shrunken down depends on the context of what's going on. As for the SW fans, I'd probably say it's up to their imagination to decide what the woman thinks of her scenario.